Dealing with Aldon Smith, Rolando McClain

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, September 20th, 2013 at 11:27 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Was anyone surprised when the 49ers determined the penalty Aldon Smith received internally was different than the one special teams player DeMarcus Dobbs got for the same infraction a year earlier?

At least that’s how it’s playing out at this point. With Smith nursing a back injury that may or may not have been affected by his 7 a.m. alleged-DUI accident, he could always be declared inactive. Then 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh could continue to be defiant in terms of public perception (he seems to love that stance) while at the same time not taking major heat for playing Smith against the Indianapolis Colts.

Either way, the 49ers initial stance regarding Smith could be something Harbaugh learned from Al Davis while working with the Raiders, but it’s a feeling held by a lot of old-school coaches from high school all the way up to the NFL.

Basically, when there are behavioral issues regarding top players, you don’t punish the rest of the team for the transgressions of an individual. That’s a theory held by coaches from high school through college, although few will ever say it in public. Losing with less than your best is in no way a better option than winning with a player who might be hung over.

I realize that runs contrary to the “make ‘em all suffer and it’ll teach him a lesson” thought process. But there is money at stake, and let’s not pretend that doesn’t count.

When Rolando McClain kept screwing up (he had issues with firearms and law enforcement but no DUI arrests), the Raiders cut him loose. If he had performed anywhere near the level of the No. 8 overall pick in the draft, he’d still be on the team. Behavior and squad car photos would have been overlooked if he had been anywhere near Smith’s level of production.

It’d be great if Harbaugh would come out and admit a double-standard, but that will never happen. Dobbs was a special teams player who committed almost the same transgression as Smith did a year later. Yet he wasn’t allowed to play the next game and Smith, according to Harbaugh, could face the Colts Sunday.

When McClain was involved in a shooting incident while attending a family funeral in 2011 (charges were later dropped due to lack of evidence), Hue Jackson was indignant yet let McClain play in the game, although he didn’t start.

The Raiders season went in to a downward spiral, although it would be a stretch to suggest the McClain decision was a major factor. He simply wasn’t good enough as a Raider to be a major factor in terms of winning or losing.

All it does is illustrate the obvious, both in the NFL as well as most employment situations. Those who produce get ample opportunities to straighten things out in direct proportion to how good they are.

• Plunketthead
  • Plunketthead

There is the all new Raider blog where anything goes.

And here is more new Raider news.

Posting like this because wordpress filters are blocking the links

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“I love how MB tries to distinguish himself from the trolls. He’s spent the last 2 months giving these bizarre, latent homosexual rants about Kluwe. And if it’s not that, it’s politics.”

The guy tries way too hard every day to distance himself from what he is…..a self loathing troll.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“I think you still have to blitz Manning some… Just gotta pick the right time and place..the threat of the Blitz should be there…”

I agree with you here its like throwing the ball deep every once and a while to keep 8 out of the box for your running game.

• DJ Johnny

Just don’t embarrass us like last year at Denver.

You guys realize how HUGE this would be to win this game?

We would be the talk of the league.

For my own mental health, I can’t allow myself to start thinking we’re gonna win.

It would be a monumental win of epic proportions.

• Raider Riff

We’ve beaten better Denver teams with worse Raider teams in the past.

Its not that far fetched.

Don’t get fooled by the spread. They set the line and its movements based on the betting public (which the public is notoriously dumb). The line doesn’t reflect any relevant prediction of the outcome. Its just a tool to get even money on both sides.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

Mitch Leidner (QB Minn) the wave of the future just rushed for 3 TD’s

• Raider Riff

I’m so glad we have Pryor in there. This has all the makings of a huge game for DMC.

Stay healthy TP. Cause if not, we are Flynnished.

• http://raiderettes.com MR..realest of the real, stickiest of the icky

Riff,

remind me: does your blog have an ignore feature and it’s avatar free??

if so – I may just re-join. still have the info

Riff,

please be real – people would flock to your blog if it featured somebody of my intellect :P

wouldn’t you agree?

I bet there hasn’t been one mention of JLH or Capt Kirk in your blog’s existence!!

• http://raiderettes.com MR..realest of the real, stickiest of the icky

Go to Raider Outlaws message board. lol. Some idiot named “Bump” runs that website. And if you hurt his little feelings, he’ll jack your profile and post comments under your screenname.

MR = bump?

• DJ Johnny

Raider Riff Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 11:26 am

Stay healthy TP. Cause if not, we are Flynnished.

“Flynnished”? Nicely done. Ha. That ranks up there with referring to the Flynn fans as “Flynncompoops”.

Funny.

• Raider Riff

Where can we watch the TP piece from NFL network yesterday?

@Riff

I doubt anybody at your blog has given an honest assessment of Jacoby Ford or Menelik Watson..

former Raiders Palmer & Kluwe either – although i’m surprised Raider Nation claims either of them

#disgrace #embarassment

• papertiger418

Whatever, Jerry! The guy was being paid like a prince but played like a bum and should have been treated as such. Never left anything on the field.

Hue should have green-beanied RoMac as soon as he got out of jail!

• Raider Riff

Rrs

I’ll email u. Gotta run. No time right now.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“We know that there’s a lot of things MB does that he tries to distance himself from, don’t we?”

Its probably a very difficult life being in the closet and Republican.

Hue Jackson = Chuck Bresnahan = Rolando McClain

clown brigade

@silver

I see you’ve been blogging it up in the new format

you likes?

• slvrnblk07

Morning Nation,

I’m trying to listen to some sports talk this morning but down here in LA, the locals are garbage. So I scan my satelite radio and come across Mad Dog Radio, where this jackass Dan Wetzel (Boston homer) is on. This idiot is talking with a caller about how Oakland fans are the worst, and they don’t deserve a championship. How the A’s would be lucky to win a game against the Red Sox in playoffs, and Raider fans just a bunch of dopes with their black hole. The caller even had the nerve to call Raider fans the least knowledgeable of all fans. I wanted to grab both these retards right thru the damn radio. Needless to say I changed the channel. Guess you gotta ignore stupidity but I just don’t get the hate. Smh

gosh Peyton Hillis has been signed and released like 4 times since that big season with Cleveland a few years back..

he took a bigger freefall than DMo17 imo

***

#222

I could grab 5 bloggers from here and prove him correct

[Mistic, Dr Bob, MR, SeyGlenn & Alex7]

thank heavens they don’t speak for all of us, right?

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

The Wave Of The Future!!!!!

Mitch Leidner 4 rushing TD’s

• slvrnblk07

Rockstar,

You have a point there.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“@silver

I see you’ve been blogging it up in the new format

you likes?”

If it really works in that one cannot hijack monikers and post under pseudo names that might be cool and all but….its clunky because it makes the pictures or attachments way to big so sometimes when you scroll up and down it wont go up.

I like how you can respond to a post and I like the voting up or down but again the page is not loading right sometimes and its frustrating.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Guess you gotta ignore stupidity but I just don’t get the hate. Smh”

Us older guys get it because many years ago AL used to lay wood to these teams coaches and owners and some of them are still stinging from it.

@silver

I don’t like avatars or the ability to post pics either

people will take advantage of those features and use them in the wrong way..

cant ignore peeps.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“some of them are still stinging from it.”

Adam Schefter the Bronco’s fan..Before Elway won those 2 Super Bowls in the late 90′s they had lost 4 Super Bowls and we had our three shiny trophies to throw in their face all those years.

• 0ak r8rs

How can anyone not like the ability to post pics? That part of what is so antiquated around here. There’s plenty of times I would have like to have added a pick. I think the avatar thing is cool (wait till you see mine! Haha), but the ability to post pics is awesome. How could it possibly be bad?

• Plunketthead

Silverandblack666 Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 11:58 am
    “Guess you gotta ignore stupidity but I just don’t get the hate. Smh”

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LOL good point plus some folks still have a chapped butt from Al’s LA love affair

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

@RR

I kept telling people its not going to solve every problem in fact there will be those who will exploit what they can for their own agenda and it will have its own unique set of problems.

This is the internet people have facebooks for their cats and dogs.\

• 0ak r8rs

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 11:37 am
    @Riff

#disgrace #embarassment

@@@@@@@@

There’s no way you could give an objective analysis about any of those guys. Honest from your perspective? Sure. Objective? Nope.

Not trying to start shlt, but you obviously have some predisposed opinions about several of those guys, particularly Watson and Kluwe.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“the ability to post pics is awesome. How could it possibly be bad?”

Load time for the site is going to be so long now imagine you have a smart phone and want to read the blog….LOL fat chance on a 1,000 comment post with 985 pictures it has to load!

• JONTRAIN

Raider Riff Says: September 21st, 2013 at 11:36 amWhere can we watch the TP piece from NFL network yesterday?

#####

Download the NFL Mobile app to ur phone. Its free and has lots of videos including all the playbook segments

• 0ak r8rs

Eh. I guess we will find out. I have no problem loading picks on the iPhone. Especially on wifi. Pretty sure it automatically reduces the weight of this pics to a mobile format. PC would be the biggest issue probably. But I only use my phone.

• Plunketthead

0ak r8rs Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 12:03 pm
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I liked the chatroom like rat-a-tat-tat-tatt give and take, scroll right over what I don’t like and the “friendships” over the years. This place even with the whack jobs was a great place to discuss raiders.

I will pass on the softball sized avatars and lame voting. This place goes way too fast for that stuff

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666
  • Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Plunketthead Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 7:14 am

Purv, have you been up all night?
    =============================================

’till whenever. Just warming up now.
    The roosters and hens that nighted in the pollo lounge didn’t appreciate losing half a day.

• papertiger418

I’m trying to stamp out any residual hope regarding the Broncos game.

Too many times, I’ve been burned by thinking that the team somehow had turned the corner and was at the point where it could pull off a miracle victory.

I’m with DJohnny; if we stay competitive I will be pleased. Moral victories are acceptable this week!

• Plunketthead

Leave em at home next time.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Plunketthead Says:

===============================================

Agree 100%. Just occured to me, but at any time one of us could’ve written a fanpost at SandBPride and we could’ve posted pics and gifs to our hearts content.
    This format will be missed.

• 0ak r8rs

Silverandblack666 Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 12:18 pm
    Oak post here lets see your avatar:

@@@@@@@@

Done.

• 0ak r8rs

Plunketthead Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 12:14 pm
    0ak r8rs Says:
    September 21st, 2013 at 12:03 pm
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

@@@@@@@@@

I get that. I think I’ll miss this format too. But the idea of pictures is a plus for me.

It’s gonna be awkward during games, that’s for sure.

• papertiger418

I love how Cork quoted Taiwan Jones on “The Raider Way” in the previous post and today he’s in the headlines for owning some pits that mauled an old chihuahua in Brentwood!

#CorkCurse

• 0ak r8rs

Tim Brown doing ND TV intro.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Raw sewage is currently flooding the visitor’s dugout at O.com, and is also coming out some faucets.

WE NEED A NEW STADIUM.

• alex7

Pryor vs Manning will look like last year’s Joe Webb vs Aaron Rodgers playoff game or Thursdays Vick vs Alex Smith.

Steady QBs who get the ball to their WRs and don’t turn it over win.

Vs athlete who can’t pass = blowout

• alex7

Yikes Duck.

Raider stadium keeps many of us away. Thanks for the link.