Since the draft minutes from the 2010 Measure C Bond Oversight Committee meeting haven’t been posted on the district’s website, I’m posting them below. The committee expects to approve the minutes at its meeting at 7 p.m. Thursday in the district office.
Minutes from the August special bond committee meeting do not appear on the agenda.
“2010 Measure C Oversight Committee
Members Present: Jay Bedecarre, John Ferrante, Faye Mettler, Jenny Reik, Bonnie McDonald, Susan Noack, Marc Willis, Larry Wirick, John Parker, Tina Seagrove, Connie Schulte, Alicia Minyen, John Burke
Members Absent: Mark Weinmann(excused), Rick Callaway (unexcused)
Board Representative: Cheryl Hansen
Staff: Pete Pedersen, Tim Cody, Mitchell Stark, Linda Carter, Richard Jackson, Marc Fabie, Brad Hunter
John Ferrante called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM
There was no public comment.
Copies of the March 17, 2011 meeting minutes were distributed. Susan Noack made a motion to approve the minutes and Faye Mettler seconded. The motion passed unanimously.
Susan Noack made a request that the draft of the minutes be sent out to all committee members within a few days after the meeting and then again right before the next meeting. It was agreed that that would be the process.
Pete told the committee that two people have applied to be on the Oversight Committee. The Committee currently has the number of people from the required community groups per Prop. 39 verbiage. Susan Noack said she supported adding members due to the fact that we often have committee members absent. The rest of the committee agreed. Pete will forward the applications to John Ferrante.
Pete introduced the two new members of the Measure C staff: Richard Jackson, Construction Manager II, and Marc Fabie, Logistics/Project Coordinator.
John Parker asked how much staff Measure C currently has. Pete said that he would like to address that later in the meeting and John agreed.
Measure C Team Headquarters relocation: Tim Cody showed a map of Holbrook Elementary which will serve as a base/headquarters for the the Measure C staff, along with the MDUSD SunPower project team and various consutants, architects, etc. He showed the
committee the rooms that would used. Tim emphasized that Measure C has attempted to be sensitive to the staff at Holbrook as they pack and move. Pete reiterated that the Measure C team has not been at the site discussing or encouraging the move with the staff. The team hopes to be able to move before the end of June. John Parker wanted to know what was going to be stored in the MU room. Pete stated that at this time there was only lighting slated to be stored in the
MU and that there would be no machinery or any big trucks making deliveries that would impactthe neighborhood. Cheryl Hansen asked how the school was informed that Measure C would be moving to Holbrook; that they didn’t seem to know. Pete replied that he believed that the school closure committee, M & O or warehouse was responsible for communicating with the Holbrook Administration and staff. John Parker asked if Holbrook was more desirable than Glenbrook. Pete stated that there are other possible plans for Glenbrook.
Annual Performance Audit: Bryan Richards, MDUSD CFO, suggested we hire Christy White as our auditor. Pete provided the committee with a copy of the potential agreement with Christy White. John Parker and Jenny Reik questioned why we would go all the way to San Diego for an auditor and Marc Willis wondered what experience she had; should we do an RFP instead? Alicia Minyen was concerned that if the scope of the audit changed how would that impact the cost over the three year period of the contract. And who determines the scope? Pete said the scope was determined by recommendation from the CFO. Susan Noack “googled” and discovered that Christy White is the auditor for the Contra Costa County Office of Education. After further discussion it was decided that Pete would ask Bryan for more information about Christy White and that Cheryl Hansen would inquire from her fiscal department at the CCCOE what their experience had been with her firm and the responses will be forwarded to the committee members. A motion was made by Jay Bedecarre to approve the Christy White contract pending possible negative information. Larry Wirick seconded the motion. The motion
passed with one nay vote. (Alicia Minyen).
Solar Project-status report: Mitchell Stark stated that there are currently 16 sites that were approved by DSA and are under construction. Many of the Increment 2 sites have been approved and the rest are due to go to DSA soon. The architects have not experienced any problems or concerns from DSA during the approval process. Designs and schematics for Increment 3 are being completed. Pete advised that the solar project school sites were grouped in geographical areas to increase efficiency; however some Inc. 2 sites have been accelerated in order to mitigate impact on school and neighborhoods. Glenbrook and Holbrook are being held out awaiting direction from the School Board. Contingency letters have been sent out to schools in case construction is ongoing at the beginning of the school year and the team tried to address all possible contingencies. The information is to be distributed by the sites as they deem most efficient. Susan Noack stated that her school (Strandwood) website cannot link to the Measure C website. Pete will investigate and see if this can be resolved. The Measure C team will do whatever it can to enhance outreach.
Faye Mettler wondered who was responsible for getting information to the school and community. Pete emphasized that the Measure C team has been to all the schools and spoken to Administration, staff and other school community members; created a website, met with all City managers and Federal Glover and that we have sent out brochures, but it was assumed that the individual schools will get the information to the school community.
Jon Parker asked if the Measure C staff would be speaking with the new principals. Marc Fabie said yes and that the team has asked to be on the agenda at the meetings.
Faye suggested signs and Cheryl agreed. It was also suggested that the District encourage the sites to communicate with their local community. Pete related that the signs were already in progress.
Connie Schulte wondered how we kept the arrays from being vandalized. Pete said that we really have no way of doing that but that he has not heard of any real problems. John Ferrante added that Pittsburg Unified put up solar arrays and have not experienced any vandalism.
HVAC Project-status report: Tim Cody reported that all information is online and that the schematics are finished and they are on to the design phase, then to DSA. They are right on schedule. Cheryl Hansen asked if they are controlled at the site or at the M &O office? Tim said that they have individual thermostats but we do have the capability of controlling globally. He also stated that the new units can feed up to 6 classrooms.
Technology Infrastructure-status report: Tim Cody stated that Optiman will soon be all over the district. We will also be issuing a RFP for security.
High School Projects: Pete advised that each high school has been allotted 1.5 million dollars and was asked for a “wish-list” to be submitted to the Measure C team. The team will put together rough costs and get back to the sites. At the June 28, 2011 Board meeting the team will submit a list of projects. The monies for these projects will come from Prop 55, 2002 Measure C, 2010 Measure C and Developer Fees.
DSA Certification Projects: Three projects have been closed, we are working on two more and there are 13 projects that we are still gathering data on.
Financials: Mitchell Stark reported that the District had another Bond sale for 1.5 million. $175, 000 was moved to Measure C, mostly for legal fees.
Alicia Minyen asked who or what determines a Bond sale? Pete stated that the cash flow requirements associated with the projects: solar, HVAC, determine the timing of a Bond sale. There are time limits on Bond expenditures and there will be multiple Bond sales driven by the needs and timelines and management issues of the projects.
John Parker wondered what the purview of the Oversight Committee is with regard to Bond sales. Pete related that he didn’t believe it was in the Committee’s purview to make decisions related to the sale of the bonds. Pete said that, if the Committee requests, he would schedule Bryan Richards at a later meeting to explain Bonds. Pete also stated that they would look at using the same format as the previous Measure C quarterly report to indicate the cash flow of the
Mitchell showed with a power point demonstrations how the money has been spent thus far.
John Ferrante asked why the irrigation project was put on hold. Pete reported that he and the team were not comfortable with the lack of hard info and data that is available and were waiting for better technology.
Pete, using current and past data, shared with the committee, a comparison of actual staffing/management costs when Vanir provided Construction Management service for the 2002 Measure C program and positions and approximate costs to date with the present “in” house residential staffing mode.
John Parker asked what the anticipated cost is for next year. Pete stated that the total for the entire seven years should be about 8.1 million.
Marc Willis asked, again, about the possibility of going on a field trip to SunPower. Pete will look into it.
John Ferrante mentioned that if a member’s one or two year term was up, they had a choice to leave or to sign up for another term. The limit is two terms-either two year terms or one year or a combination. If a member does leave it is asked they try to find their own replacement.
Linda will email the people whose terms are ending.
It was suggested that we move the Public Comment section of the agenda to a different spot.
Pete shared the question posed by Alicia Minyen at the last meeting regarding COPS and the response from Meredith Johnson, Bond Counsel. Alicia says that she will look into it further.
The scheduled meetings for year are:
September 15, 2011(next meeting)
December 15, 2011
March 15, 2012
June 21, 2012
The meeting was adjourned at 9:25PM”
As you can see, the committee never discussed the fact that there would be no July organizational meeting, as required by its bylaws.
Do you think the district should post the draft minutes online before the meeting?