O-Town CALL FOR MEDIA ARTWORK
THE GREAT WALL OF OAKLAND: The City of Oakland is now accepting works for possible screening on the “Great Wall of Oakland.” This 100 by 100-foot outdoor wall overlooks the busy intersection of Grand Avenue and Broadway in the bustling center of Oakland’s Uptown District, surrounded by restaurants, condominiums and galleries… SCREENINGS
Now in its second year of programming, the Great Wall of Oakland is the canvas for exciting experimental media art by contemporary regional and international media artists as well as classic film and video selections. Screenings are held after dark on the first Friday of each month, the night of the monthly Oakland ArtMurmur gallery walk.
We have established themes for each month’s show and encourage you to submit work that relates either literally or extremely loosely to these themes. You may submit artwork at any time for any month OR work that does not pertain to any of these themes. We look forward to seeing your creativity!
Friday, July 4, 2008: INDEPENDENCE. Deadline: Friday, June 27, 5:00 p.m.
August 1, 2008: WATER. Deadline: Friday, July 11, 5:00 p.m.
September 5, 2008: LABOR. Deadline: Friday, July 25, 5:00 p.m.
October 3, 2008: FOOD AND DRINK. Deadline: Friday, August 29, 5:00 p.m.
November 7, 2008: DEMOCRACY. Deadline: Friday, September 26, 5:00 p.m.
December 5, 2008: HOLIDAYS. Deadline: Friday, October 31, 5:00 p.m.
- You must be the author or co-author of this artwork and have the right to grant permission to screen the work for non-profit purposes.
- There is no minimum length. Works up to 15 minutes long will be considered.
- Pieces must work without audio. (At the present time we do not have the capability of presenting audio tracks, ambient audio or live accompaniment.)
- Artwork must be appropriate for display in a public place.
- Submissions should be high resolution QuickTime files that can be played on DVD and are compatible with Mac AND PC laptops.
- Both 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios are accepted.
(1) Send an email including artist’s name, email address, phone number, title of artwork submitted and running time to: firstname.lastname@example.org
(2) Email a preview link of your work to email@example.com
(3) Mail a DVD containing your work (and clearly marked with the above information) to:
Great Wall of Oakland
Oakland Cultural Arts & Marketing Division
1 Frank Ogawa Plaza, 9th floor
Oakland, CA 94612
- Artists selected will be paid a modest honorarium for the screening of their work.
- We will attempt to send all participating artists a photo of their work on the Great Wall.
Please contact the City of Oakland Public Art Program at: firstname.lastname@example.org. PLEASE DO NOT SEND LARGE FILES TO THIS ADDRESS!
The Great Wall of Oakland overlooks Grand Avenue just west of Broadway, above a parking lot behind Luka’s Taproom & Lounge. The 100 by 100 foot images are projected onto the eight-story back wall of Metrovation’s building at 2201 Broadway, across Grand Avenue from the roof of Signature Properties’ Broadway Grand condominiums.
The Great Wall of Oakland is sponsored by Metrovation in partnership with Signature Properties and the City of Oakland’s Public Art Program, which is co-sponsoring this event as a project of Luminous Oakland, a new media arts corridor, in Oakland’s Uptown area. For more information on the Public Art Program, visit oaklandculturalarts.org.
OAKLAND ART MURMUR
ArtMurmur, the monthly First Fridays Art Night, is a festive, arts-positive event that has grown quickly and received national attention. Gallery exhibits, openings, music and impromptu street performances are all part of the loosely knit spectrum of activity that characterizes ArtMurmur. For more information, visit oaklandartmurmur.com