Manning, Woodson together … once again

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, September 19th, 2013 at 2:07 pm in Oakland Raiders.

ALAMEDA — Way back in 1998, two players sat in the so-called green room at the start of the NFL draft. By day’s end, Peyton Manning was on his way to the Indianapolis Colts as the top pick. Cornerback Charles Woodson went to the Raiders three picks later.
On Monday night, Manning and Woodson will be on the same stage once again, this time as enemies in the first divisional game for both teams this season.
Interestingly, Manning and Woodson came close to being teammates this season. The Broncos met with Woodson during the offseason and attempted to add him to their defense.
Ultimately, Woodson decided to return to the Raiders for a second stint after spending the past seven seasons with the Green Bay Packers.
“You can’t blame us for not trying,” Broncos coach John Fox said. “We tried.”
Manning said he met with Woodson when the Broncos were in the process of wooing Woodson. Not even the allure of combining their Hall of Fame-caliber resumes and bringing them to bear on the rest of the league was enough to sway Woodson.
Fox and Manning said that you can see the impact Woodson has on the Raiders defense, just by watching tape in advance of their game Monday.
“I have no doubt that Charles Woodson will do great things for (the Raiders),” Fox said. “I know it’s early in the year, but you can see his stamp on the way the defense is flying around, running around and playing with confidence. There’s nothing like having leadership in the locker room.”

– The Broncos lead the league in scoring at 45 points per game. However, they failed to score in the first quarter of both games. That means they are averaging 15 points per game in the second, third and fourth quarters.
The Raiders allowed only seven points in their first two games. So, it should be interesting to see if things hold to form Monday night.

– It’s standard for quarterbacks to talk up the cohesion and tight bond in the so-called quarterbacks room. Found Terrelle Pryor’s answer to what things are like among the quarterbacks rather interesting.
“I’ve just got to focus on the job at hand,” Prypr said. “The guys have been really great support to me, and I just have to keep on focusing on the job that I have to do to help the ‘we’ of the offense. I can’t really worry about, or think about whether guys are still dwelling on stuff. I’ve got a job to do, my butt’s on the line, so I’ve got to get the guys going and not really worry about that stuff.”
General manager Reggie McKenzie said he isn’t sure how Matt Flynn took the news of being passed over for the starting job in favor of Pryor late in training camp.
“That decision was told to him by the head coach,” McKenzie said. “I wasn’t in the room to see if he was shocked or see what his mannerisms were like. But he knew that his arm was giving him problems. I know he can’t be shocked too much with that.
“But when (Allen) said we’re going to go with Pryor as our guy, I’m sure anybody worth their salt, they aren’t going to be excited about it. They want to compete and see if they can get that job back. But that’s something that you’d probably have to ask him or Dennis about.”
Well, we’ve tried to get Flynn’s take on how he views the turn of events. For now, Flynn isn’t speaking with the media.

– McKenzie said he is certain that his players will be ready for the bright lights Monday night. You can be certain that the Broncos won’t be overwhelmed by the magnitude of the game.
They opened with a game against the defending Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens, with everyone watching, given theirs was the only game being played.
Next came a game against the New York Giants, with a ton of hype given to the game because of Manning going against his younger brother, Eli, for only the third time as NFL players.
After the Raiders game Monday night, the Broncos host the Philadelphia Eagles, then travel to Dallas and Indianapolis within a three-week span.
“That’s what the NFL is today,” Manning said. “I like to think we have the right kind of guys to understand what a privilege it is to play every single Sunday or Monday in the NFL and that every game is big and the biggest game is the next one but it is special.
“You’re playing the Raiders on Monday night football, it’s a division opponent, it’s the biggest game because it’s this week’s game. It’s going into my 16th season or going into your second season, if you’re not excited about the opportunity to play an NFL game then something’s wrong with you again.”

• theghostronin79

RaidingTexas Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 8:15 am
    Theghostronin79 Says:

I wasn’t that impressed. Seemed more a factor of Philly being BAD, than KC looking good.

————————————–

Eagles are bad. But someone still wins. And you don’t luck your way into a 3-0 start. They’re not the doormat they were last season.

=================

I agree they are NO doormat, and I’d be on cloud 9 if we were sitting at 3-0 right now. I’d say that at least TWO of Philly’s turnovers were gifts….The muffed punt, and the crappy snap to Vick. The pick 6 was a great play on a suspect throw….

I thought KC had ONE good drive. Fairly boring, but it got the job done. They marched down the field and ate up over 8 minutes, and only a few plays really stand out as “Good ones” to me.

I think they look beatable. They’re in great position right now, but I’m not really impressed.

Donkey’s on the other hand…. They look like a bit of a Juggernaut. Hell, I think even SD looks better than KC. Record doesn’t say so, but the eye test does.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

GG Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 8:26 am
    The only shame, and it’s a big one, is that the entire history will be lost.

Can someone email cork and suggest they merely archive it rather than purge it all? So there’d be a link somewhere in the new format called ARCHIVE. you can click it, and it takes you to that full list of articles written to date and comments made. Just it’s all locked up so comments cannot be made anymore.
    ——————————–
    I agree. Archive it, no need to scrap everything!

• Try Some Reality

Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 8:18 am
    Someone tweeted that yesterday and Vick’s brother got all bent did you see that?

*****************************

I did, Marcus tweeted “your mom is just an average WHORE”.

LMAO….Such a classy family.

===============================

What a POS

• bcz24

I wish a mod would come in and delete those ridiculous posts. It takes like 45 seconds to refresh this page, when it should be instantaneous.

• Marks hair

we still need to get better if we want more than a handful of wins. byt we have better leaders and coaches this yr, so at least there’s hope.

• RaidingTexas

@999 – Maybe one of the nerds here can figure out a way to extract it all and put it on some free public site.

• Try Some Reality

“Flynn, a willing and able interview subject throughout training camp, has declined interview requests since Pryor was named the starter as he copes with losing a starting position for the second straight season.

A year ago, under similar circumstances, Flynn, signed as a free agent to be the presumptive starter, was having issues with elbow soreness and rookie third-round draft pick Russell Wilson ended up winning the job.

While Pryor spoke often during training camp about Flynn’s positive influence in the quarterback room, he sidestepped the question when speaking with the media Wednesday.

“I can’t really worry about or think about whether guys are still dwelling on stuff,” Pryor said. “I’ve got a job to do, my butt’s on the line, so I’ve got to get the guys going and not really worry about that stuff.”

• theghostronin79

Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 8:23 am
    Going for 2 points in the pro’s all the time is a sure fire way of getting fired.

First game you lose by one point, because you felt the need to be cute, good luck with that.

=============

Converting the 2 would have swung the other way. It’s just strategy. He’s accustomed to converting. Used to do it in almost every game. It isn’t cute, it’s just part of his game.

• RaidingTexas

Someone could try tweeting Cork and Jmac to see if those posts can be deleted.

After one week , Rockstar was throwing egg on my face.

After one week RRS? Really?

***

@JFB

for Chip Kelly? I did?

I must have been a bit punchy over my Terrelle Pryor mancrush. I don’t remember. I thought most of the egg thrown was due to King beating out Kluwe and Mike Jenkins being our #1 CB when you said he wouldn’t even make the 53. Also Phil Adams > JFORD at punt returns. Brandon Weeden becoming a star this year. etc etc

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 8:33 am
    After one week , Rockstar was throwing egg on my face.

After one week RRS? Really?

***

@JFB

for Chip Kelly? I did?

—————————-
    Smug, but funny.

• Charlie

Theg

My point was that every college coach with the exception of Johnson and Switzer (with Johnson’s team) has FAILED AT THE NFL LEVEL WITHOUT PRIOR NFL EXPERIENCE.

Every one. Look it up. Saban, Spurrier, Holtz, Fairbanks etc. etc.

A GIMMICK like what Kelley is throwing out to the NFL works against undermanned teams. When the talent gap is reduced (like in the NFL)the gimmick is far less effective.

@JFB

I don’t even watch college football. I don’t know a darn thing about Chip Kelly. If his offense was dynamite in Week 1 and you predicted he would stink in the NFL … I probably did bring it up though (lol)

i’m that kinda guy you love to hate. After all, i’m a Raiders fan. KC is 3-0 and i’m hearing crap from everybody.

My response? I posted a Ronald McDonald picture on Facebook with a Chiefs logo on his shirt that says they hold a record for postseason losses dating back to 1995. 1 and done. My caption on it says “relax folks, it’s only September”

• Charlie

Judge

Just pointing out that the NFL game has not changed as much as some seem to think.

No you can not run the ball 70% of the time and win. You can not pass it 70% of the time and win either.

You have to be balanced and win on the line of scrimmage to win in the NFL. The Niner’s looked pretty average after the Seahawks punched them in the mouth. How effective was the read option in that one?

• Crawfish Joe

New format will send you an email every time someone comments on your thread. Feature needs to be disabled in settings. New format will take the ease out of what we have here. dr rob is upset that Pryor is the QB and can’t handle it. Whether that was him destroying the blog last night or his imposter is questionable. One thing for sure it was horse sh*t. That can easily be prevented here with controls on the amount of letters you can put in a comment box.

I like to remind KC fans that they went 10-6 in the first year with Todd Haley & Matt Cassel. got beat by 30 points in the first playoff game, then followed with 3 years of AWFUL football. history repeats itself

Reid & Smith might be ok this year, but will go stale in about 20 minutes and they’ll be right back at the bottom of the division.

Reid’s “prolific” offense expertise and Smith’s passing accumen are a joke. Without that top notch defense they are 0-3 right now

Bob Sutton (a Rex Ryan disciple) picked right up where Romeo Crennel left off

Crawfish Joe joins the AM crew?

I thought you only showed up from midnight to 3am with the other cochroaches??

welcome! good morning!

• Just Fire Baby

**********************************

You did, and when I said RRS, really after one week, you replied “are you new around here”? LOL.

I never said Jenkins WOULDN’T MAKE THE 53, just threw him out as suprise potential cut if he flops in camp.

He didn’t and kudo’s to him. I still don’t trust him.

• theghostronin79

============

It’s just a system that (Like any other) has a counter punch that can neutralize it.

AND, just like any other scheme, comes down to execution. It’s new to the NFL, and also the players…

Yeah, the Niners got Bit*h slapped by Seattle…but they were also in the Super Bowl last year, running with some Read Option.

• willy91137

what the hell did Dr. Robert have a meltdown

@JFB

what team did your boy Kluwe sign with?

you pulled all the stats of him being an excellent punter, if I recall

Duck voted him in the Pro Bowl. Bcz gave him the Nobel Peace Prize. Riff purchased 900 copies of his new book. Dr Bob did his laundry

• Crawfish Joe

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 8:47 am
    Crawfish Joe joins the AM crew?

I thought you only showed up from midnight to 3am with the other cochroaches??

welcome! good morning!

====================================================

:lol:

Todays schedule allows me to check out the sanity of the AMers’.

• PlunkforHOF

September 19th, 2013 at 2:05 pm
    OFFICIAL SEMI PREDICTION BOARD WEEK 3
    Week # 1 winner: GDog ($)
    Week # 2 winner: Dakota (3)
    860Todd Christensen Raiders 34-27
    r8dercain Raiders 31-30
    RaiderRetribution Raiders 26-13
    SnBG Broncos 38-13
    spiff Raiders 23-21
    the famous dr Robert Broncos 34-3
    *****************************************************
    Again, (and again) here is the format:
    Your name (space) Winning team (space) final score
    ie:
    PlunkforHOF Raiders 35-9
    You don’t have to plug into the list, but if you type it that way it makes it much easier to do this list. Inability to do so means riding the short bus.

• Crawfish Joe

willy91137 Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 8:53 am
    what the hell did Dr. Robert have a meltdown

================================================

He went nuclear.

• The_Judge37

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 8:47 am
    Crawfish Joe joins the AM crew?

I thought you only showed up from midnight to 3am with the other cochroaches??

welcome! good morning!
    —-

LOL @ the Welcome committee

• Just Fire Baby

. It’s just strategy. He’s accustomed to converting.

********************************

It is a strategy of which he thinks he is smarter then every NFL HC ever to stand on the sidelines.

He’s not, and after 3 games he has shown a complete inability to manage the clock.

He is completely in over his head.

@JFB

come on now!

anybody might be a “suprise potential cut if he flops in camp” you told us how everybody hated him in Dallas and how he was a POS human being and terrible football player that might get busted for drugs or something, lol

Gdog said he was PFF’s highest rated defensive player :) I know you love you some stats

• Crawfish Joe

PlunkforHOF Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 8:54 am
    September 19th, 2013 at 2:05 pm
    OFFICIAL SEMI PREDICTION BOARD WEEK 3

===============================================

Are you going to be able to do the prediction board when Cork rolls this into the new format?

• Just Fire Baby

you pulled all the stats of him being an excellent punter, if I recall

***********************************

He is, but he is also a colossal pain in the azz and hence why Minny canned him and nobody wants him.

Punters shouldn’t be distractions.

But I bet we win week 1 with Kluwe as the punter/holder!!!!!

• LA to TheBay

1016.RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 8:45 am

Bob Sutton (a Rex Ryan disciple) picked right up where Romeo Crennel left off

—-

Wasn’t that the year we smoked ‘em in the Marshall/Cable farewell game?

“We’re not losers anymore.”

thanks, Judge!

I’m brushing up on my greeter skills, since DMAC said he saw Darryl Blackstock as a door greeter at his local Wal-Mart

I thought to myself, “hey – if DBlack can do it so can I”

• PlunkforHOF

That’s the last time I’m posting adding, to or doing lists. I am also going to refrain from posting at all until I no longer see that psychotic narcissist here. This blog has become a joke and I have better things to do. I’ll check in now again to see if its changed, but I don’t hold out much hope. JLofty and B@auceman know how to contact me, and I’ll see you at the Steeler’s game. I might move the list to Riff’s group, bit right now I’m disgusted.

Wasn’t that the year we smoked ‘em in the Marshall/Cable farewell game?

“We’re not losers anymore.”

***

I think so, LA (2009)

• Just Fire Baby

************************************

Let’s not go too far here.

Hey, he sucked in Dallas and was a jack azz when he was there. They threw him out and acted like it was addition by subtraction.

Kudo’s to Pastor Kaufman I guess for turning him around.

• theghostronin79

Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 8:55 am
    . It’s just strategy. He’s accustomed to converting.

********************************

He is completely in over his head.

==============

I’m sure that, after he signed with Philly, he layed in bed at night with visions of himself hoisting the Lombardi while Roger Goodell was crying on one knee; in awe of what he just witnessed.

He’s getting his rude awakening. Sure he fancies himself a smart coach, and he’s falling under heavy scrutiny because of his college record and one of a kind “Style of play”…..

I agree he is in over his head right now……But I’m convinced his system works, and he will get it figured out. I just don’t know how long the Eagles will give him to do so.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

I think so, LA (2009)
    ————————
    2010 not to split hairs

But I bet we win week 1 with Kluwe as the punter/holder!!!!!

***

@JFB

does Kluwe have healing powers for Seabass calf injury? does he have some happy pills to make Seabass forget about Shane Lechler?

I don’t understand how Kluweless on the roster makes Seabass healthy (physically and/or mentally)

• Charlie

RR

A big part of Reid’s strategy is play great defense and conservative offense.
    He won a lot of games that way in Philly and the Chiefs will be tough because of it.

If you want to criticize his style is that his approach can fail badly against playoff competition.

Reid and Schottenheimer coach the same way and Schott was always tough on the Raiders.

• Just Fire Baby

*****************************

Kicking is like putting, it is like 85% mental.

King is in Seabass’s head. Going back to last preseason, I would be suprised if he is even kicking at 75% when King holds.

• The_Judge37

Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 9:08 am

*****************************

Kicking is like putting, it is like 85% mental.

——–

That’s something Reggie should’ve considered before he broke up the Pro Bowl trio. Something he should’ve had King practicing all off season on injured reserve.

• Just Fire Baby

Watched Fisher last night and Joeckel on Sunday.

Not sure what the hype was, they both sucked.

Fisher was beaten like a drum twice for sacks, and leads the NFL in penalties now.

@Charlie

if you want hop in bed with Andy Reid, be my guest. He’s an offensive coach. I’m not giving him credit for what Jim Johnson did in Philly or what Bob Sutton is doing in KC (inherited by Crennel, really).

Reid gets the credit for what he did with McNabb, Westbrook, etc – winning a bunch of games and then losing when it counts

Tons of talent in Philly last year with Vick, McCoy, D-Jax, etc and they went 4-12 resulting in him getting fired

Newflash: the Raiders won 4 games last year too with Knapp, Palmer & Heyward-Bey (psst, not a huge accomplishment!)

• Just Fire Baby

Something he should’ve had King practicing all off season on injured reserve.

******************************

You are aware that CBA rules do not allow the team to work with players during parts of the offseason right?

King should have been practicing on his own. He isn’t an hourly worker.

Pryor hired those QB coaches, and those coaches work with Brees and Ben and all kinds of other QB’s in the offseason.

Offseason is where the team learns who is committed or not, since it is up to the players SOLELY to work on their craft in the offseason.

• RaidingTexas

RaiderRockstar Says:

@JFB

what team did your boy Kluwe sign with?

you pulled all the stats of him being an excellent punter, if I recall

——————————————-

He was worth keeping for his holding ability. I don’t know if you jesters in the King’s court have heard, but sounds like he’s been taken off holding duty.

Said all along, that miss week 1 was the hold. DA was just trying to keep his punter’s confidence from imploding.

Watched Fisher last night and Joeckel on Sunday.

Not sure what the hype was, they both sucked.

***

who cares? what does OT Lane Johnson look like after 3 games? thats the guy we had a chance to draft – but decided to trade down

***

@Texas

link? source?

• Whoknows

Seabass will be just fine. We have the 6.5 million dollar man holding now.

• hwnrdr

Site still actiong up I see….

***

Exactly, Judge. everybody clowns me for supporting Marq King (a Raider. Kluwe isn’t) – but nobody seems to recall I wanted to retain Shane Lechler and make sure he retires a Raider. I was not in favor of kicking him to the curb only to hand the job to unproven King or some scrub for vet minimum in FA

• Whoknows