Although some districts take the month of July off, Lafayette Superintendent Fred Brill has issued a message to his community to update parents about Transitional Kindergarten, student registration, the upcoming school board election, school calendar and professional development.
Here is his message:
“July 13, 2012
Dear Parents and Community,
I hope this communication finds you immersed in a restful summer vacation filled with family, friends and fun! There are a few notable changes and events of which we would like you to be aware:
· Transitional Kindergarten: The recent passage of the 2012-2013 California Budget now includes a requirement that all school districts provide a Transitional Kindergarten program, which we are prepared to do at all of our elementary school sites. In the 2012-13 school year, this program will be offered to those students born on or after November 2 and on or before December 2 in 2007. For more information, contact Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction Rachel Zinn, (925) 927-3500.
· New Student Registration: Over the summer when school offices are closed, new families may come to the Lafayette School District Administration Office, 3477 School Street, Lafayette, to enroll for the upcoming school year. Please call Melissa Hom, 925-927-3500, if you have questions.
Summer Registration Hours at the District Office are:
July 3 – August 3
Tuesdays-Wednesdays-Thursdays: 1:00 – 3:30 p.m.
Fridays: 8:00 – 11:30 a.m.
· Online Fegistration System-Reghub.org: We have now moved the student information database to the Cloud. This has allowed us to collaborate with LPIE and parent organizations to streamline the parent registration process through an online website. Parents, please look forward to receiving detailed information about how to update personal information, as well as the times for your school’s mascot day (August 20), in the August mailer, which will be mailed out the first week of August.
· Governing Board Elections: Two Board member terms will end this year (Shayne Silva and Stephenie Teichman). These 4-year term seats are set to be on the November 6, 2012, Election ballot. The candidacy filing period is July 16 – August 10, 2012; however, the filing period will be extended if an incumbent does not file. For information on filing Candidate Nomination papers, election timetable, etc. contact the Contra Costa County Elections Department. If you would like information on serving on the Governing Board of the Lafayette School District, feel free to contact any current Board member whose email address can be found on our district website: http://www.lafsd.k12.ca.us/board.
· Revised 2012-2013 School Year Calendar: We made a minor change in elementary conference dates (Grades 1-5) (changing one of the four elementary parent/teacher conference days in September from a Wednesday to a Monday). Early student dismissal will be on: September 24, 25, 27, 28 (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday). Wednesday, September 26 will be a regular, full day. To download the 2012-2013 revised calendar (pdf), visit our district website: http://www.lafsd.k12.ca.us/Calendar
While many of our campuses have been overflowing with summer camps, soccer and baseball, our custodians, grounds and maintenance crews have been working tirelessly to ensure our facilities are sparkling and ready for the first day of school, and our teachers have been collaboratively planning and attending conferences in preparation for the beginning of school on August 21.
I look forward to a positive and productive school year for all of our students!
Fred Brill, Ed.D.
Do you think it’s important for district superintendents to communicate with the community?