Janikowski also absent from practice; Pryor maturing as leader

By Steve Corkran
Wednesday, September 11th, 2013 at 3:15 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Coach Dennis Allen added kicker Sebastian Janikowski’s name to the list of those players held out of practice Wednesday.
Unlike the other players, however, Janikowski is all but a sure thing to play Sunday against the Jacksonville Jaguars.
“I don’t think it’s a major factor or anything,” Allen said. “Again, we have a long season and we don’t want this to be something that’s going to be a lingering injury. We’re going to be smart with him. We’ll limit the amount of times he’s kicking, but he’ll be fine.”
Tight end David Ausberry, offensive tackle Menelik Watson and strong safety Tyvon Branch also missed practice today.

– Linebacker Sio Moore returned to practice Wednesday, and he appears better suited to play in a game now than he did last week.
Moore played only eight defensive snaps against the Colts last week because of a sore toe. Allen said he anticipates Moore being ready for a heightened role against the Jaguars.
With that being said, Allen said, Kaluka Maiava is someone the Raiders can benefit from having on the field often, as he was against the Colts.
“We definitely like Kaluka,” Allen said. “He’s a good football player, and we got to find ways to get him on the field and let him play.”

– Colts defensive end Robert Mathis joked about running more than five miles while chasing after Pryor on Sunday. There were times when Mathis and other Colts defenders either gasped or retired to the sideline for a breather.
Meanwhile, Pryor and the rest of the Raiders went about their business, content knowing they had an edge over their weary counterparts.
It’s all part of the adjustments taking place with the Raiders, as they adjust to life with Pryor as their quarterback.
Wide receiver Denarius Moore summed it up this way:
“It’s going to be easier for you to get open because the (defensive backs) normally are going to be confused if they should come up and make a play on Terrelle or if they should go at you,” Moore said.
“With that being said, it makes sense that when your number is called, a normal play takes three to five seconds but with Terrelle can last up to 10 seconds.”
Pryor said even though he and others are fatigued, too, they’re still of the belief that they have an edge.
“It was kind of easy on (the offensive linemen) because the defensive line of Indianapolis was tired, and it helped them out and they didn’t have to move as much,” Pryor said. “I was pretty much eluding guys and doing my thing. But they were pretty sharp. Some guys were huffing and puffing, but that’s football.”
To that end, Pryor said offensive linemen and others are spending more time on the treadmill and boosting their cardio in light of what lies ahead over the course of a long season.
Center Stefen Wisniewski said he and his linemates held up fine against the Colts. Even so,
“It’s definitely a whole different mind-set as far as protection goes,” Wisniewski said. “It’s something that we’re going to have to practice. You don’t just turn a switch and go from blocking for 4 seconds to blocking for 8 seconds.
“It’s something that you kind of have to work at. The more that we work with him, we’ll kind of start getting used to that and getting used to the fact that, we’re going to look back, he’s rolling out and we got to go find some work.”

– Pryor keeping alive plays and running often isn’t without its flaws. Several times against the Colts, Pryor found himself light on time as the play clock ticked down.
“It’s a factor of a lot of things, especially when you got a guy that’s running down the field and then when the ball is out of bounds the play clock starts,” Allen said. “We’ve made an emphasis on, get to the huddle, let’s get the play called, let’s get in and out of the huddle faster so we got more time to see them when we get to the line of scrimmage.”
Pryor said that’s one of the many things that he is working on in an attempt to become a more well-rounded player.
“You just get winded,” Pryor said, “and I’ve just got to keep on getting better at that. Maybe I’m not good at being in condition. Maybe I’ve got to condition more or something like that.
“But I don’t think that’s the issue. I just think it’s just I’m so psyched up, it’s just in the game and it’s in the moment, and I’m just huffing and puffing and trying to get the play call out. But I’ve got to figure out a way to get better at that and we’ll be a lot better this week, I can promise that.”

– Then there’s the matter of Pryor knowing when to take a hit or when to give up on a play.
Allen said that remains a work in progress, but it’s something that Pryor needs to grasp so that he has a better chance of holding up through an entire season.
That fact isn’t lost on Pryor, either.
“I’m 6-foot-5, 238 (pounds), I feel like I take that stuff on,” Pryor said. “But you have to play smart because you want to last and you want to give the team the best chance to win.”
Therefore, Pryor said, he’s going to be more conscious of picking his spots as to when to sacrifice his body in exchange for a chance at picking up a first down or a touchdown.
“When we’ve got to keep the chains moving when it’s most important, I believe I’ll probably do whatever I have to do to go get the first. But after that, I can’t sit here and lie to you because I’m so competitive I might forget. I need to get down, absolutely. I have to. I got guys counting on me and I need to get down.”
Allen, naturally, is worried about his starting quarterback taking one too many hits, as was the case with the Redskins Robert Griffin III last season.
Griffin III ended up with a serious knee injury that required surgery, and he only now is back on the field, though he is wearing a brace and doesn’t look like the same dynamic player he was last season.
“The thing you have to understand is when’s it time to declare the play over,” Allen said. “You don’t want to take any of his athleticism away from him because he has the ability to make some big plays.
“What you want to do is limit the amount of times he takes the hit. So he’s got to do a good job of seeing that he can get what he can get and not take the hit at the end of the play.”

– Now that Pryor is the unquestioned starter, he no longer needs to wonder whether his teammates are following his lead.
That wasn’t always the case, he said. In fact, as recently as two weeks ago, Pryor felt unsure how much clout he had with his teammates.
“When it was me and Matt going at it, it’s kind of tricky to be a leader and lead guys,” Pryor said, “because who are they looking at? Me? Matt? Who are they looking at to lead them? Now that that’s decided, I’m just going to go out and be myself.”
As Pryor’s teammates are finding out more and more, being himself mean few, if any, days off.
“It’s been successful, getting the guys in, and I believe that’s why we had some success against Indianapolis,” Pryor said, “because we had guys like Darren McFadden, Marcel Reece, that wanted to get better, and they’re in a meeting room on an off day on Tuesday at 8 in the morning.
“That shows that you want to be successful and that’s just a burning desire to be successful. I believe that if we just keep on getting more guys to do that, we’re going to be better.”

– Allen had this to say to Raiders fans that haven’t purchased tickets for Sunday’s regular-season home-opener against the Jaguars:

• Scourage of the East

All the kiddies are still asleep!

:-)

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

E Reptile Dysfunction, if I wasn’t sure you suffered from excess earwax, I’d be jealous of your appellation.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Mr. Johnson ‏@twonYBAB 3h

@VicTafur chatted w/ this fella today. Said they’re gonna show OAK some love on Fox Sports 1 if Pryor impresses again pic.twitter.com/s1ySGk70jB
    Retweeted by Vic Tafur

Ced ‏@GetBreadCed 5h
    @VicTafur @MartinDP_ tryed getting tickets today only lower tickets remaining so has to be passed 85 percent
    Retweeted by Vic Tafur

• ModeratorFromHell

#503
    No Raider news here, if you please.

• Half-brained pootbutt

Should’ve saved this one.

• Zubenelgenubi

Sigourney Weaver as a blonde in Galaxy Quest is hot.

• Zubenelgenubi

smile :) :-) :smile: lol :lol:
    biggrin :D :-D :grin: redface :oops:
    sad :( :-( :sad: cry :cry:
    surprised :o :-o :eek: evil :evil:
    eek 8O 8-O :shock: twisted :twisted:
    confused :? :-? :???: rolleyes :roll:
    cool 8) 8-) :cool: exclaim :!:
    mad :x :-x :mad: question :?:
    razz :P :-P :razz: idea :idea:
    neutral :| :-| :neutral: arrow :arrow:
    wink ;) ;-) :wink: mrgreen :mrgreen:

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen mrgreen

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

:mrgreen:

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

• Scourage of the East

P-man, you must be really bored!

:mrgreen:

• romania

just for you pman

Just my Pryor/Houdini/Romper-stomper, and me…….

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Scourage of the East Says:
    P-man, you must be really bored!
    ====================================================

Remembering my guitar chops from a previous life, and still lusting after Sigourney.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

romania Says:
    just for you pman
    ==================================

Thanks, Romania, DSL; not worth the effort.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Still winding down, and the winding down is hitting terminal velocity.
    I mean terminal.

• Scourage of the East

Well, I have some stuff to do before I get off work so I’ll say:

Good night/morning from the East Coast!

Free the Beeech Diggs Now! :mad:

Kell’s still an old dumbass pootbutt! ;-)

:mrgreen:

• hwnrdr

Good Morning Nation!!!

• fingers

Good Morning Raider Nation !… And the rest of you Too..!

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

inonewordraider Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 3:25 pm
    11 ANGRY MEN

-willy
    ————————————–
    THAT WAS FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“we’ll be a lot better this week, I can promise that.” – Pryor

“Get your tickets. Come on out. It will be fun. We’re going to go out, we’re going to compete, battle hard and we’re going to play good football.” – Allen

***

in other words, we feel confident that we’ll be able to kick the Jaguars right in the little kitty balls!!

Raiders 31
    Jagoffs 13

Pryor actually bleeds silver & black … unlike Richard Seymour, who said he did just to collect a paycheck

TP2 is an actual leader. Not a guy who says all the right things and does none of them

Mr Brown was many enemies in here, but he was right about Seymour-Seabass-Nnamdi

it remains to be seen, but a couple years ago he called out LaMarr Houston (who appears to have a huge chip on his shoulder – contract year?)

good morning hwnrdr, HB, Fingers … and all of Purv’s trolls too!

I see they all made an appearance last night :(

• RaidingTexas

There you go again, RR. Baggin’ on Seabass, all-time Raiders scorer, #33 on the all-time NFL FG accuracy list.

Mrs Brown is the Seabass hater parade queen. So if you’re endorsing her, then you’re also a hater.

good morning Texas!

how’s it going bro?

I hope healthy is healthy enough to face Jax and I hope he doesn’t miss anymore FG’s under 50 yards (missed none from that distance last year)

I hope Seabass is healthy*

typo

• Whoknows

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 11:35 pm
    Haven’t seen Crawdaddy, as such, in a while.
    Been a few suspicious posts, however.
    this one, in particular.

Whothefücknows Raiders 31-17
    ********************************
    That would be me. Nothing suspicious about it.

@WK

who do you think will step up on Defense this week?

surprised nobody has mentioned this..

Tony Sparano should know plenty about Chad Henne

they were in Miami together for 4 years (2008-2011)

then last year Henne had Greg Olson as QB Coach in Jacksonville

if he burns a whole in our defense, we have a pretty pathetic coaching staff that doesn’t communicate well

• RaidingTexas

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 12th, 2013 at 6:31 am
    good morning Texas!

how’s it going bro?

——————————————

Every kicker has missed some under 50. Yeah, he shouldn’t have been a first round pick. But that’s hardly his fault. Blame Al for that. If he wanted him so badly and didn’t want him taken by another team as a UDFA, easily could’ve picked him in a later round.

If the Raiders dropped him, there’s no question another team would sign him.

And good morning to you. And now adios. Just dropped in for a quick check before hopping on a plane to New Orleans for a bachelor party weekend. Should be crazy

Raiders 30 – Jags 10

• Whoknows

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 12th, 2013 at 6:34 am
    @WK

who do you think will step up on Defense this week?
    ******************************************
    Good question.
    I’m thinking the jags will go run heavy, so Roach maybe?
    But then again I do go by who knows.

• Whoknows

BTW, RR how’s are little JL and mama doing?

• willy91137

Good morning raider nation’s and all you Jacksonville fans yet ready for a ass kicking

@Texas

yeah, Al Davis could have drafted Seabass in the 4th round with pick #107 instead of Junior Ioane

I agree – not SJ’s fault

lots of solid kickers that draft. after Seabass in RD1 – nobody selected a kicker until RD6 (lol)

Neil Rackers – RD6
    Paul Edinger – RD6
    Rian Lindell – undrafted
    Shayne Graham – undrafted

knowing Al though if he waited too long and missed on Seabass, our kicker would have been Tim Seder, hah

• Whoknows

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 12th, 2013 at 6:19 am
    oh no!

I was hoping the Lakers would sign this turd..
    ***********************
    I was hoping he’d go to my Knicks.

I’m thinking the jags will go run heavy, so Roach maybe?

***

@WK

good pick! that is who Hwnrdr said when I asked him yesterday too :)

due to the Henne connections we have on staff and their shortage of WR’s I’m going with Charles Woodson. I know I’ve been down on him lately, but I think he’ll have an interception this week and maybe a sack

how’s are little JL and mama doing?

***

@WK

great man. thanks for asking!

Johnnie Lee eats like a horse and hot mama has lost nearly all of her pregnancy weight already in the first 3 weeks with no diet or exercise (lol)

I know Raider fans are supposed to be tough, but JL melts my heart bro. cant help it. Why couldn’t I just have two sons? Ugh!! j/k

• Whoknows

Sanchez is done for the season.

• Whoknows
  • Whoknows

^ False report. Didn’t read it. My bad.

• willy91137

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 12th, 2013 at 6:47 am
    @Texas
    =========================
    some GM’s had sea bass on their board at two because they didn’t think anybody would waste a first round pick on a kicker

I was hoping he’d go to my Knicks.

***

@WK

we’ll trade you Joel Anthony & Michael Beasley later in the season (when injuries strike) in exchange for a 2016 2nd round pick

deal?

According to a report from ESPN.com’s Chris Mortensen, New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez is considering season-ending surgery to repair a labral tear in his right shoulder. Sanchez suffered the injury in the fourth quarter of the Jets’- 24-21 preseason overtime win over the New York Giants on Aug. 24. Mortensen reports that after consulting with Dr. James Andrews (who confirmed the labral tear), Sanchez “is likely” to have surgery that would probably bring down the curtain on his career with the Jets.

***

wow, WK

is this official?

Looks like RG3′s wife lost a few pounds?

I remember a bunch of us laughing at him for marrying a fat white chick last year. Looks decent now. JFB is probably no longer interested (lol)

• Whoknows

deal?
    ******************
    Luckily we don’t still have Isiah Thomas as GM or we’d probably give you our ’14 and ’15 first rounders for them.
    You think Al made some bone headed personnel decisions. Try being a Knick fan. LOL

• PlunkforHOF

Good morning Raider fans and others!

This place was an insane asylum last night.

I will update the list later.. please use the right format or ride the short bus.

Coach Gus Bradley considers Marcedes Lewis (calf) a “longshot” to play in Sunday’s game against the Raiders.

Lewis is still limited to jogging on the side of practice. It’s a far bigger blow to the Jags than it is to fantasy owners. Lewis’ all-around skill set makes him one of Jacksonville’s most talented players.

Sep 12 – 8:52 AM