297

Raiders QB Derek Carr graduates to throwing short passes during drills at organized team activity

ALAMEDA _ It was a mere five-yard flare pattern to a running back _ and a wobbly one at that _ but it was the closest thing to a forward pass seen from Raiders quarterback Derek Carr in three weeks.

Carr was mostly a spectator during Tuesday’s organized team activity apart from a few short throws during drills as he recovers from a reported injury to the ring finger on his throwing hand.

The Raiders, citing team policy, have kept the details of Carr’s condition to themselves and coach Jack Del Rio remained circumspect following practice.

There has been no information regarding the injury nor an update on when Carr might be full-go other than he’s expected to be ready for training camp in late July. Whether Carr will do much throwing at the mandatory minicamp June 9-11 remains to be seen.

“We’ll do what we can, when we can, and he’s doing well right now,” Del Rio said.

Carr has been unable to work with receivers either during practice or on his own, but left tackle Donald Penn wasn’t worried that it will put him behind in terms of leading a new offense.

“I have no concern at all,” Penn said. “Derek knows this offense almost as good as the offensive coordinator. Derek is still the first person here in the morning. He has a good grasp of the offense. He needs to do what he’s doing _ take his time. You don’t win games right now. He’ll be ready when he’s ready. I tell him that all the time. There’s no rush.”

Carr did no throwing during the practice session open to the media three weeks ago and last week had graduating to taking snaps during drills and handing the ball off. He has not thrown in a live team session.

Share
470

NFL exec Eric Grubman sounds as if he’s skeptical of Oakland’s ability to put offer on table to keep Raiders

Eric Grubman, the NFL executive vice president who oversees league affairs with regard to franchise retention and the Los Angeles opportunity, is still waiting for the city of Oakland and Alameda County to step up to the plate with an offer to keep the franchise.

“I have been to Oakland many times over the last four or five years,” Grubman said Wednesday at the NFL owners spring meeting at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel. “Each time I’ve gone there I’ve heard that the promise is right around the corner of a master development of that parcel that will include substantial proceeds from a developer, a third party, fourth party or multiple-party developers.

“I’ve heard that for three or four years and it hasn’t been produced and we have now lost all that time, the time has shrunk. No results have been produced. That, to me is going backward, because the time has shrunk but the probability hasn’t gone up.”

Raiders owner Mark Davis said Tuesday he has yet to see a plan from Floyd Kephart, who is attempting to assemble a plan to keep the Raiders in a facility that includes retail an housing on the current Coliseum site.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is scheduled to speak with the media Wednesday afternoon at the close of the league meeting.

Share
806

UPDATED: Derek Carr doesn’t participate at first Raiders OTA

Raiders quarterback Derek Carr sat out Tuesday’s first organized team activity with an injury that ESPN reports may require surgery, but should have him back by training camp in July.

The second-year quarterback was on the field in a jersey and baseball cap, but didn’t participate and coach Jack Del Rio declined to disclose what kept Carr out of action.

“He wasn’t able to practice today,” Del Rio said. “I know the quarterback generates more interest than others, but he’s not the only guy we held out. Everybody’s here, working hard, doing what they can. Continue Reading

Share
216

Former 49ers exec Carmen Policy, who tried to keep Raiders in L.A. 20 years ago, working to send them back

SAN FRANCISCO _ Twenty years after attempting to broker a deal that would keep the Raiders in Southern California, Carmen Policy is working for a group intent on sending them back.

Policy, along with Carolina owner Jerry Richardson and Denver owner Pat Bowlen, were head of a committee which proposed the Raiders remain in Los Angeles and play in a new stadium at Hollywood Park.

Instead, the Raiders announced they were going back to Oakland.

“It was a huge surprise,” Policy told reporters in front of the Ritz-Carlton Hotel, site of the NFL owners spring meeting. “They pulled out the morning of the press conference.

Policy will push a proposal on behalf of Carson Holdings, LLC, for a stadium in Carson which would house both the Chargers and Raiders. He said he had meetings scheduled with Raiders owner Mark Davis and Chargers executives Tuesday.

On Wednesday morning, there will be a presentation on how the two organizations, as well as the St. Louis Rams, are doing in their home markets with respect to getting a new stadium.

Policy said the Raiders and Chargers “have been going along a parallel path for while going to be a decision, and there’s going to be a decision much sooner rather than later as to the L.A. market . . .if something cannot be done in their home markets, they are not going to be left standing out there in the cold as the L.A situation unfolds.”

About 20 yards from where Policy was standing, a group of Raider fans holding “Stay in Oakland” signs and in full regalia, were hoping to catch a glimpse of Davis entering the hotel.

Asked if the dream of Raider fans to keep the team in Oakland is dead, Policy said, “I have no idea. And I’m really not getting involved in that. You have to ask the Raiders their opinion of their local market just as you’d have to as the San Diego Chargers what they think is happening in their local market.”

As was the case 20 years ago, Policy’s goals run counter to the home fan base.

“My job is to present Carson as the best possible alternative, so I would say that we are not successful if the NFL decides not to go to Carson,” Policy said.

Share