Manning, Woodson together … once again

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, September 19th, 2013 at 2:07 pm in Oakland Raiders.

ALAMEDA — Way back in 1998, two players sat in the so-called green room at the start of the NFL draft. By day’s end, Peyton Manning was on his way to the Indianapolis Colts as the top pick. Cornerback Charles Woodson went to the Raiders three picks later.
On Monday night, Manning and Woodson will be on the same stage once again, this time as enemies in the first divisional game for both teams this season.
Interestingly, Manning and Woodson came close to being teammates this season. The Broncos met with Woodson during the offseason and attempted to add him to their defense.
Ultimately, Woodson decided to return to the Raiders for a second stint after spending the past seven seasons with the Green Bay Packers.
“You can’t blame us for not trying,” Broncos coach John Fox said. “We tried.”
Manning said he met with Woodson when the Broncos were in the process of wooing Woodson. Not even the allure of combining their Hall of Fame-caliber resumes and bringing them to bear on the rest of the league was enough to sway Woodson.
Fox and Manning said that you can see the impact Woodson has on the Raiders defense, just by watching tape in advance of their game Monday.
“I have no doubt that Charles Woodson will do great things for (the Raiders),” Fox said. “I know it’s early in the year, but you can see his stamp on the way the defense is flying around, running around and playing with confidence. There’s nothing like having leadership in the locker room.”

– The Broncos lead the league in scoring at 45 points per game. However, they failed to score in the first quarter of both games. That means they are averaging 15 points per game in the second, third and fourth quarters.
The Raiders allowed only seven points in their first two games. So, it should be interesting to see if things hold to form Monday night.

– It’s standard for quarterbacks to talk up the cohesion and tight bond in the so-called quarterbacks room. Found Terrelle Pryor’s answer to what things are like among the quarterbacks rather interesting.
“I’ve just got to focus on the job at hand,” Prypr said. “The guys have been really great support to me, and I just have to keep on focusing on the job that I have to do to help the ‘we’ of the offense. I can’t really worry about, or think about whether guys are still dwelling on stuff. I’ve got a job to do, my butt’s on the line, so I’ve got to get the guys going and not really worry about that stuff.”
General manager Reggie McKenzie said he isn’t sure how Matt Flynn took the news of being passed over for the starting job in favor of Pryor late in training camp.
“That decision was told to him by the head coach,” McKenzie said. “I wasn’t in the room to see if he was shocked or see what his mannerisms were like. But he knew that his arm was giving him problems. I know he can’t be shocked too much with that.
“But when (Allen) said we’re going to go with Pryor as our guy, I’m sure anybody worth their salt, they aren’t going to be excited about it. They want to compete and see if they can get that job back. But that’s something that you’d probably have to ask him or Dennis about.”
Well, we’ve tried to get Flynn’s take on how he views the turn of events. For now, Flynn isn’t speaking with the media.

– McKenzie said he is certain that his players will be ready for the bright lights Monday night. You can be certain that the Broncos won’t be overwhelmed by the magnitude of the game.
They opened with a game against the defending Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens, with everyone watching, given theirs was the only game being played.
Next came a game against the New York Giants, with a ton of hype given to the game because of Manning going against his younger brother, Eli, for only the third time as NFL players.
After the Raiders game Monday night, the Broncos host the Philadelphia Eagles, then travel to Dallas and Indianapolis within a three-week span.
“That’s what the NFL is today,” Manning said. “I like to think we have the right kind of guys to understand what a privilege it is to play every single Sunday or Monday in the NFL and that every game is big and the biggest game is the next one but it is special.
“You’re playing the Raiders on Monday night football, it’s a division opponent, it’s the biggest game because it’s this week’s game. It’s going into my 16th season or going into your second season, if you’re not excited about the opportunity to play an NFL game then something’s wrong with you again.”

• Just Fire Baby

Goodell is the judge and jury, he can do whatever he wants.

And you have to agree upon said terms if you want to be a professional football player.

Just the way it is, and should be.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL Says:
    September 19th, 2013 at 6:10 am
    GOOD MORNING SPORT’S FAN’S..PROBABLY WILL BE OUTA HERE AFTER THE FORMAT CHANGE..NOT INTO ANY OF THE SOCIAL MEDIA STUFF..

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It’s just a different platform for the same thing DIRT-LOT.

Personally I’d rather have the antiquated WordPress but Disqus does the same thing. Just a different platform.

You just go to Disques and register just like you did for this blog on WordPress.
    You just need three things: The handle you want-user account name-and password you want.

http:www.disqus.com/profile/signup

• RaiderRan

DJ Johnny Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 7:55 am

Plunketthead Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 7:30 am
    The Infamous Doc Roid really outdid himself last night.
    Post the list 10 times and swear it was not him after he did the same thing last time.

Boy needs some prayer

I don’t know. Imo it makes more sense that it’s someone who hates him doing it.

I don’t think he’s MR either. There are large differences in their wording etc. and their takes.

People want to ascribe to MR this super uncanny ability to switch emotions, attitudes, phrasing etc. in order for him to “play” these characters and this ability to switch back and forth with various personas who some time agree with him but sometimes don’t as if it’s part of this grand plan of his to mess with the blog. I don’t see it.

For instance the MR I’ve always known is 1st and foremost an Al Davis hater. He’s also a big time liberal who always vehemently defended minority rights etc. yet Rob is always accused of being racist and never says anything about Al Davis.

================
    MR has not only bragged in the past on what he did, but detailed it.
    Last night dr rob, who evidence shows is MR, states “omg, I just found out how to do it. never knew that if you click on your name, you can change your display name. Ohhhh. That’s how they do it.”
    He’s been doing it all along, and now? all of a sudden states he just figured it out?
    Yeah, sure, we’re all just that stupid, dr rob.
    MR’s persona’s always took on a life of their own, which he deliberately does just so some would state what you just did. From bad spelling, to opposing views. From hating Al to loving Al. From anti racist, to dr rob’s race baiting.
    Coincidence that the moment MR stopped posting here from noon until 2am that dr rob took over?
    Coincidence that once Flynn looked to lose his starts that all of a sudden MR and alex7 show up, taking dr rob’s exact stance?
    Coincidence that MR all of a sudden is defending dr rob? Saying he’s a true raider fan? Great call on the radio?

This is exactly how MR has always done it.
    No surprises.

• ENGLANDRAIDER
  • Gdog

DJ Johnny Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 10:50 am

Everyone says Reggie won’t go after “big name” free agents but I think he will. He won’t overpay (unless he absolutely has to) for run of the mill guys but keep in mind what he said about how GB got to, and won the 1st SB with him. Reggie said in GB it wasn’t until they got Favre and then Reggie White that they got to the top. Reggie White was a huge FA signing and Reggie alludes to it as being key to their success.

Reggie will build it the “right way” but he is not averse to the big splash signing if it will help the team. Don’t be surprised to see a couple biggies next season if he can get em to come.

>>>>

If he doesn’t bring in an actual blue chip number one receiver next year, he deserves to get fired. GB ALWAYS has great WR’s and Reggie has given us undrafted free agents and 7th rounders so far. There are THREE GB WRs rated higher than our highest (Streater.)

This is just not going to fly in the NFL… and I am sick of it.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Goodell is a moron and he’s ruining the game.

• Just Fire Baby

1st round pick should be a WR next year.

I would love Sammy Watkins.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

DJ Johnny Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 10:53 am
    ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 10:45 am
    WTF!
    DR Rob if you posted those repeated lists then you are biggest jackazz in the world.

I don’t think it was him.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You could be right DJ.
    I’ve seen racist posts on here with his name on top and those obviously weren’t posted by him.

• RaiderRan

And the charade last night? With the spamming of the board?
    Where dr rob went out of his way to request a poster to verify from cork that it wasn’t his dr rob ip that spammed?

MR also bragged about how he can’t be tracked.
    Remember his PROVE IT over and over?
    Laughed and posted that with proxy’s he could post under any number of names, and no one could prove one was the other.
    Just like he did last night.
    And I suspect this “imposter” is just as he’s done in the past. Spams the board. hour long conversations. and replies of PROVE IT when called out he’s talking to himself.

He knows Cork banning that IP wouldn’t change anything. As he bragged before, he just opens up a new proxy.

And no doubt he’s already planning on spamming the new format.

• No Mas Diamante

Think that dr boob used to be sulliva44. Anybody remember him? Both use the term “sparkle Pony’.

• Macho Man Randy Savage

They are changing the blog format? What´s it gonna change to?

• jumpnjiminy

You know what? Sure we rant about our qb situation and it’s not easy to go all in for Pryor (though I still much prefer him over Palmer the choker/loser…his career win/loss record speaks for itself…bum!), but the Bunkos have to play against our defense and we’ve only allowed 30 points thus far…might be a lot closer game than the experts think…I’m taking Oak with – the points of course…15 currently btw.

• romania

Yo England. Join Riff. Us Euros gotta stick together. And anybody how digs pub grub can’t be all bad!

• No Mas Diamante

agree that we have to go wr next year. right now we have one who is producing. Hope some of the young guys step up.

• RaiderRan

ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 11:01 am

DJ Johnny Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 10:53 am
    ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 10:45 am
    WTF!

I don’t think it was him.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You could be right DJ.
    ============
    When the board changed formats years ago, and all of MR’s aliases were gone, was obvious to all that he did exactly what you just said. took opposite opposing views. had arguments with himself. insulted himself. and would always claim victory under one of his names.

he’s all about getting attention.

• DJ Johnny

Plunketthead Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 8:16 am
    DJjohnny

I keep saying the same thing. Alex7 is the only one who remotely resembles the original MR. I think MR left the building. Others disagree

He’s here under the “MR Stickiest of the Icky” or something like that and lately…going back to last yr has been one of the most congenial, amiable posters on the blog. Willing to change his opinion based on evidence etc. He predicted 10-6 for us this yr. I wanna say.

I do think he was the character ‘Ricochet’ who was one of the biggest dik heads I have ever seen here.

• Gdog

Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 10:59 am

1st round pick should be a WR next year.

I would love Sammy Watkins.

>>>>

I like it.

Lets wait one more year before picking a QB in the first round.

• DJ Johnny

Raider Ran, You think so? Would a guy go to those lengths of creating opposing characters with entirely differing views, argue with himself etc. and still be able to keep it all in line basically?

I guess we’ll never truly know.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

R8erEduc8er Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 10:34 am
    saving the season after Seabass kicks a game-winning 52 yard FG week 17 to make the last WC spot.

===========

Seabass would miss with that much on the line…
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yeah, let’s get rid of the bum. He’s so undependable.(sarcasm)

What has he ever done for us?

—————

“In 2012, Janikowksi accounted for 118 points, marking his third-straight season with more than 100 points. He was 31-for-34 on field-goal attempts on the season, with his only misses coming on 51-, 61- and 64-yarders. He became one of just nine kickers in NFL history to hit at least 91.2 percent of his field goals during a season while perfect from 49 yards or less.

Janikowski earned his first Pro Bowl selection following the 2011 campaign, when he scored 129 points and was seven-for-10 on field-goal attempts of more than 50 yards. In 2010, Janikowski set the Raiders franchise record with 142 points, hitting 33-of-41 field-goal attempts and going a perfect 43-for-43 on PATs.”

———-

Sounds like a guy who should definitely be traded (sarcasm).

• R8erEduc8er

Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 10:59 am
    1st round pick should be a WR next year.

I would love Sammy Watkins.

=====

Ditto! Although, someone on this blog was saying that Watkins is too small and likes weed too much.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

I would love Sammy Watkins.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That would not be a bad move.

• RaiderRan

DJ Johnny Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 11:09 am

I guess we’ll never truly know.
    —————-
    He bragged about it.
    MR used to change names and post under whichever name called him out, including mine.
    Admitted different times he was posting as so and so, and no one could do anything about it.
    finally told everyone how he did it, and stated no one could prove it.
    It’s why I post on a couple of pretty popular raider sites, and not here.
    Too many games.

• R8erEduc8er

Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 10:54 am
    TP was suspended by the NFL for lying to the NCAAA.

He wasn’t even kicked out of school, he withdrew. But did face suspension for improper benefits.

==========

He’s still banned from having any contact or affiliation with Ohio State for 5 years…that was imposed by Ohio State.

Pryor told the Columbus Dispatch that he has “moved on” from his fractured relationship with Ohio State, which has banned the quarterback from any contact with the school’s athletic program.

“That’s my school, but they don’t really accept me,” Pryor, now the starting quarterback for the Oakland Raiders, told the Dispatch. “I’ve moved on to what I have now, and that’s just football.”

• ENGLANDRAIDER

romania Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 11:05 am

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yo Romania. Just came back from a few days in Paris.

Thanks.
    I barely have enough time to be on this blog though.
    I’m in two money pools with a fair amount of money involved and it takes all my time just to win those.

I keep doing this blog first for Jerry and Cork’s writing and second because certain posters on here are pretty smart. Others…not so much.

I keep spending this much time online and I’m going the way of Scottish Raider.

• RaidingTexas

ENGLANDRAIDER Says:

Goodell is a moron and he’s ruining the game.

—————————————

But you and everyone else still watch it!

• R8erEduc8er

I think we’re going Marqise Lee next year. He’s right next door at USC so he’d be a fan favorite. Although I’m born, raised, and live in the Southeast, I prefer we draft guys closer to Oakland whenever possible. Easier adjustment for them and they may even be Raider fans like Chargers receiver Keenan Allen lol.

new post jolly ole chaps!!

• ENGLANDRAIDER

RaidingTexas Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 11:21 am
    ENGLANDRAIDER Says:

Goodell is a moron and he’s ruining the game.

—————————————

But you and everyone else still watch it!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It’s the most exciting game there is Tex.
    Of course they play a similar game in Rugy without the helmets.

• http://raiders.com/ Crawfish Joe