Final: Raiders 19, Jaguars 9

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Sunday, September 15th, 2013 at 4:28 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders scored a touchdown on their opening possession for the first time in more than a year and Sebastian Janikowski kicked four field goals in a 19-9 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars in their home opener at O.co Coliseum.

Oakland, 1-1, rushed for 226 yards, with running back Darren McFadden leading the way with 129 yards on 19 carries. Janikowski’s field goals came from distances of 46, 30, 29 and 29 yards.

On defense, the Raiders had no trouble with the quick-tempo, no-huddle offense of the Jaguars, bottling up their attempts to run and displaying crisp tackling skills on the short throws of quarterback Chad Henne.

The Jaguars had a 27-yard field goal by Josh Scobee in the first half and scored with 2:53 to play on an 13-yard pass from Henne to tight end Clay Harbor when trailing by 16 points.

The drive came following a lost McFadden fumble following a 28-yard gain to the 48-yard line.

In a game that was billed nationally as the battle for the first pick in the NFL draft, given the recent fortunes of the two franchises, Jacksonville looked a lot closer to being in position to select either South Carolina defensive end Jadaveon Clowney or Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater than the Raiders.

The Raiders were far from smooth in the passing game, with Terrelle Pryor completing 15 of 24 passes for 126 yards without a touchdown or an interception. Pryor rushed for 50 yards on nine carries.

After the Raiders deferred to Jacksonville after winning the coin toss, their defense set the tone by forcing a three-and-out on the first series.

Phillip Adams than raced around the right side for a 30-yard punt return to the Jacksonville 38.

The Raiders took advantage of a 15-yard Jacksonville penalty, got a 7-yard run by McFadden to the 16 and a 5-yard run by Terrelle Pryor to the 7 before Reece scored from from the 11.

It was the first touchdown on a first possession since the regular-season finale against the San Diego Chargers in 2011.

Thin but Pryor got the Raiders in position for five field goal attempts, including one missed by Janikowski from 42 yards out.

The Raiders may have suffered a significant injury in the first half, as strong safety Tyvon Branch left the game with a leg injury, had to be helped off the field, and did not return.

The Raiders bottled up former De La Salle High star Maurice Jones-Drew, who had 27 yards on 10 carries before leaving with an injury.

• boss01

C wood is very young and in his prime still every which way, I can attest to that being his age

• fingers

Send that Orange & Blue Nag to the Rendering plant..!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    I’m pleased to say that I bet on Arizona today.

==================================================

How’d he do?

• boss01

36 = New 26

• Derek

#120; I never said I hoped Nix injury was serious, the same applies to Flynn. However it seems injuries are the thing that get curtain guys (Pryor and Gurode) on the field over lessor talents preferred by DA.

• 24

I’m glad we played in a more humid and hot environment the week before playing in Denver at a higher altitude. I’m hoping that helps their conditioning for this next game. We really need to try and control the clock against the Broncos because that air will tire out our defense.

• Tumbleweed

Anyone know who lit the torch today?

• Plunketthead

Was Shaun Alexander the first gay football player?

• 24

Charles Woodson is just a freak of nature.

• realtruraider

Well I might of got the score wrong and I picked Branch for defensive player, but I also said DMC would run wild so I will take it. Good win, nice to see the run game back on track, its been awhile.

• 24

Wait…we played in Oakland. Greg Papa was talking about the heat and my brain was thinking Jacksonville. So I must correct myself.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    I’m pleased to say that I bet on Arizona today.

==================================================

How’d he do?

===============================================

I suppose if he did less than well, I’d know.

• Dakota

First gay NFL player? I thought that was Tom Jackson.

• Kirk

Dakota Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 5:27 pm
    Kirk, how did McFadden look today?
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Like the old McFadden except he fumbled twice.

• 24

Kirk – I believe McFadden had fumble problems in college so you can just say the old McFadden (college version) haha

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

24 Says:
    Charles Woodson is just a freak of nature.
    ===============================================

It was awesome.

• J Hill

Lefty,

Personally, I’m “complaining” because I want to see play good enough to win the division. So I point out a few suggestions I’d like to see implemented to improve towards that goal.

• 0ak r8rs

Derek Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 5:23 pm
    #120; we’ve never met, therefore you know nothing about me. You may disagree with me, however it’s unwise to judge or think others will agree in lock step with a guy like you.

@@@@@@@@

True. We have never met. But I’m judging your motives from the last year. Not just tonight. And idc if you agree w me or not. I’ll debate anyone. But you’ve made it clear your agenda is Reggie hate (maybe DA too). And there’s no room for that here. Not tonight.

I’ve seen plenty from you, trust me. I know you know nothing about football. Or at the very least your Reggie hate agenda makes you look as tho you don’t. And I played in college as well.

• Kirk

I was shocked by the play of the defense and McFadden. Both were really good.

Woodson looked like the old Woodson.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

So where’s Hunter?

“0-16″

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• ron69

Obviuosly Lucas Nix is the weak link on Offense as Porter is on defense but he even play good today.
    Gurode must play over Nix.
    Props to Barnes and Pashos, they’re really balling.
    Houston mvp so far Woodson close second

• Dakota

Jhill, you just know what the 2013 Raiders are…..nothing wrong with that….engaging in fantasies about this year’s team is an unhealthy pastime that I like to discourage in here because I care about my fellow Raider fans.

This is a bad team….we just played the worst the NFL has to offer, and didn’t exactly light it up.

• realtruraider

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 5:16 pm
    Is Manning fearing us next week?

——————————————

You damn right he is

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Dakota Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 5:33 pm
    First gay NFL player? I thought that was Tom Jackson.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LOL.

“It’s all over fat man”. I’m never going to forgive him for that.

Fuk Jackson and the pig cart he rode in on.

• Dakota

Porter would have been fine had Woodson not intercepted his number….now that is in his head!

• lefty12

J Hill,every game is different and you know you don’t need to show everything every game.Why open the playbook and show Denver anything when you can simply pound the ball and control the game?

• 0ak r8rs

I gotta say. Kapernick? So far looks like Pryor w half a year of experience. Except he’s had almost 2.

• RaiderSam

Alex7 Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 5:18 pm
    Bucs 14-13 lead vs Saints. Need wins by Bucs and Jets to help the draft.

And yes, I can go ahead and look forward to our real playoff shot season.

To even think of passing the Chargers or Chiefs, we need either Bridgewater, Brett Hundley, Clowney, Lee, or Anthony Barr.
    ==========

so give up on pryor, nand it starts all over again with Hundley, Bridgewater?

get Clowney get the defense together…

• http://www.RAIDERS.com Back-n-Black

Kap threw a pick in the endzone… he sucks

• realtruraider

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 5:33 pm
    ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    I’m pleased to say that I bet on Arizona today.

==================================================

How’d he do?

===============================================

I suppose if he did less than well, I’d know.

——————————————–

You know the usual Pick Six (no one could of guessed that) they squeezed out a win though

• RaiderRetribution

34 yards rushing allowed by our Raiders defense, best stat of the game; five sacks huge also.

Seattle just intercepted Kaepernick in the red zone.

• 0ak r8rs

And that was BEFORE that ugly pick.

• http://www.RAIDERS.com Back-n-Black

that was sarcasm by the way…

• The Big Banana

0ak R8rs Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 4:54 pm
    The Big Banana Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 4:51 pm
    ZoOlaNdEr Jags 41-13
    Zymurge Jags 17-13

———–

Raider fans? Naaaaaa. Hater trolls with an agenda? Maybe.

@@@@@@@

Not cool to throw predictions in guys faces. You don’t know their intent.

——

Predicting a loss against the Jags? Gtfoh. Who asked you anyway.

• RaiderRetribution

Porter had a great game today, multiple PDs.

• 0ak r8rs

Is 666 here? I want him to tell me again how much I’m gonna miss Palmer this year.

• 0ak r8rs

The Big Banana Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 5:43 pm
    0ak R8rs Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 4:54 pm
    The Big Banana Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 4:51 pm
    ZoOlaNdEr Jags 41-13
    Zymurge Jags 17-13

———–

Raider fans? Naaaaaa. Hater trolls with an agenda? Maybe.

@@@@@@@

Not cool to throw predictions in guys faces. You don’t know their intent.

——

Predicting a loss against the Jags? Gtfoh. Who asked you anyway.

@@@@@@@@

Got as much right to talk as you do, Big Dlck. And Zmurge is no troll. Keep that shlt to yourself. He knows 10 times what you’ll ever know about football.

• J Hill

Holding back for Denver, eh???

Ok.

I’ll kick back and see what Olson has for us next week.

• http://Raiders4Ever.com 860Todd Christensen

Go Raiders !!!!

• alex7

RaiderSam

most good rookie QBs come into the league nowadays and play well right off the bat. Look at RGIII, Luck, Wilson, and Andy Dalton all making the playoffs right away.

Bridgewater is as good as those guys and could take a team to the playoffs right off the bat.

Pryor isn’t, due to his passing, so it’s not “starting over again.”

• lefty12

Todays game wasn’t as close as the score indicates.Enjoy it FANS.Those that aren’t will be here trying to talk about something else or bad-mouthing the team or players.

• RaiderRetribution

Raiders will be running the football vs Denver.

I expect minimum of 50 carries by our offense.

Either Gurode or McClain will be starting at LG, Nix allowed Pryor to get hammered two weeks in a row.

• 0ak r8rs

This zbs cut blocking bullshlt has to go. It’s gonna ruin the game.

• alex7

Sam, BinB

Kaep shredded the Bears in the air his 1st start and shredded the Packers for 400 last week,

so no comparing him to Pryor.

Ever.

• http://www.RAIDERS.com Back-n-Black

wilson threw a pick… he sucks

• RaiderSam

sophomore jinx hits Wilson, too – int Eric Reid

• morilla

Douche bag shut ins talk about the draft after a win.

• RaiderSam

Alex7 Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 5:51 pm
    Sam, BinB

so no comparing him to Pryor.

Ever.

=====================

different season …. lets see Pryor over an entire season , just to be sure. That opener should’ve been a win v. the Colts

• RaiderRetribution

Streater clearly Raiders & Pryor’s #1 WR!

• Orthodoxdj

DJ Hayden hasn’t impressed me yet.