As I mentioned in my previous blog, I was unable to reach Mt. Diablo district Superintendent Steven Lawrence, Board President Gary Eberhart or trustees Sherry Whitmarsh, Linda Mayo or Lynne Dennler before filing my story about the Clayton Valley High School charter effort, which appeared in today’s Times. I also did not speak to any of them before posting my last blog entry, which included interviews with Clayton Mayor David Shuey and Trustee Cheryl Hansen.
Although I don’t normally work on weekends, I came into my office today and found a voicemail from Eberhart, which was left at 6:32 pm. Friday.
He said he had been in meetings earlier and apologized for not being able to call back sooner.
“This is not as it is being portrayed, but that’s typical,” he said. “I’m certainly happy to provide an update of where we’re at and where things are headed. I think I have a pretty good idea of where things are at and where things are headed.”
Unfortunately, he didn’t specify what he felt was not being portrayed accurately. I called him back and left him a voicemail saying that I’m very interested in hearing his side of the story. So far, I haven’t heard back.
I also received an e-mail from Hansen, along with a copy of an e-mail she sent to Lawrence and Eberhart regarding the Nov. 8 board meeting.
Here’s what it said:
“October 21, 2011
TO: Steven Lawrence and Gary Eberhart
FROM: Cheryl Hansen, Trustee
RE: Agenda Item for November 8, 2011 Board Meeting
This is to notify you that I am placing on the November 8th Board meeting agenda an action item as follows:
Meeting: Tuesday, November 8, 2011
Category: Business/Action Item
Subject: Final Acceptance of Clayton Valley Charter High School Petition
Summary: Representatives from the district and the charter school committee have held a series of meetings since September 13, 2011 to address the conditions that the Board approved at the September 13 meeting. Final vote to approve or deny based on staff recommendations will be held on November 8, 2011.”
For comparison, here is what Hansen submitted for the Oct. 25 agenda:
“October 11, 2011
TO: Gary Eberhart and Steven Lawrence
FROM: Cheryl Hansen, Trustee
RE: Agenda Item for October 25, 2011 Board Meeting
This is to notify you that I am placing on the October 25th Board meeting agenda an item for discussion/action as follows:
Review, edit, delete, and/or amend the conditions attached to the Clayton Valley High School charter school petition on September 13, 2011.”
In an Oct. 14 e-mail to me, she wrote: “While the majority of the board did not support my motion to rescind, my hope is that the board will at the very least support amending the conditions to expedite this matter.”
OCT. 23 UPDATE: Hansen has sent me another email with an updated version of the item she wants to put on the Nov. 8 agenda, stressing that staff should make a final recommendation on the charter petition at that time.
Here’s the revised agenda item:
“Representatives from the district and the charter school committee have held a series of meetings since Sept. 13 to address the conditions that the Board approved at the Sept. 13 meeting. Prior to Nov. 8, district staff will have completed its final review and be prepared to present their summative recommendations to the Board for approval or denial of the charter petition. Final vote to approve or deny based on staff recommendations will be held on Nov. 8.”
Do you think the board should give the charter a final decision in November, instead of waiting until February, as originally planned?