Raiders emphasize getting out of huddle

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, September 13th, 2013 at 11:33 am in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders began their final practice Friday in preparation for the Jacksonville Jaguars, and a likely emphasis once the media was excused was being expedient in the huddle.

It was an issue on a few occasions against Indianapolis, particularly after long runs by quarterback Terrelle Pryor. Twice the Raiders had to burn time outs rather than take a delay of game penalty.

“It wasn’t something that was a problem for us during the preseason,’’ offensive coordinator Greg Olson said Thursday. “It was (his) first time for us, live on the road, starting in this system. He executed well in practice, there were a few glitches in the game, so we’re trying to get those cleaned up this week.’’

Pryor conceded getting in and out of the huddle on plays after he ran the ball were a problem. The Raiders had two delay of game penalties and twice had to call time outs Pryor ran the ball.

“It gets tiring. I had 13 runs and I a couple of them were pretty long, and on top of that I’m tying to lose guys and find players downfield to throw the ball,’’ Pryor said. “So you just get winded and I’ve got to keep getting better at that.

“I think I’m just so psyched up in in the game and in the moment, and I’m huffing and puffing and trying to get the way out. I’ve got to get better at that, and we will be better at that this week. I can promise that.’’

– Tight end David Ausberry was working with an athletic trainer on a separate field as practice began and likely will be declared out of the Jacksonville game.

Tackle Menelik Watson, who reportedly underwent arthroscopic knee surgery (the Raiders will not confirm) will also be out.

Strong safety Tyvon Branch and place kicker Sebastian Janikowski were both at practice.

– Media at practice included a television station from Ohio out to cover the Ohio State-Cal game. Pryor, who left Ohio State after being suspended in a memorabilia for cash scandal, is three years into a five-year ban where he cannot have contact with the program.

• willy91137

Raiderjhawk Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 1:22 pm
    What’s funny to me is the Patriots playing their first two games against teams that weren’t very good last year and both with rookies starting QB this year… and barely got out with W’s.
    ==========A==============================
    that’s why the Patriots are always good they play in the AFC East they play Buffalo twice a year and the Jets twice a year there’s four wins right there for the last 6 years

• raiderjhawk

@Zymurge, anyone who knows Al Davis type moves knows that he didn’t draft Pryor to be a WR. This is documented, Al said that he thought he could be a great QB in the NFL, he didn’t say great WR.

• http://InsidetheOaklandRaiders Goldie7

Thanks for thee update Jer.! Good looking out!

@CJL

what def player bro?

you too Goldie.. pick raids best def player this sunday

• raiderjhawk

F the patriots.

• jesusraiderjim

@Goldie

Whats up? How you feeling about our team right now?

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ Zymurge

Raidertalk Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 1:19 pm
    On another sport-related topic; is anyone gonna watch the Canelo-Mayweather fight tomorrow?

===

Is boxing still relevant? MMA has pretty much killed it taking all the best talent into a more interesting and technical form of ring combat.

After years of watching MMA I can’t even stay awake through a boxing match anymore.

• inonewordraider

The potentially best WR on the Raiders is currently playing QB. It’s likely what Al drafted him to become, just like Porter and Curry before him.

_______
    he owes Al Davis for the opportunity that he was given. “I owe Mr. Davis,’’ Pryor told King. “This man believed I’d be a star quarterback. He said that to me multiple times.

• CJ Legend 34

Not sure why Al drafted TP, but what I will say is Al got it right!

He got a first round draft TOP 20 pick talent in the 3rd round of the supplemental draft…..Yeah, I think he got it right.

—————————————————–
    195.Zymurge Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 1:23 pm
    Raiderlization Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 10:23 am
    Let’s just say that Moore and Ford are KR’s and not
    #1 or #2 WR’s. This has been a problem with the Raiders having no true #1 or #2 WR’s! Look at Brady last night and Smith! They also don’t have the weapons needed! But more so Oakland! You have to go all the way back to promoting Jerry Porter after Brown and Rice were let go! We have not had productive WR’s since then! All wanting to be promoted up but not capable of doing the job! Moore is a PR and Ford is a KR! anything you get beyond that is extra! We need Wide Out’s! No QB will be successful with those two as only options! Go Raiders! Keep it Real!

===

Don’t believe that? Look at the types of QBs that Al drafted or acquired over his last decade plus of rule. Big, strong armed, pocket passers. JaFatass, Jeff George, Andrew Walter, Jason Campbell, Steve Bueurlein, Culpepper, Kerry Collins … it’s pretty clear that he was always looking to relive the days of The Mad Bomber.

Meanwhile, Al had a long track record of spotting out of position athletes and turning them into stars by moving them. I think he took pride in outsmarting the league by seeing value others did not through conversion.

Nobody can say for sure what his intent was, but his patterns above indicate that he was drafting the athlete and not necessarily the QB.

• raidersince87

TERRELLE PRYOR STATS at Ohio St. Passing Rushing
    Statistics Att Comp Pct Yds TD Int Rating Att Yds Avg TD
    2010 323 210 65.0 2,772 27 11 157.9 135 754 5.6 4
    2009 295 167 56.6 2,094 18 11 128.9 162 779 4.8 7
    2008 165 100 60.6 1,311 12 4 146.5 139 631 4.5 6
    Career 783 477 60.9 6,177 57 26 144.6 436 2,164 5.0 17

• raidersince87

in 08′ he went 8-1 as a freshman..

• jesusraiderjim

@87

Are you vying for “head of the T.P. fan club”?

We don’t need no stinkin stats.

Well most of us anyway!!

• inonewordraider

______________
    the hundreds of millions of dollars this fights generating disagrees with you

• DJ Johnny

If we lose to Jacksonville than Dennis Allen should be fired.

• raidersince87

i just watched him a lot at ohio st. since one of my best friends was a fan..and from reading this blog a lot it seams as if most dont realise how good he was in college..

• CJ Legend 34

RR- What’s up?

Houston will be best defensive player this weekend hands down.

C Woody a second because Henne likes to throw balloon balls up for grabs and Woody will be out to show up his MI brother Henne.

Houston may also have a big game becuase Henne is a flat foot QB. He may get two sacks this game. Yeah, thats my prediction Houston two sacks!!!

• raidertalk

Zymurge Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 1:27 pm
    Raidertalk Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 1:19 pm

===

—————————————————–
    True. But I think this will be the last BIG fight in boxing. Boxing’s farewell. Mayweather not fighting Paciao really pizzed me off (I think MMA fighting requires the best to fight the best and not run).

After this fight I really can’t see any other names on the horizon. Boxing’s last stand.

rrs would not like this

***

@inonewordraider

why would I care about Kerry Rhodes? He’s not a Raider. Never been one. Last I checked, we’re good at SS with Tyvon Branch

what wouldn’t I like?

you assume because I disliked Kluwe ??

kluwe was a KNOWN distraction. I don’t know jack squat about Rhodes, other than I thought he was a pretty darn good safety a few years ago

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

inonewordraider Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 1:31 pm

______________
    the hundreds of millions of dollars this fights generating disagrees with you

=======================================

Boxing is losing out bigtime to MMA in middle America. Quick: Who’s the heavyweight boxing champion of the world? I ask because I’m honestly not sure myself. When I was growing up, EVERYBODY knew who it was.

• raidersince87

i think our lb’s will have a huge impact in this game..couldnt ever say that with slolando”cant shed a block and lose 5 yards when i DO tackle”mcclain and michael”missing an arm tackle again”huff backing him up..

• http://InsidetheOaklandRaiders Goldie7

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 1:26 pm
    you too Goldie.. pick raids best def player this sunday
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Houston.

• willy91137

DJ Johnny Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 1:33 pm
    If we lose to Jacksonville than Dennis Allen should be fired.
    ========================================
    I guess the players had the nothing to do with the loss

• DJ Johnny

DJ Johnny Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 1:33 pm

If we lose to Jacksonville than Dennis Allen should be fired.

I’ll respond to my own post by saying the reason I suggest that is because I can’t think of any other recourse that would satisfy my need for retribution for losing to Jax at home like that.

Any other ideas?

Fire EVERYBODY?

• R8ER MIKE

have a great night NATION !!!
    off to the birthday drunk.
    see you all on Victory Monday !!

• raidertalk

Inonewordraider Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 1:31 pm

______________
    the hundreds of millions of dollars this fights generating disagrees with you
    ——————————————————-
    After Canelo and Mayweather, I really don’t see any other fights on the horizon. It will be hard to justify paying to see Mayweather beat up on no-names for another 10 years. As a boxing fan, the sport has become its own worst enemy.
    Not forcing the best to defend against the best:
    Klitschko’s not fight each other
    Mayweather not fighting Pacquiáo

• aig-raiders

If we lose to Jacksonville, the Raider Nation will go ballistic.

• http://InsidetheOaklandRaiders Goldie7

jesusraiderjim Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 1:27 pm
    @Goldie

Whats up? How you feeling about our team right now?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What’s up Jesusraiderjim! How in the world are you? Good to se ya! I am feeling good about our team right now; however, I am looking for a W, on Sunday. How are you feeling about our Raiders?

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ Zymurge

Raidertalk Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 1:34 pm

===

Does boxing even have a heavyweight division anymore? Remember when the heavyweight championship used to be the premier fights of the year? They were even in the top 10 sporting events of the year.

Off the top of my head, the last heavyweight champ I can recall was Lennox Lewis. How many years ago was that???

Raiders best defensive player this week (at home vs Jaguars):

Gdog – Kevin Burnett
    Aig-Raiders – DJ Hayden
    Plunketthead – DJ Hayden
    No Mas Diamante – DJ Hayden
    Inonewordraider – DJ Hayden
    Follow the B@uceman – DJ Hayden
    Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist – DJ Hayden (???)
    Kirk – Tyvon Branch
    Just Fire Baby – Tyvon Branch
    Jonathaanv_ – Tyvon Branch
    Ghosttoothepost – Mike Jenkins
    Violent Hands – Mike Jenkins
    REALLIONAIREB – Mike Jenkins
    Troll Hunter – Tracy Porter
    Twocents – Brandian Ross
    Raider Dawg – Chad Henne
    TheJudge37 – Chad Henne

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ Zymurge

@ 221 — Sir RaiderDuck, now even *I’m* beginning to think we’re the same person :-)

• DJ Johnny

willy91137 Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 1:38 pm

DJ Johnny Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 1:33 pm
    If we lose to Jacksonville than Dennis Allen should be fired.
    ========================================
    I guess the players had the nothing to do with the loss

Trying to be funny. Yeah, hilarious right? But seriously…it would be a pretty bad loss.

Too much pressure to beat this team when u think of it.

If we lose…we’re back to the biggest laughingstock in the league when we just dug ourselves out from it.

• jesusraiderjim

@Goldie

Better “gut feeling” than I have had for years.

We seem ready to play and competitive for the first time in years.

Some wins would go a long way for us and the org. A win sun would be a great start.

Kinda worried about DMAC and the o-line too. Just compete every game is all I am really looking for this year, gotta learn how to win again.

• inonewordraider

______
    no doubt

but to say it’s irrelevant is not the case. this fight may be the most $ generated by any fight ever, mma fights are not close when it comes to big boxing purses

latino’s are a growing ethnic group in America and Mexicans Puerto Ricans and Cubans will continue to love and pay for big fights

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Zymurge Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 1:44 pm

==========================================

Great minds think alike. :-P

• No Mas Diamante

Klitchko brothers.

• inonewordraider

ever canelo fight will be a big deal, what’s he 22?

other marketable fighters will come around and until then latino’s in the united states and around the world will spend plenty on fights

• raidertalk

Zymurge Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 1:42 pm
    Raidertalk Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 1:34 pm

===

——————————————————-
    The Heavyweight Champs are the Klitschko Brothers, I think. But they refuse to fight each other. Much like Paciao and Mayweather refusing to fight.

If the Klitschkos were forced to fight to keep their titles how big would that be?! But Boxing is so convoluted they don’t have to fight.

• raiderjhawk

Well there goes my D player of the game…

Maiava is “nicked up” and is now questionable for the game. Looks like I’ll have to change it to Sio Moore now.

• RaiderFanMikeP

Best Defensive Player – Charles Woodson

• raidertalk

Inonewordraider Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 1:49 pm
    ever canelo fight will be a big deal, what’s he 22?

——————————————————
    Latinos are keeping boxing alive I guess, but boxing needs to reform for sure.

• rediaR

The Klitschkos have been dominant, but with a style that isn’t particularly appealing to the average fan, who is barely hanging on to boxing, if at all, anyway.

• Que

Que- Sio Moore

• http://InsidetheOaklandRaiders Goldie7

jesusraiderjim Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 1:44 pm
    @Goldie

Better “gut feeling” than I have had for years.

We seem ready to play and competitive for the first time in years.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Absolutely, I am worried about DMAC too. I have asked a lot of questions about his progress. IMO, DMAC should be just as good as AP, but he has decreased (no power, direction or motivation). However, I am still pulling for DMAC, but looking for improvement. Does he want to be a Raider?

• No Mas Diamante

Hate the patriots but loved it when belicheat forced the two ejected players to leave the field with 38 seconds left in the game. Thought Ryan was going to punch him after the game. Lol

• rediaR

Gdog – Kevin Burnett
    Aig-Raiders – DJ Hayden
    Plunketthead – DJ Hayden
    No Mas Diamante – DJ Hayden
    Inonewordraider – DJ Hayden
    Follow the B@uceman – DJ Hayden
    Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist – DJ Hayden (???)
    Kirk – Tyvon Branch
    Just Fire Baby – Tyvon Branch
    Jonathaanv_ – Tyvon Branch
    Ghosttoothepost – Mike Jenkins
    Violent Hands – Mike Jenkins
    REALLIONAIREB – Mike Jenkins
    Troll Hunter – Tracy Porter
    Twocents – Brandian Ross
    Raider Dawg – Chad Henne
    TheJudge37 – Chad Henne
    RediaR – Lamarr Houston

• rediaR

Houston might be able to sack Henne, and if we win this game it’s because the defense was stopping 2014 Raiders starting HB MJD. Houston would be a big part of that most likely.

• raidertalk

Mayweather is the more experienced fighter with great defense. Canelo has speed and power and has fought a surprising amount of fights for a 23 year old–43 bouts.

Despite boxing’s shortcomings this one I think is gonna be good.

Canelo comes on in the late rounds to win the decision.

• Stabler76

Gdog – Kevin Burnett
    Aig-Raiders – DJ Hayden
    Plunketthead – DJ Hayden
    No Mas Diamante – DJ Hayden
    Inonewordraider – DJ Hayden
    Follow the B@uceman – DJ Hayden
    Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist – DJ Hayden (???)
    Kirk – Tyvon Branch