To blitz or not to blitz Manning; that’s the burning question

ALAMEDA — A slew of questions and comments in the Tuesday live chat centered on the best way to succeed against Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning.
Naturally, based on the success the Raiders had their first two games, many called for the Raiders to blitz the heck out of Manning on Monday night.
Time and again, I countered with, Manning is one of the few quarterbacks you don’t want to blitz, for he welcomes the blitz and picks it apart.
The Raiders are bolstered with first-hand knowledge. Last season, the Raiders threw a season-high 25 blitzes against Manning and the Broncos in the teams’ second meeting.
Here’s the results: Manning completed 15 of 18 passes for 177 yards against the blitz that game.
“It’s hard to fool that guy,” Allen said. “He’s seen a lot. He does a great job in preparation. It’ll be hard to fool him. It’s going to come down to execution. We’re going to have to execute our jobs and the team that executes the best will win the football game.”
Raiders cornerback Tracy Porter was with the Broncos last season. He practiced against Manning on a regular basis.
He offered this little tidbit on just how competitive Manning is, even in practice.
“He’s just as much a competitor in practice as he is on game day,” Porter said. “In fact, he’s much more of a competitor in practice because in practice you get to start things over. The defense has a real good practice, he’s going to want to start the period over and come back and try to compete again.”

– Denarius Moore was targeted twice in the Jaguars game, but he emerged from the game without a reception.
In fact, he had more penalties and dropped passes than he did receptions. Suffice, that’s not what you expect from one of your starting receivers.
Don’t fret, though, Allen and quarterback Terrelle Pryor said. Moore’s going to make his share of plays over the course of the season.
“The big thing is, he can’t get too down on himself,” Allen said. “He’s got to continue to work and fight himself out of it. His opportunities are going to come. When they do, he’s got to take advantage of them.”
Moore admits that he tends to let negative thoughts linger, when he needs to heed coaches’ advice to have a short memory.
“That’s what I’m still learning, that the coaches are always going to have faith in me, the quarterback is always going to have faith in me,” Allen said, “that I need to forget it about when I drop passes and come back into the huddle with a positive attitude.”
Moore dropped two catchable passes in the Raiders first two games. Yet, Pryor takes the blame for both plays.
“They were both two bad balls,” Pryor said. “It had nothing to do with Denarius, and we’re definitely going to be looking for him more. I have to get the ball in an accurate spot and he’ll catch it if it’s accurate, but if it’s not accurate, like it [wasn’t] last game, it’s hard to catch.”

– If Moore’s struggles linger, Allen has the option of using second-year player Juron Criner and rookie Brice Butler more.
If that’s the case, Criner said he is ready to roll. He wasn’t active for either of Oakland’s first two games, even though he is healthy.
Coincidentally, Butler has been active for both games.
“I’m very eager,” Criner said. “Things change, but I’m always going to be ready for whenever I’m supposed to be ready.”
Criner said he has no explanation for why he hasn’t been active for either of the first two games.
“I’m not really sure,” Criner said. “I just do my part as a player and let them do their part as coaches.”

– The Raiders on Tuesday worked out four linebackers. Make of it what you will.
They worked out: Tavares Gooden, Justin Cole, Mike Rivera and Julian Stanford, though none was signed.

Steve Corkran

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

elraidmanhattan Says:
    Lofty post 41 last blog moron….that’s you
    ====================================================

There could be a moron involved here.

• Kirk

Butler should be starting instead of Moore.

• papertiger418

Elraid!

Lofty was referring to a certain Dr living in his Mother’s basement, not Pryor.

Don’t sweat the misinterpretation; just blame Palmer!

• elraidmanhattan

Silver you have great comebacks, really deflating me. You can’t do better than that. Come on i will ignore that one and give you another shot cretin

• LTR

Funny that the trolls KNOW that they are trolls.

• elraidmanhattan

Lofy- sorry I apologize, sincerely.

• elraidmanhattan

Again, sorry for the bashing.

• JLofty

Westslope Llamaman, I am darn close to the summit. Don’t MAKE me come down there! {wags finger}…

• Raider Riff

Manhattan…

Nothing new.

Can’t wait til Monday.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

elraidmanhattan
    Hell, then I will too.

• JLofty

Don’t sweat it Man! Just gots to keep my good name! HA!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

JLofty Says:
    ===========================================

I was backing you up. Just apologized to ElRaid.

• elraidmanhattan

Riff- Monday is going to be fun, I really feel we will surprise

• elraidmanhattan

Purvis thanks definitely appreciate it

• Dan78

Got it paper-Tiger… Go Raiders….

• Raider Riff

Since when have I ever responded as if I was Dr Robert?

I’ll tell u this, I see my handle being hijacked here on the regular and I’ve ALWAYS ignored it.

Those that know me on here can easily tell the difference.

• papertiger418

The way Tarver described his blitzing strategy on 95.7, it was flexible enough to bait Manning into thinking it was a certain look when in fact it really was another. He talked about activating various players until “the QB decided who was going to sack him.”

Obviously, this is far more difficult with Manning, but maybe the limited amount of tape on our new defense will be enough to fool Manning in the first half. Or maybe they won’t blitz at all!

Still, I can’t see Tarver taking it down from his +40% blitzing ratio.

Today I heard some positive comments about our team, the 9 sacks were mentioned

• Raider Riff

Manhattan, the only surprise will be when/if Dr Racist finally starts rooting for the Raiders.

• JLofty

I know we are going to battle in Denver. They are talented sure and on a mission granted. But the Raiders seem to have acquired some swagger.
    I think they believe they can play football with anyone. I am so used to Monday Night BLOWOUTS that I am still having trouble but that oval ball bounces funny to be sure.
    We’re screwed if Porter doesn’t play. Guy has had nice coverage first 2 games.

• TerrapinRaider

The Terrapin’s mini assessment so far: We’re competitive with some teams primarily because of TP. If he’s not playing you would see an entirely different lookin team – no oline, no offense, and winded defense. Yes, one player is making that much of a difference.

This team needs another HC and OC – they both suck. We all know about the HC but the new OC (as I expected) is no good. His offensive scheme is boring and mostly unimaginative. He’s only better than Krapp but leap years behind Hue Jackson.

• elraidmanhattan

67- i am sure exotic blitzes will be present, however not at the start, one thing manning does well is quick release without clady we shall see

• elraidmanhattan

Riff don’t hold your breath, actually i think he took a break to eat some gerbers

• Raider Riff

Pryor & co better be ready for the altitude.

This concerns me at the moment.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

The Eternal-Purvert Cross-Poster…………………..aka Scourge/Green know nothing’s gossipy btches……………gone???

• elraidmanhattan

You think the altitude will get the better of Pryor? I don’t think so.

• Raider4Life209

Raider4Life209 Says:
    September 18th, 2013 at 5:13 pm

inonewordraider Says:
    September 18th, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Raider4Life209 Says:
    September 18th, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Hoyer chosen instead of Campbell. Read it and weep.

____
    mistic says its a great move so the browns can see what they have in hoyer

it’s week 3, i’m pretty sure they’re not throwing in the towel yet!
    ==========

Wow! Called it!!!

• rediaR

TerrapinRaider Says:
    September 18th, 2013 at 5:09 pm

——————————
    I don’t agree with any of this, with the exception of Knapp being terrible.

• Raider4Life209

Raider4Life209 Says:
    September 18th, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    September 18th, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Aig-Raiders Says:
    September 18th, 2013 at 4:27 pm
    Yo Mistic,
    You gonna call NAACP on behalf of JC for being passed over the starting gig in Cleveland? lmfao
    =====================

prudent move by the browns actually

the browns can evaluate hoyer to see if he is qb of the future because they clearly are not sold on weeden.

• Raider Riff

I’m not saying it will. But if he’s running a lot, it should be an issue.

It will also be a issue for our lineman.

I’m going off what Linc Kennedy was saying the other day on the game.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

FIRE REGGIE NOW.

• RaidingTexas

Wow, just saw the post about the new commenting format. So do we want to place bets on who will disappear?

• JLofty

Not to worry bros. Pryor was up here in NL Tahoe on his day off this week training for THIS:

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Tarver has to rotate those DT’s and keep pressure up the middle on Peyton.

• Raider Riff

Is that true lofty?

Nice Intel. I’m glad he’s aware of the issue. Bit it takes no less than 3 weeks to adapt.

One or two days at high altitude will give him an idea of what he’s to face and some ideas on how to react. But its not like he’ll be acclimated.

• aig-raiders

For those wondering about the comments from TP re crybaby Flynn. I think TP sounded pretty serious to me. here is the link and go to the 6:44 mark.

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

THE COLTS GETTING RICHARDSON FROM THE BROWNS IS HUGE..THANKS MR.CORKRAN.

• Raider Riff

AIG,

Ya. It sounds like Flynn is not being too supportive.

TP is taking the high road.

Time to ship Flynn out if u ask me.

• papertiger418

RaidingTexas Says:
    September 18th, 2013 at 5:18 pm

——

Put me down for BSJ! Condo and the ST unit are going to flag him into oblivion.

• rediaR

Raider Riff Says:
    September 18th, 2013 at 5:25 pm
    AIG,

Ya. It sounds like Flynn is not being too supportive.

TP is taking the high road.

Time to ship Flynn out if u ask me.
    ————————
    No it doesn’t.

• papertiger418

Riff,

I’m definitely worried about our linemen. They’re already taxed by blocking for longer than usual; altitude will just exacerbate the problem. Combine that with long drives (which we need to win) and they could be gassed by halftime.

Conversely, the same issue applies to the defense. The coaches say they’re not worried about it, but maybe they should just juice the team up for this one week.

Whatever it takes to win!

• JLofty

Here’s the whole interview with Pryor.
    No talk of cancers in the locker room. Nothing but personal accountability and putting in the work required to be successful….

• papertiger418

#79

It’s just hilarious that Browns management gave up on the team so quickly! 2 games into the season is unheard of.

Still, if the demand for an RB is there…wonder how that conversation went with Norval?

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

seems to me that people are misinformed about blitzing the qb and peyton. simply looking at numbers vs the blitz doesnttell the whole story.

peyton is good against the blitz because he always knows where his hots are, and has had the luxury of wayne and harrison for years.

Now he has welker and the tight end forgot is name.

They key isnt simply blitzing its how many time you hit him that counts.

when he finds his hots tackle the wr, that is what ruined us last year. failing to get home on the blitz compounded by missed tackles in the secondary.

if you tackle wrs peyton becomes ordinary against the blitz

if you actually start to hit him on the blitz peyton turns into mat flynn

• elraidmanhattan

Glad Reg has been talking to Houston’s agent about extension, sure he feels like a new man playing with real NFL caliber guys, and is the leader of that line now.

• JLofty

No Riff not true. Made that up as a joke.

But altitude acclimation takes days not weeks majority of it anyway. Especially in those at the fitness level of a pro football player. Probably ought to be there by friday and practice Sat at Univ of Denver or something…

• elraidmanhattan

Paper- browns d looks improved, but weeden had no shot at succeeding and i am sure they knew before season offense needed major revamping, greg little sucks, gordon overrated they do like the TE cameron

• elraidmanhattan

Problem raiders will have monday is with welker, can’t be blocked at line, sure welker will have one of those 10-12 catch nights, and then go up top to tnomas

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

MR, Your life is over.

How does it feel?

• the famous dr robert

Raider Riff Says:
    September 18th, 2013 at 5:07 pm
    ********
    This is the kind of lie that makes u the punk u are.