Dealing with Aldon Smith, Rolando McClain

Was anyone surprised when the 49ers determined the penalty Aldon Smith received internally was different than the one special teams player DeMarcus Dobbs got for the same infraction a year earlier?

At least that’s how it’s playing out at this point. With Smith nursing a back injury that may or may not have been affected by his 7 a.m. alleged-DUI accident, he could always be declared inactive. Then 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh could continue to be defiant in terms of public perception (he seems to love that stance) while at the same time not taking major heat for playing Smith against the Indianapolis Colts.

Either way, the 49ers initial stance regarding Smith could be something Harbaugh learned from Al Davis while working with the Raiders, but it’s a feeling held by a lot of old-school coaches from high school all the way up to the NFL.

Basically, when there are behavioral issues regarding top players, you don’t punish the rest of the team for the transgressions of an individual. That’s a theory held by coaches from high school through college, although few will ever say it in public. Losing with less than your best is in no way a better option than winning with a player who might be hung over.

I realize that runs contrary to the “make ‘em all suffer and it’ll teach him a lesson” thought process. But there is money at stake, and let’s not pretend that doesn’t count.

When Rolando McClain kept screwing up (he had issues with firearms and law enforcement but no DUI arrests), the Raiders cut him loose. If he had performed anywhere near the level of the No. 8 overall pick in the draft, he’d still be on the team. Behavior and squad car photos would have been overlooked if he had been anywhere near Smith’s level of production.

It’d be great if Harbaugh would come out and admit a double-standard, but that will never happen. Dobbs was a special teams player who committed almost the same transgression as Smith did a year later. Yet he wasn’t allowed to play the next game and Smith, according to Harbaugh, could face the Colts Sunday.

When McClain was involved in a shooting incident while attending a family funeral in 2011 (charges were later dropped due to lack of evidence), Hue Jackson was indignant yet let McClain play in the game, although he didn’t start.

The Raiders season went in to a downward spiral, although it would be a stretch to suggest the McClain decision was a major factor. He simply wasn’t good enough as a Raider to be a major factor in terms of winning or losing.

All it does is illustrate the obvious, both in the NFL as well as most employment situations. Those who produce get ample opportunities to straighten things out in direct proportion to how good they are.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• raiderkoolaid

Denver may win the game because Manning is a heck of a quarterback, but it is not Pryor verses Manning. It is Manning versed The Raiders defense. Pryor verses The Broncos defense.

• ElkGRaider

Raider stadium keeps many of us away. Thanks for the link
    ——-++++

Wtf are you talkin about. Losses keep many away. Only trolls give a rats @ss about where they play

• Raider Riff

I love the coliseum.

I know I’m the minority but I don’t want a new stadium. Lots of good memories in the black hole.

When we were winning, the place was rocking. Just win Baby and the tarps won’t be needed.

• ElkGRaider

Exactly Riff…

Everyone eats outside. As long as there is adequate bathrooms, snacks, and beers to keep the party goin its all good.

Win and the place sells out

• Breaking_Black

Alex7 Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 12:38 pm
    Yikes Duck.

Raider stadium keeps many of us away. Thanks for the link.
    —–
    It doesn’t keep me away. As long as there isn’t sewage in the beer then I’m gonna have a good time. But it is an absolute dump. That’s why I spout off all the time about moving to LA.
    I just feel like a team with a history and worldwide fanbase like The Raiders deserve an updated stadium. The dirt just looks stupid to me and represents how the franchise has fallen behind in the past decade.

• Foghorn Leghorn

alex7 Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Yikes Duck.

Raider stadium keeps many of us away. Thanks for the link.
    ============
    You never, I say you never even go to the games, boy.

• Foghorn Leghorn

ElkGRaider Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Exactly Riff…

Win and the place sells out
    ===============
    Not true. 02 game didn’t even sell out that decided the division.

• ElkGRaider

Not true. 02 game didn’t even sell out that decided the division
    —————

You mean back when there was that crazy surcharge and Mt Davis seats were $75?

If they won now, it would sellout

• Foghorn Leghorn

0ak r8rs Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Plunketthead Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 12:14 pm
    0ak r8rs Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 12:03 pm
    How can anyone not like the ability to post pics? That part of what is so antiquated around here. There’s plenty of times I would have like to have added a pick. I think the avatar thing is cool (wait till you see mine! Haha), but the ability to post pics is awesome. How could it possibly be bad?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I liked the chatroom like rat-a-tat-tat-tatt give and take, scroll right over what I don’t like and the “friendships” over the years. This place even with the whack jobs was a great place to discuss raiders.

I will pass on the softball sized avatars and lame voting. This place goes way too fast for that stuff

@@@@@@@@@

I get that. I think I’ll miss this format too. But the idea of pictures is a plus for me.

It’s gonna be awkward during games, that’s for sure.
    =========
    want to post pics? Myspace, I say Myspace boy. Not on a football blog.

• Raiders for life

(11/11) * (4 * 60) = E
    (300 + 120) = P
    (Peyton with face mask stuck in ground) * 6 = L

(E + P + L) = W

The formula for beating the donks.

• 0ak r8rs

Foghorn Leghorn Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 1:25 pm
    ElkGRaider Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Exactly Riff…

Win and the place sells out
    ===============
    Not true. 02 game didn’t even sell out that decided the division.

@@@@@@@@@

Not sure who the hell you are. But if you’re gonna make smart @ss comments about an obscure game from 11 years ago, the least you could do is tell the truth:

Only the average home crowds of 62,130 in 1999, when every Raiders home game was blacked out, and 60,636 in the Super Bowl season of 2002, when the Raiders sold out the final five home games, have been higher.

• 0ak r8rs

Foghorn Leghorn Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 1:40 pm
    0ak r8rs Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Plunketthead Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 12:14 pm
    0ak r8rs Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 12:03 pm
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

@@@@@@@@@

It’s gonna be awkward during games, that’s for sure.
    =========
    want to post pics? Myspace, I say Myspace boy. Not on a football blog.

@@@@@@@@@

My space has been dead for a decade. Catch up to the 21st century when you have a chance.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

almost beer time!

• the insidious dr robert

just looked at the a’s page.

the post has been up since early this morning.

they are about to clinch.

and there are 9 comments.

all from us.

• SnBG

Good afternoon nation. I see we are doing pretty good statistically with our O and D. Didn’t somebody argue with me about the D not improving from 2011 to 2012. They said all I care about is how many points the D allows. Well we are somewhere around 3rd in the league right now in that category.

• 0ak r8rs

The Insidious Dr Robert Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 1:56 pm
    just looked at the a’s page.

the post has been up since early this morning.

they are about to clinch.

and there are 9 comments.

all from us.

@@@@@@@@@

Yea. And some guys wanna know why I don’t give a shlt about the A’s just because I’m a Raider fan. Like one has anything to do w the other.

• SnBG

Baseball is a bore. A can go and get a new stadium some where else. I’m tired of sharing the field with them.

• the insidious dr robert

oak–i’m a reds fan.

i always kinda liked the a’s when i was a kid in indiana.

loved the uniforms. the ’70′s a’s and then the billy martin a’s.

and charles finley had a farm about 30 minutes from my house with a barn that had the a’s logo on the roof.

i think he was from there.

• the insidious dr robert

new post

• SnBG

What about our guy Houston. Who says he can’t play at end.
    Through two weeks, Houston is grading at +6.0 overall (seventh among 4-3 DEs) with a pass rush grade of +4.1. His 17.8 Pass Rush Productivity ranks second at the position behind only Robert Quinn of the Rams.
    So far in the two games this season Houston has eight tackles, one sack and a pair of quarterback hurries. Those numbers only tell part of the story, however. Teammate Christo Bilukidi recorded his first career sack last week against Jacksonville partially because Houston chased Jaguars quarterback Chad Henne into his arms.

• SnBG

I want to see the Raiders logo at the center of the field. Not that GD infield.

• http://raiders.com/ Crawfish Joe