The rookie finally got him.
It took until Day 11 of camp, but Karl Joseph recorded his first interception in team drills when he leaped high in the air to pick off Derek Carr in the end zone.
“Finally,” Carr joked. “Great player. Karl is a great player. I’m excited that he’s on our team and healthy. He looks great. He’s going to be a great player.”
The interception came during red zone work and it was such an athletic play that Carr didn’t have a ton of issues with it, even if he does loathe turning over the ball.
“He jumps five feet off the ground and snags it 10 feet off the air,” Carr said. “I’m good with that, because I know that I don’t have to throw against him.”
* Carr knows he won’t play a ton in Friday’s game, but he’s still approaching it the same as any other contest.
“Just play my heart out,” Carr said. “That’s every time you play a preseason, regular season, playoffs, Super Bowl, whatever. Hopefully we’ll get there. no matter what it is, I’m going to play my heart out. Whether it’s one play or 90 plays, anytime you put an NFL jersey on, put helmet on, it’s time to go.”
* Running back Jalen Richard didn’t practice Wednesday for undisclosed reasons. The undrafted free agent out of Southern Miss has had a solid camp and is listed as the No. 4 running back and No. 3 kick returner on the depth chart and figures to be one of the players to watch during the exhibition season.
* Linebacker Neiron Ball was back at practice after missing Tuesday’s session, a non-padded practice ahead of Friday’s exhibition opener. Safety Jimmy Hall missed his fourth straight day.
* Cooper showed off his tremendous footwork when he ran a hitch route that sent cornerback TJ Carrie to the ground as he made the catch. Crabtree also had a tremendous grab when he jumped over the coverage of Dexter McDonald to haul in a pass. Seth Roberts added to the day of highlights for receivers when he made a leaping catch over Kenneth Durden.
* Carrie added a highlight of his own when came off the edge to block a Giorgio Tavecchio field goal attempt that he picked up and took to the house.