To blitz or not to blitz Manning; that’s the burning question

ALAMEDA — A slew of questions and comments in the Tuesday live chat centered on the best way to succeed against Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning.
Naturally, based on the success the Raiders had their first two games, many called for the Raiders to blitz the heck out of Manning on Monday night.
Time and again, I countered with, Manning is one of the few quarterbacks you don’t want to blitz, for he welcomes the blitz and picks it apart.
The Raiders are bolstered with first-hand knowledge. Last season, the Raiders threw a season-high 25 blitzes against Manning and the Broncos in the teams’ second meeting.
Here’s the results: Manning completed 15 of 18 passes for 177 yards against the blitz that game.
“It’s hard to fool that guy,” Allen said. “He’s seen a lot. He does a great job in preparation. It’ll be hard to fool him. It’s going to come down to execution. We’re going to have to execute our jobs and the team that executes the best will win the football game.”
Raiders cornerback Tracy Porter was with the Broncos last season. He practiced against Manning on a regular basis.
He offered this little tidbit on just how competitive Manning is, even in practice.
“He’s just as much a competitor in practice as he is on game day,” Porter said. “In fact, he’s much more of a competitor in practice because in practice you get to start things over. The defense has a real good practice, he’s going to want to start the period over and come back and try to compete again.”

– Denarius Moore was targeted twice in the Jaguars game, but he emerged from the game without a reception.
In fact, he had more penalties and dropped passes than he did receptions. Suffice, that’s not what you expect from one of your starting receivers.
Don’t fret, though, Allen and quarterback Terrelle Pryor said. Moore’s going to make his share of plays over the course of the season.
“The big thing is, he can’t get too down on himself,” Allen said. “He’s got to continue to work and fight himself out of it. His opportunities are going to come. When they do, he’s got to take advantage of them.”
Moore admits that he tends to let negative thoughts linger, when he needs to heed coaches’ advice to have a short memory.
“That’s what I’m still learning, that the coaches are always going to have faith in me, the quarterback is always going to have faith in me,” Allen said, “that I need to forget it about when I drop passes and come back into the huddle with a positive attitude.”
Moore dropped two catchable passes in the Raiders first two games. Yet, Pryor takes the blame for both plays.
“They were both two bad balls,” Pryor said. “It had nothing to do with Denarius, and we’re definitely going to be looking for him more. I have to get the ball in an accurate spot and he’ll catch it if it’s accurate, but if it’s not accurate, like it [wasn’t] last game, it’s hard to catch.”

– If Moore’s struggles linger, Allen has the option of using second-year player Juron Criner and rookie Brice Butler more.
If that’s the case, Criner said he is ready to roll. He wasn’t active for either of Oakland’s first two games, even though he is healthy.
Coincidentally, Butler has been active for both games.
“I’m very eager,” Criner said. “Things change, but I’m always going to be ready for whenever I’m supposed to be ready.”
Criner said he has no explanation for why he hasn’t been active for either of the first two games.
“I’m not really sure,” Criner said. “I just do my part as a player and let them do their part as coaches.”

– The Raiders on Tuesday worked out four linebackers. Make of it what you will.
They worked out: Tavares Gooden, Justin Cole, Mike Rivera and Julian Stanford, though none was signed.

Steve Corkran

• The Big Banana

Ignore the trolls

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Elraidmanhattan Says:
    September 18th, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Kell- I’m white a not racist, just don’t think it is necessary for posters to make comments like that here or anywhere
    ——————————–
    Nor all white people are racist.

• JLofty

No blitz. Manning eats blitzes for bf, lunch and pre-game dinner….

• the famous dr robert

JLofty Says:
    September 18th, 2013 at 4:26 pm
    No Manhattan. I have a house. And a job. Where I sit in front of a computer all day….
    ***********
    Me too. Dumbo.

• elraidmanhattan

Just don’t like such egregious statements such as Pryor’s mom in a basement sickens me as a human being.

• the famous dr robert

KoolKell Says:
    September 18th, 2013 at 4:34 pm
    Elraidmanhattan Says:
    September 18th, 2013 at 4:30 pm

——————————–
    Nor all white people are racist.
    ********
    Just those who think Pryor sucks, according to u and several other morons.

• papertiger418

No blitzing!

• the famous dr robert

Sounds like the org sees that Pryor stinks and is preparing for the “Flynn was hurt, that’s why we had to go with Pryor” defense.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Elraidmanhattan Says:
    September 18th, 2013 at 4:38 pm

———————————————–
    Whoever said that forgot the food stamps shot, I guess.

• elraidmanhattan

Raiders will blitz, broncos are going to help clark at LT, meaning there will be opportunities for some exotic blitzes check the tape clady always handled his man one on one, that changes now

• elraidmanhattan

I think i could make a good living here selling strait jackets.

• papertiger418

Dan78

I think you can change your account’s title! You have to have a different username, but you’ll still be Dan78.

• JLofty

Wasn’t me Manhattan. What you see is what you get from me. I think very highly of TPryor at least from a more personal level. I never met his momma but seemed like she raised a fine young man. He’s easy to root for.
    I don’t talk like that. Ever. Not even all drunk after Raider games. Just not who I am…

• elraidmanhattan

I really would like some knowledgeable comments, when a retard states that Pryor sucks seems to me a lobotomy is in order

• Al_is_theraiders

trent richardson traded to the colts….thats a gm getting better.

• rediaR

So the Browns are officially tanking the season for Bridgewater. Good to know.

• elraidmanhattan

Lofy- not to make a big deal out of this but didn’t you comment last blog that if pryor does well his mom in saratoga basement?

• JLofty

We need a plan to stop Wes Welker. Maybe we get an olb to pop him anytime he moves inward off LOS. Use whoever was faking blitz to double him?

• papertiger418

Don’t worry, Elraid! such comments and posters will be FLAGGED for such actions.

Enjoy it while you can, Dr. This software was designed just for nut jobs like you and Mystique.

• Al_is_theraiders

criner…its cuz youre too dayum slow.

• rediaR

Elraidmanhattan Says:
    September 18th, 2013 at 4:42 pm
    ——————-
    He doesn’t suck at everything, just at playing QB.

• the famous dr robert

Elraidmanhattan Says:
    September 18th, 2013 at 4:42 pm
    **********
    He does suck.

#28 passer.

1 Td in two games. 2end zone picks.

Several laughable jump passes.

Yes. He sucks.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

The election of 0bama, shocked and horrified ” those people” and, activated them. They are still a minority though.

• elraidmanhattan

Wow mental patients out in full force now, meds aren’t working

• JLofty

No Manhattan I said if Pryor makes the pro-bowl someone’s going to have a complete mental breakdown. And thus I would fear for the safety of the decent citizens of Saratoga, CA.
    Man, you got that one a little twisty huh? It IS later in NYC so you got that going for you…

• the famous dr robert

Papertiger418 Says:
    September 18th, 2013 at 4:45 pm

**********
    Hey moron. What would I be flagged for?

Back it up retard.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

““The Bay Area News Group is in the process of installing software designed to make it easier to regulate the online back-and-forth that can sometimes get out of hand. As a consequence, all the comments posted in past years soon will be gone.”

Oh, the humanity! The horror!

Actually, I think it is a travesty.”

Same thing happened when they made us register with WordPress….Everyone was like this will solve the troll problem….It didn’t!

I predict same old crap just more information on the bloggers

• papertiger418

Agreed, JLofty!

We need to get a shot in on Welker; nearly impossible, I know, but still more likelky than a successful blitz against Manning.

Also, someone needs to contain Orange Julius!

• Raider Riff

Sounds like Flynnterception is becoming a locker room cancer.

• the famous dr robert

KoolKell Says:
    September 18th, 2013 at 4:47 pm
    **********
    I voted for him. Twice. Idiot.

• JLofty

Manhattan maybe someone slipped something in your drink…

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

CHARLOTTE, N.C. A Charlotte police officer accused of shooting an unarmed man 10 times after the man was in a car crash over the weekend is scheduled for appearance in court on voluntary manslaughter charges Tuesday afternoon.

Officer Randall Kerrick fired 12 times at Jonathan A. Ferrell early Saturday after the 24-year-old was in a single-car wreck and sought help at a nearby house, police said.
    —————————————–

• elraidmanhattan

I could give a rats arse what color my qb is or my coach or the damn trainer for that matter…i have one of my favorite raiders of all time trading card right in front of me Cliff Branch..i believe he was very good

• the famous dr robert

Pretty funny what puzzies the Pryor Brigade are.

They want me banned for telling them he sucks.

Good thing most of u never played. U could never hack it.

• papertiger418

Another thing that was brought up in the chat yesterday was Porter’s seizures. Is he clear from that? Otherwise that means we lose 2 DBs going into Denver.

• JLofty

Seems like if Manning is going to release the ball within 2 to 2.5 secs that is a shorter distance to have to cover. Make him go over the top EVERY time.
    Those lasers he throws are deadly. Accuracy kills…

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“19- your right, i just want to blog about my team, and have some intelligent back ad forth.”

First you have to be intelligent!

Oh wait I forgot your a Karate expert with a 150 IQ and a new Porsche!

• the famous dr robert

I wonder how many of these idiots will be “supporting” Flynn when he comes in.

Lofty post 41 last blog moron….that’s you

• rediaR

Raider Riff Says:
    September 18th, 2013 at 4:48 pm
    Sounds like Flynnterception is becoming a locker room cancer.
    ———————-
    You’ve been reading your own comments again I presume.

• elraidmanhattan

Silver sorry don’t know karate, and secondly no car…..anything else?

• JLofty

Yeah haven’t heard much about Porter’s seizures.
    I am not a medical professional but that seemed liked a thin link between his condition and the elevation.
    I mean he flies in a aircraft regularly. Can’t tell me a cabin pressure doesn’t vary WAY more radically than the air pressure at 5300ft.

Riff what’s up?

• LTR

I’m really hoping for the ignore button. This blog will be vastly improved if we don’t have to deal with skipping all the troll posts.

• the famous dr robert

RediaR Says:
    September 18th, 2013 at 4:53 pm
    Raider Riff Says:
    September 18th, 2013 at 4:48 pm
    Sounds like Flynnterception is becoming a locker room cancer.
    ———————-
    You’ve been reading your own comments again I presume.
    *********
    Lol!

Yesterday he accidentally responded to a post addressed to my impostor.

He responded as if he was “dr robert”.

Classic gaffe.

• the famous dr robert

LTR Says:
    September 18th, 2013 at 4:55 pm
    ********
    Yeah. Don’t wanna be reminded of how bad the qb u pined for really is, eh?

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“i have one of my favorite raiders of all time trading card right in front of me Cliff Branch..i believe he was very good”

Are you 12?

Because you would be like Doogie Houser with a 150 IQ and a black belt in Karate!

• elraidmanhattan

Dr, you are on a roll my man, comments a sub moronic person would appreciate

• JLofty

Yes Manhattan that was me. I was talking about the blogger who HATES Pryor so much that he is getting desperate. And on the verge of a complete mental breakdown. At home, in his mom’s basement. The blogger’s mom not Terrell’s.
    Nevermind bro. I certainly wasn’t talking badly about Pryor or his mom. Or anyone’s mom for that matter….