1,179

Manning, Woodson together … once again

ALAMEDA — Way back in 1998, two players sat in the so-called green room at the start of the NFL draft. By day’s end, Peyton Manning was on his way to the Indianapolis Colts as the top pick. Cornerback Charles Woodson went to the Raiders three picks later.
On Monday night, Manning and Woodson will be on the same stage once again, this time as enemies in the first divisional game for both teams this season.
Interestingly, Manning and Woodson came close to being teammates this season. The Broncos met with Woodson during the offseason and attempted to add him to their defense.
Ultimately, Woodson decided to return to the Raiders for a second stint after spending the past seven seasons with the Green Bay Packers.
“You can’t blame us for not trying,” Broncos coach John Fox said. “We tried.”
Manning said he met with Woodson when the Broncos were in the process of wooing Woodson. Not even the allure of combining their Hall of Fame-caliber resumes and bringing them to bear on the rest of the league was enough to sway Woodson.
Fox and Manning said that you can see the impact Woodson has on the Raiders defense, just by watching tape in advance of their game Monday.
“I have no doubt that Charles Woodson will do great things for (the Raiders),” Fox said. “I know it’s early in the year, but you can see his stamp on the way the defense is flying around, running around and playing with confidence. There’s nothing like having leadership in the locker room.”

– The Broncos lead the league in scoring at 45 points per game. However, they failed to score in the first quarter of both games. That means they are averaging 15 points per game in the second, third and fourth quarters.
The Raiders allowed only seven points in their first two games. So, it should be interesting to see if things hold to form Monday night.

– It’s standard for quarterbacks to talk up the cohesion and tight bond in the so-called quarterbacks room. Found Terrelle Pryor’s answer to what things are like among the quarterbacks rather interesting.
“I’ve just got to focus on the job at hand,” Prypr said. “The guys have been really great support to me, and I just have to keep on focusing on the job that I have to do to help the ‘we’ of the offense. I can’t really worry about, or think about whether guys are still dwelling on stuff. I’ve got a job to do, my butt’s on the line, so I’ve got to get the guys going and not really worry about that stuff.”
General manager Reggie McKenzie said he isn’t sure how Matt Flynn took the news of being passed over for the starting job in favor of Pryor late in training camp.
“That decision was told to him by the head coach,” McKenzie said. “I wasn’t in the room to see if he was shocked or see what his mannerisms were like. But he knew that his arm was giving him problems. I know he can’t be shocked too much with that.
“But when (Allen) said we’re going to go with Pryor as our guy, I’m sure anybody worth their salt, they aren’t going to be excited about it. They want to compete and see if they can get that job back. But that’s something that you’d probably have to ask him or Dennis about.”
Well, we’ve tried to get Flynn’s take on how he views the turn of events. For now, Flynn isn’t speaking with the media.

– McKenzie said he is certain that his players will be ready for the bright lights Monday night. You can be certain that the Broncos won’t be overwhelmed by the magnitude of the game.
They opened with a game against the defending Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens, with everyone watching, given theirs was the only game being played.
Next came a game against the New York Giants, with a ton of hype given to the game because of Manning going against his younger brother, Eli, for only the third time as NFL players.
After the Raiders game Monday night, the Broncos host the Philadelphia Eagles, then travel to Dallas and Indianapolis within a three-week span.
“That’s what the NFL is today,” Manning said. “I like to think we have the right kind of guys to understand what a privilege it is to play every single Sunday or Monday in the NFL and that every game is big and the biggest game is the next one but it is special.
“You’re playing the Raiders on Monday night football, it’s a division opponent, it’s the biggest game because it’s this week’s game. It’s going into my 16th season or going into your second season, if you’re not excited about the opportunity to play an NFL game then something’s wrong with you again.”

Steve Corkran

• Raider Riff

1098.

Exactly.

• Just Fire Baby

I’m going to laugh at you haters when Flynn starts holding, Seabass doesn’t miss another kick, and he praises Flynn for saving the season after Seabass kicks a game-winning 52 yard FG week 17 to make the last WC spot.

• The_Judge37

Just Win Baby Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 10:03 am
    It’s been proven that having Flynn on a teams roster makes their QBs play at a much higher level than ever expected.
    —–

LOL, he does elevate their game. It is considered the ultimate insult to have Matt Flynn start over your.

• inonewordraider

I really fuc#ked myself good by starting vick in my fantasy league

is this what’s meant by Eagle 7 owns me?

• Whoknows

Peyton Manning, after living a full life, died. When he got to heaven,
    God was showing him around. They came to a modest little house with a
    faded Bronco flag in the window. “This house is yours for eternity,
    Peyton,” said God. “This is very special; not everyone gets a house up
    here.” Peyton felt special, indeed, and walked up to his house.

On his way up the porch, he noticed another house just around the
    corner. It was a 3-story mansion with a silver and black sidewalk, a
    50-foot tall flagpole with an enormous Raider flag, and in every
    window, a Oakland Raider towel. Peyton looked at God and said
    “God, I’m not trying to be ungrateful, but I have a question. I was an
    all-pro QB, I hold many NFL records, and I even went to the Hall of
    Fame.”

God said “So what’s your point Peyton?”

“Well, why does Al Davis get a better house than me?”

God chuckled, and said: “Peyton, that’s not Al’s house, it’s mine.”

• The_Judge37

I’d be ok with leaving 3 points on the field if on the 1st FG attempt with Flynn holding, Seabass completely ignores the ball and kicks Matt directly in the scrotum.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

1102.Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 10:07 am

—————————
    It’s too bad there will be no archives soon to revisit that statement.

• The_Judge37

1105. We need the new system already, so i can vote that one UP ^^^^

• LA to TheBay

Ha, 1105

• Whoknows

The_Judge37 Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 10:12 am
    1105. We need the new system already, so i can vote that one UP ^^^^
    **************************
    Likewise with 1106. LOL

• papertiger418

ATTN NEW DISQUS USERS!

You can keep your old handle; just register under a new username (GGEden) and change your public handle to your old name (GG) after you set up the new account.

For example, I am papertiger in the new format. No 418 necessary.

• DutchRaider77

Pryor needs a vet mentor QB.

_________________________

Don’t worry RRS, his mentor is just a phone call away. Cork reported that Palmer and Pryor remain “close.”

2nd, you have no idea how Pryor and Flynn interact. Although, you got to admire Pryor, he was the guy telling the fans not to boo Flynn. I will think this would go a long way to Flynn Respecting Pryor.

• The_Judge37

—–

Even so, what if Pryor going to learn from Flynn? How to not reckognize a pass rush? How to start you’re progressions from closest to farthest receiver?

• RaidingTexas

Papertiger418 Says:

For example, I am papertiger in the new format. No 418 necessary.

———————————————

So there were 417 papertigers here before you?

2nd, you have no idea how Pryor and Flynn interact.

***

@Dutch

plenty of proven loser QB’s make great QB Coaches or mentors – like Alex Van Pelt, Ken Dorsey, Chris Weinke, etc – if he’s not on the field? Go Palmer!!

2nd, Pryor is alluded to how they get along.

• guest123

Pryor needs a vet mentor QB. he’s getting nothing from Flynn or McGloin. coach Flip hasn’t developed a QB in college or pros EVER and Greg Olson hasn’t since Drew Brees at Purdue (15 years ago)

***********

so you’re saying he misses Carson Palmer? I agree!

• DutchRaider77

1113.The_Judge37 Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 10:19 am
    —–

___________________________________________

I will drink the Cool-Aid on Flynn, we had some pretty awful Blitz pickups. I hope that Flynn problems are his shoulder and that Reggie made a good decision in signing him. B/c if not, Reggie traded for an awful QB.

• theghostronin79

Raiders Beat ‏@RaidersBeat 22m
    A million $ worth –> @darrenrovell: Colorado appliance store offers free products if Broncos shutout #Raiders on MNF

===============

these CO*K-SUCKERS…..

So they’re already count this game as a victory (I would too if I were them)….Now they’re throwing out prizes for a Fu*kin SHUTOUT?

GOD, I hate Denver….. Just go in there “Last Boy Scout” style

(Not really)….But I hate them

what is Pryor going to learn from Flynn?

***

@Judge

good restaurants near Green Bay & Seattle? how to score a smokin’ hot babe?

nothing football related (obviously)

• R8erEduc8er

=========

This is true! Pryor’s had a tough uphill battle since being kicked out of Ohio State.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Haven’t been on here much lately.
    So the blog is switching platforms?

They could lose a lot of posters along the way and they would be the ones you want to keep.
    The ones you don’t want will still be here.

• DutchRaider77

____________________________________________________

?
    Did Pryor kicked kicked out of Ohio State or suspended by the NCAA? I thought he just got suspended?

• Just Fire Baby

Here in ABQ they did a thing during the Super Bowl where they would sell any TV for $100 if there was a kickoff return for a TD in the Super Bowl.

The owner held good on the offer though.

• R8erEduc8er

===========

Seabass would miss with that much on the line…

Dr Bob infected Dutch – get a medic!!!!

• Just Fire Baby

The university banned him for 5 years from the program and it’s likeness.

I think they can sue him if he wears an Ohio State hat in public during the 5 years.

• Gdog

The_Judge37 Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 9:25 am

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 9:20 am
    That’s something Reggie should’ve considered before he broke up the Pro Bowl trio.

***

Exactly, Judge. everybody clowns me for supporting Marq King (a Raider. Kluwe isn’t) – but nobody seems to recall I wanted to retain Shane Lechler and make sure he retires a Raider. I was not in favor of kicking him to the curb only to hand the job to unproven King or some scrub for vet minimum in FA
    —-

That also goes back to something i’ve been harping on for a while. Reggie Creating more unecessary problems for himself. I also said letting Shane go is more than just losing a punter, it’s effect on Seabass has to be considered especially since FG’s is our bread and butter.

>>>

No kidding. For a HC that refuses to go for it on fourth and short under ANY circumstances, you would think a pro-bowl punter and our pro-bowl kickers holder would be a premium. Perhaps MVP.

This had to be tight-assed Reggie’s decision.

No way does DA let Lechlar go under any circumstances.

• R8erEduc8er

DutchRaider77 Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 10:33 am

____________________________________________________

?

==========

Not quite sure…maybe both. I think the NCAA suspended him but I also read (or heard) that Ohio State banned him for 5 years from having any contact with the University. For some fugging tattoos smh.

I hope Pryor finishes his degree at Michigan, just to mess with BSJ & Raider O’s heads …

• hwnrdr

1129.RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 10:37 am

LMAO!!!

• Macho Man Randy Savage

Just thinking aboutr how wrong Al was the las decade. He invested heavily in CBs… Look at Revnis in Tampa. He is getting paid top QB money, kinda like Peyton Manning or Drew Brees. If the QBs play lights out you go to the playoffs, if Revis plays lights out, you shut down one player of the opposing Offense… Waste of money, Salary Cap structure 101 boys!

• Just Fire Baby

Not for tattoo’s, for lying to the NCAA.

***

@Educ

agreed – small potatoes. An NFL player getting a DUI is more of a “scandal” imo and it happens all the time, players don’t even face a suspension or fine for it – first time violaters anyway

• Just Fire Baby

Aldon Smith arrested for DUI

WTF is wrong with these people???

Not for tattoo’s, for lying to the NCAA.

***

@JFB

I would guess that every NFL player who has ever spoken to Roger Goodell, has lied to him

• Gdog

My PFF stat of the day: Punting.

Lechler: +8.2 (third in the NFL)

King: -1.0 (31st in the NFL)

Way to go Reggie! Keep hoarding those quarters!

• ENGLANDRAIDER

WTF!
    DR Rob if you posted those repeated lists then you are biggest jackazz in the world.

• Just Fire Baby

*****************************************

I bet Pastor Kaufman would look down upon such actions.

Pryor tried to get over on the system, saying he will take his suspension next year if he can play in the bowl game, plays in the bowl game then says scratch that I am going in the sup draft.

I fully support what the NFL did to him and Tressel.

• DutchRaider77

1125.RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 10:34 am
    Dr Bob infected Dutch – get a medic!!!!

__________________________________________

WTF? Have you heard Reggie talk about Flynn? Doesn’t seem like he feels he made a bad decision in trading for him. I support Reggie and drink the Cool-Aid. Of course I think Pryor is the better option.

• R8erEduc8er

Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 10:39 am
    Not for tattoo’s, for lying to the NCAA.

===========

He may have lied, but I thought he was suspended for improper benefits…not for lying. Doesn’t matter either way.

• theghostronin79

R8erEduc8er Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 10:36 am
    DutchRaider77 Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 10:33 am

____________________________________________________

?

==========

============

He was suspended for the 1st 5 games of his Senior Year, at Ohio State…….

He OPTED, to just leave and enter the Supplemental Draft. Coach Tressell was “Kicked Out” for lying. TP didn’t lie about what he did.

Goodell didn’t like the notion that TP was skipping out on his punishment, so he enforced a 5 game suspension of his own. Good call I thought.

• Raider Riff

1134.

JFB, its not NFL players. Its just people being people.

The stat I was told in training was that 80% of drivers on the road between 10pm and 3am are DUI eligible.

And know, the definition for “DUI eligible” is a VERY loose term. Driving tired is legally grounds for a DUI in rare circumstances.

• DJ Johnny

Everyone says Reggie won’t go after “big name” free agents but I think he will. He won’t overpay (unless he absolutely has to) for run of the mill guys but keep in mind what he said about how GB got to, and won the 1st SB with him. Reggie said in GB it wasn’t until they got Favre and then Reggie White that they got to the top. Reggie White was a huge FA signing and Reggie alludes to it as being key to their success.

Reggie will build it the “right way” but he is not averse to the big splash signing if it will help the team. Don’t be surprised to see a couple biggies next season if he can get em to come.

• Just Fire Baby

JFB, its not NFL players. Its just people being people.

***********************************

Well I say NFL players because they have the means to get 3 hookers and a limo home every night.

But they got to put everyone’s life in danger driving drunk.

Losers

• Gdog

Raider Riff Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 10:49 am

1134.

JFB, its not NFL players. Its just people being people.

>>>>

Simple solution… Ban sober drivers from 10 to 3.

grin

• DJ Johnny

ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 10:45 am
    WTF!

I don’t think it was him.

• DJ Johnny

ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    September 20th, 2013 at 10:45 am
    WTF!

I don’t think it was him.

• bcz24

***************
    That’s crap. It would be like you getting suspended at work, quitting your job and finding a new one, and your new boss telling you he is enforcing the suspension from your previous job. Goodell effed up on that one big time.

• Just Fire Baby

TP was suspended by the NFL for lying to the NCAAA.

He wasn’t even kicked out of school, he withdrew. But did face suspension for improper benefits.

• DJ Johnny

I don’t why that double posted. That’s first time that ever happened to me.