Woodson doing a number on Father Time

OAKLAND – There’s a belief by some that Raiders owner Mark Davis signed safety Charles Woodson just to sell more tickets to home games and jerseys with Woodson’s name on them.
That’s true, in part. Yet, it’s also a fact that Woodson isn’t your ordinary 36-year old, and he brings more to the equation than selling power.
“The scary thing about it is, I watch him on film and in practice every day and the guy’s still got it,” Raiders veteran offensive tackle Khalif Barnes said a short time after the Raiders beat the Jacksonville Jaguars 19-9 at the Coliseum in Woodson’s first regular-season home game since he signed with the Raiders in the offseason..
“It’s not like he’s old and can’t move. The dude can still play. It’s crazy actually. He’s a machine. I don’t know how he does it after 17 years.”
Plenty of thirtysomethings still can play, but how many of them can fly through the air, literally, with the greatest of ease and make perhaps the play of the day?
Woodson showed doubters about his ability to play at a high level just how much he has left Sunday, when he left his feet and launched himself shoulder height toward Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew in the second quarter.
Woodson scored a direct hit, just as Jones-Drew pointed himself toward the Raiders goal line, and dragged down Jones-Drew at the 3-yard line. The Jaguars settled for a field goal two plays later.
“It don’t matter, man,” Woodson said of his heroics. “I’m just flying over a building in a single bound.”
Raiders coach Dennis Allen called the play “huge” and said it helped the Raiders shift momentum.
“Any time you see a guy like Charles Woodson who has played as long as he has and the way he can play at the level that he’s played,” Allen said, “for him to make an effort play like that really gives the whole team and the defense in particular a lot of momentum. It was a great play.”
Woodson’s also making a huge impression on his teammates, especially the younger ones.
Rookie cornerback D.J. Hayden didn’t see Woodson’s high-flying acrobatics. Just the same, he said, he draws inspiration from a player the Raiders selected in the first round of the 1998 NFL draft.
“It’s motivation,” Hayden said of Woodson’s play. “If he can do it, anyone of us can do it. … Hopefully a little bit of him rubs off on me.”
Through two games so far, the Raiders defense allowed only 30 points, or slightly more than what the Raiders allowed per game last season, when Woodson was wrapping up his Green Bay Packers career.
Call it the Woodson Effect? Call it whatever you want, Woodson said, but there’s a feeling that the Raiders are on to something meaningful defensively.
“We’re onto playing good, hard football,” Woodson said, “and that’s all we can really ask of everybody. (Sunday), for the most part, we did our job as a team collectively. We beat a team I felt like we were supposed to beat and that’s a step in the right direction.”
Of course, Barnes would say in a lighter moment, Woodson might need a cane to take that step.
“He could play another two or three years if he wants to,” Barnes said. “He’s the true definition of a guy that does it because he loves to, because he really doesn’t have to. It’s plays like that, man, there’s not a lot of guys in this room that would put their body through that.”

Steve Corkran

• MiamiRaider78

It’s a passing league so what does the Gut do?

Builds a stronger secondary.

Go Raiders!

Extend Reggie Yesterday!

• Just Fire Baby

GDog,

I am not seeing the “10 in the box” you said we would be facing with Palmer gone.

In fact, our running game hasn’t looked better in years.

• The Big Banana

Fumble! Lol. What a nice Sunday. :)

• Gdog

alex7 Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Gdog

make up your mind. In one post you brag about our league-leading “run game.”

In the next you mean it only counts if DMac is getting those yards.

Make up your mind.

>>>>>

If Pryor outruns McF by as much as he did vs Indy, we will lose most of those games… Little Boy.

Find an adult to explain why.

• RaiderRetribution

It is more important to a team that their RBs are getting the rushing yards from designed running plays, than a QB getting yards from busted plays.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

MiamiRaider78 Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 9:28 pm
    It’s a passing league so what does the Gut do?

Builds a stronger secondary.

Go Raiders!

Extend Reggie Yesterday!
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Take it easy Habibi.
    He is under contract for 2 more years.
    Did he just realize that this season, because our secondary was weak last season.

• Breaking_Black

The 9ers need to trade for Flynn.

• Gdog

Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 9:29 pm

GDog,

In fact, our running game hasn’t looked better in years.

>>>>

When did I say anything about ten in the box??? lol

Jeesh… why don’t you and Alex go outside and play in a sand box together?

• Just Fire Baby

LOL….OK

• RaiderRetribution

Players I could see Reggie trading:
    D. Moore (3rd)
    Jennings (3rd), other teams are losing their RBs left and right/ McFadden for a 2nd.

• Just Fire Baby

You also said there is a good chance we go 0-16

• RaiderRetribution

Breaking_Black Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 9:31 pm
    The 9ers need to trade for Flynn.

I’m tellin ya we are going to lose Wilson off our practice squad before our bye week.

• Gdog

Gdog Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 9:29 pm

GDog,

In fact, our running game hasn’t looked better in years.

>>>>

BTW.. weren’t you the one that laughed at me when I said our defense COULD be top ten this year before the season started?

What have YOU been right about so far this season?

• MiamiRaider78

Raider O,

I’m enjoying my kool aid right now and it’s going down quite well. Let me be!

Hayaty! Lol

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

RaiderRetribution Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 9:32 pm
    Players I could see Reggie trading:
    D. Moore (3rd)
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If he can get a 3rd for Moore and Jennings, he deserves an extension.
    Trading DMC is a huge mistake IMHO.

• RaiderRetribution

Both SuperBowl teams have gotten hammered this season.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Sorry Habibi. Enjoy it.

• Just Fire Baby

***********************************

Nope, I am a Reggie apologist remember? Why would I laugh at that.

• 0ak r8rs

RaiderRetribution Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 9:32 pm
    Players I could see Reggie trading:
    D. Moore (3rd)

@@@@@@@@@

Moore was drafted in the 5th. What’s he done to merit a trade 2 rounds higher?

• Gdog

Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 9:33 pm

You also said there is a good chance we go 0-16

>>>>

A good chance??? Are you playing with toys with Alex?

You are acting like a little child.

No team has a good chance to go 0-16 Good gawd… I would never say that. You are lying.

Care to discuss how much our defense has improved which I picked up from the practice games, and you laughed off??

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Players we should resign next year IMO:
    1- Houston
    2- JV
    3- DMC (if he continues to play well and stays healthy)
    4- Jenkins
    5- Woodson

• beach

MiamiRaider78 Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 9:28 pm
    It’s a passing league so what does the Gut do?

Builds a stronger secondary.

Go Raiders!

Extend Reggie Yesterday!
    ———————–
    I bet you SF wishes they had our secondary. They were pretty foolish going after Nnamdi and not the great Charles Woodson!

• RaiderRetribution

O I think we keep McFadden as long as we are in playoff contention; should we end up being 3 to 4 games under .500 at the bye week we will probably trade McFadden around the Bye week, need to get something for him; he is a FA after this season.

franchise tagging Vehldeer or Houston far more important.

• Priesttj12

INJURIES…….they can derail a great team faster than anything. No team can sustain key injuries and stay the same it’s impossible. The Niners have been relatively injuriy free for the last 4 years. It’s what has allowed them to ascend so quickly.

They better hope Kappy stays upright or they will fall apart like a cheap suit…………period

• MiamiRaider78

Anyone think Cable gets offered a head coaching gig somewhere?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

$$$$$$$$$$$$

That was me.

• SilverNBlackPA

Raider O Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 9:37 pm
    Players we should resign next year IMO:
    1- Houston
    2- JV
    3- DMC (if he continues to play well and stays healthy)
    4- Jenkins
    5- Woodson

+++++++++++

I’d rank them in that order too, except Veldheer has to be priority #1 if he comes all the way back as good as before.

• 0ak r8rs

JFB. I know it’s early. But after today you might wanna get my Paypal email address and get that $50 ready. Just saying. ;)

• Gdog

Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 9:36 pm

***********************************

Nope, I am a Reggie apologist remember? Why would I laugh at that.

>>>>

I can go look for it with the right incentive.

I do mix you up with some of your butt buddies here, but I think it was you.

You said no way it could be top 10.

• alex7

Gdog, Priestt

we HAD an open post route down the middle today, remember?

Our QB threw a pass so off-target that our wide open WR had to slow down and slide to try and catch the pass behind him, and a linebacker 7 yards in front somehow was able to tip it.

Getting guys open hasn’t been the problem (Reece and DMac had huge gaps on their defenders last week). Hitting them has been.

• Gdog

• RaiderRetribution

Raider O Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 9:37 pm
    Players we should resign next year IMO:
    1- Houston
    2- JV
    3- DMC (if he continues to play well and stays healthy)
    4- Jenkins
    5- Woodson

Don’t know if that is your order of priority, I agree those are probably the top five, my order:

1- Vehldeer, LT
    2- Houston, DE
    3- Jenkins, CB
    4- Woodson, S
    5- McFadden, RB

although I would insert Sims at #4 (dropping Woodson/5 and McFadden/6 one slot) if he is also on a one year contract.

• RaiderRetribution

Jenkins is a first round CB, he had one bad season, so far he has played really well for the Raiders; next to Charles our best defensive back.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I’m not a fan of franchising RBs unless they are HOF players like AP, and even then I’m not that sold on the idea. I rather spend that money on another position.
    If we don’t think we can resign him, then I agree. I rather trade him for a high pick.

• Just Fire Baby

I think Pryor is 1 for 9 with 2 INT’s on passes 15+ yards down the field now this year.

Beating up on Jax was fun, but we have a serious dink and dunk issue with our passing game.

• Gdog

alex7 Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Gdog, Priestt

we HAD an open post route down the middle today, remember?

>>>>

I’ve already admitted that Pryor is one of the worst passers in the league… but said with a great defense and the leading rushing attack, we will still do some damage.

McF running with confidence and our oline opening up holes makes us have a chance vs 3/4 of the teams… even with Pryor struggling to make great passes.

Why on earth would you disagree with this?

• alex7

Again, the WHY question no one bothers to answer.

Why did Pryor NOT make any big mistakes this game?

Answer? He wasn’t ALLOWED to throw the ball more than 10 yards down the field. Coaches were happy running the ball or checking it down on 3rd and 9s all day and kicking FGs.

To act like his lack of INTs was a step up, when he DIDN’T even TRY regular NFL deep throws, is a bit odd.

• RaiderRetribution

D Moore had two drops today, we cannot have any v Denver.

Mastrud’s best play was recovering Pryor’s fumble.

Have you seen Kasa anywhere?

• Just Fire Baby

I see DHB is on pace for a 24 catch, 250 yard season.

• Gdog

Raider O Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 9:43 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

>>>>

Only, and I do mean ONLY, if he doesn’t want to stay here.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

SEAPERCH IS A FAWKIN HEAD CASE!

Trade that lump to anybody dumb enough to cough up a draft pick!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

1- Vehldeer, LT
    2- Houston, DE
    3- Jenkins, CB
    4- Woodson, S
    5- McFadden, RB

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That makes sense, but I think Woodson should be our last priority because of his age.

• Kirk

Why is Moore starting?

Butler is much better.

• Just Fire Baby

That 2nd D-Moore drop was bad, but there was a penalty on the play and would have been called back if he did catch it.

Any word on Streater leaving the game? Guess he is fine.

• lefty12

RaiderRetribution Says:
    September 15th, 2013 at 9:37 pm

franchise tagging Vehldeer or Houston far more important.
    ================================================
    This isn’t the NBA or major league baseball.Trades are rare in the NFL during the season.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Nnamdi looking very solid since 2008!

HAHAHAHAHA

• RaiderRetribution

McFadden had 3 carries that were gains of 20 yards or more;

Jennings had a gain of 20 yards or more,

Reece had a TD run of over 10 yards.

Great rushing performance by our RBs; OLine was solid today.

Will need that against Denver.

200 yards rushing;
    win turnover battle by 2;
    sack Peyton 4 times without blitzing;
    scoring more TDs than FGs; will be they keys to defeating Denver.

• alex7

Gdog

lol, it’s too easy. Name me the NFL teams in the last 5 years that’ve had a terrible passer but beat 3/4ths of the teams, as you state, with a solid run game and solid D?

Because when I look at winning teams, at ANNUAL playoff teams, I see:

Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Manning, Matt Ryan, Kaepernick, Flacco, Wilson…

If we want a game-manager, why not have the better passer on the team be that? Seems odd that if all you want is a game-manager, we give that job to the guy with accuracy and turnover issues in his college and brief NFL history. Are you saying Pryor can be a game-manager? Based on what? The Jags game?

• No Mas Diamante

So who’s the better qb so far in the Bay Area tonight after two games? That’s right boys and girls? Here’s a clue; he sometes wears a black jersey.!