The weekend blitz is about to begin in the 11th Congressional District as the forces of Democratic incumbent Rep. Jerry McNerney and GOP nominee David Harmer converge on the district.
This is one of 50 or more congressional seats in the country that could flip parties and put the GOP in charge of the House of Representatives, and both sides can taste victory.
Your doorbell may ring. Your mailbox will fill up. Your doorknob may be festooned. A candidate or his proxy may show up at your house. And your radio and TV stations will blare with the latest advertising, much of it featuring wildly distorted and unreliable information.
California unions are gearing up for major precinct work this weekend as they push to get Democrats to the polls in support of their candidates from the top of the ticket on down to the local races.
Outside groups are still spending big in the 11th District, too. By far, the largest cash infusion is into the anti-Harmer campaign. Here’s how it broke down as of this afternoon:
- Oppose Harmer: $1.3 million
- Support Harmer: $66,905
- Oppose McNerney: $458,910
- Support McNerney: $140,899
Here’s a list of the organizations, the political leanings and what they have spent:
- Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, liberal: $1,031,191
- National Republican Congressional Committee, conservative: $357,842
- American Federation Of State County And Municipal Employees AFL-CIO, liberal: $149,999
- America’s Families First Action Fund 149,999
- Club For Growth Action, conservative: $65,224
- Defenders Of Wildlife Action Fund, liberal: $58,492
- Planned Parenthood Advocates Mar Monte, liberal: $47,911
- National Rifle Association Of America Political Victory Fund, conservative: $47,577
- Americans For Limited Government, conservative: $27,470
- America Votes, conservative: $26,822
- League Of Conservation Voters, Inc., liberal: $24,759
- Republican Majority Campaign, conservative: $10,773
- Humane Society Legislative Fund, liberal: $9,736
- Susan B Anthony List Inc., conservative anti-abortion group: $5,924
- National Right To Life Political Action Committee, conservative: $5,372
- Freedomworks Inc. Political Action Committee, conservative: $3,107
- Revere America, conservative: $2,526
If you want to check the FEC independent expenditures over the weekend, visit this web site, click on “customize” and enter the candidate’s name.