The grassroots progressive Democratic Courage Campaign is launching a new effort to call attention to California’s fiscal crisis and impending cash outage, which could have you — yes, you — getting IOUs in the mail next month instead of financial aid checks or tax refunds:

Click to enlarge:

Chuckle-worthy, right down to the serial number. I’m guessing this isn’t the way Schwarzenegger might’ve dreamed of seeing his face on currency…

Josh Richman

Josh Richman covers state and national politics for the Bay Area News Group. A New York City native, he earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism from the University of Missouri and reported for the Express-Times of Easton, Pa. for five years before coming to the Oakland Tribune and ANG Newspapers in 1997. He is a frequent guest on KQED Channel 9’s “This Week in Northern California;” a proud father; an Eagle Scout; a somewhat skilled player of low-stakes poker; a rather good cook; a firm believer in the use of semicolons; and an unabashed political junkie who will never, EVER seek elected office.

  • John W

    The refund thing shouldn’t be such a big deal. Just apply the amount overpaid to 2009 taxes and reduce your withholding or estimated tax payments accordingly. Then, you don’t have to wait for anything.

  • Arne Simonsen

    John W is right! Roll you 2008 State Tax Refund towards your 2009 income tax with-holding, then file a new DE-4 with your employer stating that you have 99 exemptions, meaning no State income tax will be withheld from your paycheck in all of 2009 🙂

    Of course, you could always take the State IOU and pay your federal income taxes with it 🙂 (not sure the IRS will appreciate it, however.)