2,615

Notes, quotes and stats from Raiders-Chiefs game

KANSAS CITY – The Raiders offensive line had its hands full against the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday even in the best of circumstances.
Imagine the task when the offensive line was forced to play with career right guard Mike Brisiel at center and rookies Lamar Mady and Matt McCants summoned for duty in the middle of the game.
“It’s something we’ve been battling, but it’s the name of the game,” Brisiel said. “You’ve got to keep moving on. You’ve got to find a way. We can’t use that as an excuse. We’ve got to keep moving forward somehow.”
The Raiders entered Sunday’s game with a makeshift offensive line that was minus two starters and one starter playing out of position.
Things got worse in the second quarter when backup center Andre Gurode, who was starting in place of injured regular Stefen Wisniewski, left the game with a knee injury.
That necessitated Brisiel sliding over to center, a position he last played in 2007 when he was with NFL Europe.
Matters got almost comical when right offensive tackle Tony Pashos left the game at halftime with a groin injury.
Gurode and Pashos were playing to being with only because of injuries to Wisniewski and regular left tackle Jared Veldheer.
The Chiefs showed that they could get to quarterback Terrelle Pryor from the outset. However, it’s worth noting that seven of their 10 sacks came after Gurode and Pashos were gone.
“As good as they are on defense, you want to have all of your weapons, all of your guys up front to protect,” Raiders coach Dennis Allen said. “But that’s the NFL, and we have to be able to go out and function and play. We weren’t able to do that (Sunday).”
By halftime, the Raiders had no offensive linemen playing the position they played last season or were projected to play this season.

– Raiders rookie cornerback D.J. Hayden once again turned in a feast-or-famine performance that showed he still is adjusting to life in the NFL.
On a second-quarter drive, Hayden got beat for 17 yards on a pass to receiver Dwayne Bowe and committed a pass interference penalty on a third-and-10 play.
The latter play gave the Chiefs 17 yards and a first down at the Raiders 7-yard line. The Chiefs scored a game-tying touchdown on the next play.
“I didn’t get my head around,” Hayden said in explaining the penalty. “All I got to do is get my head around and I’ll be alright.”
Hayden atoned for his spotty play by forcing a fumble on a short pass to receiver Donnie Avery. Fellow cornerback Charles Woodson recovered the loose ball.
“I don’t care if it’s D.J. or whoever out there, you’re going to get some pass interference calls,” Woodson said of Hayden’s performance, “but you can’t quit playing. We know he’s not going to quit playing. He came up with a huge play when they were driving down.”

– It’s reached the point where the Raiders can say they have Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles’ number.
Sure, Charles scored two touchdowns Sunday, but that owed more to favorable field position than what Charles did.
Charles finished with 78 yards on 22 carries for a 3.5-yard average. He averaged 4.3 in the Chiefs first five games.
Last season, Charles rushed for 1,495 yards and averaged 5.5 yards in 14 games against teams other than the Raiders. He totaled 14 yards on 14 carries in two games against the Raiders.

– Running backs Darren McFadden and Rashad Jennings played Sunday despite lingering hamstring injuries. They combined for 64 yards on 20 carries and four receptions for 40 yards.

– Sebastian Janikowski missed short on a 51-yard field-goal attempt early in the second quarter. That marked his fourth miss this season, or one more than he missed all last season.

– The Chiefs padded their league-leading sack total (31) with 10 takedowns of Pryor. The Raiders fared pretty well in that category, as well, as they sacked Alex Smith three times and improved their season total to 16

– Wide receiver Andre Holmes was active for a regular-season game for the first time since he returned from a four-game suspension. He had one pass directed his way.
The Raiders waited a week before they activated Holmes to their 53-man roster upon his return from the suspension for violating the league’s policy on performance-enhancing drugs.
Coincidentally, second-year receiver Juron Criner was deactivated for the sixth straight game.

– The Raiders averaged 8.8 penalties for 67.2 yards their first five games. They got flagged 11 times for 68 yards against the Chiefs.

Steve Corkran

when Pittsburg wins in a landslide from Pryors inept play

• the angry dr robert

I have to lay off the bottle. Starting to sound like priest.

the famous dr robert Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 4:09 pm

leaving for Chicago tomorrow. i’m looking forward to being home.

…….

…….

the famous dr robert Says:

June 14th, 2013 at 6:26 pm

i’ve got some free time. chicago isn’t my home.

……..

• Purvisman/Eternal Optimist

You’ve mentioned her a couple of times now. Is she your football mentor?

• rifflicks

she could be your mentor for a price

• Raiders for Life

Too late, I was hoping to get Pryor out that disaster and let McGloin finish the game. It wouldn’t have mattered though. He would have gotten killed behind that O-line.

I bet McGoin knows a lot more of the Playbook

• the angry dr robert

There are a couple things going on.

1) my evaluation that Pryor was not a qb capable of being good in the nfl and that Flynn was a 90+ rated qb who was our best option. That’s my eval that would be similar to my other evals. Just honest, based on what I believe.

2) my needling of the hyena crazies. I have let the non-crazies know what I’m doing several times and have encouraged them to ignore my more antagonistic posts.

• the angry dr robert

hahaha Sometimes I say the stupidest things.

· the famous dr robert Says:

August 6th, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I guarantee you with Flynn starting we will be ahead of KC and SD, and give Denver a run.

Denver 12-4

Oakland 7-9

Kansas City 6-10

San Diego 5-11

• Raidersfan727

AFC west is a damn good conference this year.

Also didnt think that this was Luck’s first MNF game

• Raiders for Life

So you admit that you’re a dumb fk?

• the angry dr robert

Come with me and share the warmth.

• Raiders for Life

Nobody knows, well except for you of course.

really???
    the chefs haven’t played anybody….their opponents win/loss record is 9-22

• the angry dr robert

Ur mixing ur posts up with mine. I never said that. I knew for certain that Denver would be the crime of the division.

• Gdog

So you can honestly say you watched the Den and SD game and STILL believe he is incapable of improvement and becoming an elite QB?

You sir, are either lying or an imbecile… especially as a RAIDER FAN.

I don’t think you are an imbecile…

take Pryor with you

• Miamiraider78

Learning a play book that was intended for Flynn, another offensive coordinator to learn it from, for the 3rd year in a row, oline decimated by injuries, below average wr’s, te’s and running game, yet lets pin the loss on T.P. I’m not excusing him from the terrible passes that led to the ints or not getting in and out of the huddle in time but the kid is learning. If he doesn’t then we draft a QB which doesnt guarantee anything as well.

• rifflicks

a reading comprehension class could help you….you’re the Dumb fk

• the angry dr robert

Dummy. South bend is my home. Saying I’m leaving for Chicago and that I’m looking forward to being home isnt saying Chicago is my home. It’s saying I’m flying to Chicago. Which is what u do when u wanna see ur Chicago friends before driving to south bend with them.

But I love that u have devoted ur life to me. Proof if my importance.

• rifflicks

how do you explain his inability to read a defense???
    He’s a runner trying to be a QB…he played with the same ineptitude at OSU

• Raiders for Life

How much for your Niece?

• Papertiger

Don’t bother, man; the trolls have this place leased through the bye week. Prepare for a few replies along the lines of, “How much time did Flynn get to learn the offense?” or “Josh Freeman would’ve gotten half as many sacks this game.”

• the angry dr robert

I thought he improved beyond anyone’s expectations. And that he might actually pull off the miracle if becoming a decent and possibly even good qb.

Elite? Preposterous.

• Miamiraider78

Lack of actual games under his belt? Not an expert but I imagine this could be it. Time will tell and if he doesn’t improve then we’ll have to move on. Pretty simple concept.

• the angry dr robert

oh man, i forgot about this.
    looks like I owe missdick and priest an apology.
    I couldn’t have been more wrong, could I?
    I hate it when I come across looking stupid.
    again.

· the famous dr robert Says:

August 22nd, 2013 at 1:16 pm

KoolKell Says:

August 22nd, 2013 at 1:00 pm

24 Says:

August 22nd, 2013 at 12:58 pm

KoolKell – I’m not treating you like crap…there’s no reason to treat me like
    crap.

————————

You just said Pryors fans are haters.

I can only imagine you mean me, Mistic and Priest. Stereotyping BS and it’s
    offensive.

**********

Missdick hates Flynn. Calls him phlegm.

Priest hates Flynn. Said he was terrible.

U say mostly negative things about Flynn.

Trying deny any of this cuz it’s
    in the archives?

• LB32

Out of all of these HOF QBs Montana, Marino, Young Aikman and Moon only Marino had a winning rec his first season starting, hum.

• rifflicks

what do you expect when you invest everything in a loser

none of them had 3 seasons to prepare either

• Raidersfan727

are the chargers good?

• Miamiraider78

Lmao “leased through the bye week” I just can’t stand the repetitive comments.

• rifflicks

feeling a little butt hurt????

• LB32

That’s like saying that after 4 years of college you’re totally prepared to be a CEO.

• Gdog

So a QB that went from nearly worthless to above average in 4 months is incapable of making one more step? Even if it takes a year or two??

THAT is preposterous. Your OCD is slipping again…

• rifflicks

or the repetitive stupidity in your posts that deserve the same answers

• Raiders for Life

Riff, tell me about Pryors 1st year. His 2nd year he sat behind palmer and knapps boy leinert. Pryor is in his 3rd year. He hasn’t had 3 seasons to prepare.

• rifflicks

can’t argue with logic like that

• the angry dr robert

Can’t make silk out of a sow’s ear.

• rifflicks

yes indeed.. 3 years to learn to manage a huddle…..3 years to read a time clock….3 years of classrooms to learn to read defenses

• R8derdiehard

This riff licks guy is contradicting himself I think he says your an idiot if you blame Pryor for the loss but then Pryor is an idiot running back who hasn’t done shyte and can’t be a qb. I’m confused

• the angry dr robert

The super gay impostor, Danny the Douche (c), is here.

Low self esteem. Wants to get attention soooooo bad.

But doesn’t feel he can get it as himself.

He doesn’t feel adequate as his own identity.

Just click the handle if u see a post by me. If its under 1500 posts, it’s not me.

• rifflicks

I think you need a reading comprehension class or get an adult to explain what you’re reading

• Raiders for Life

You’re wrong, Pryor is midway through his 3rd season. Yes, he’s has two years to prepare. Now he is the starter, like it or not.

• Gdog

LOL!! Young sat the bench six years, Montana two. Moon came the CFL… Were you born yet?

• Miamiraider78

I’m sure that struck a nerve but please remind everyone how your 11 year old niece knows more about football than you.

older than you

• R8derdiehard

I don’t remember this MANY idiots on the old blog can the og’s help me out am I wrong

• rifflicks

only temporary….like it or not

• rifflicks

you always seem to be wrong

• Morilla_00