State Sen. Mark DeSaulnier, D-Concord, will chair the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee this year, leaving prior post at the head of the Labor and Industrial Relations Committee.
DeSaulnier will remain chairman of the Senate Budget Committee’s subcommittee on Health and Human Services, Labor and Veteran’s Affairs.
His neighbor, state Sen. Loni Hancock, D-Berkeley, was named chairwoman of the Public Safety Committee and the budget subcommittee on Corrections and Public Safety.
Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg makes the appointments.
In his new post, DeSaulnier returns to a familiar policy arena. He served on the Metropolitan Transporation Commission when he was a Contra Costa County supervisor, and he has long been a vocal advocate of creating planning ties between transportation and housing projects.
It’s all part of the annual chairmanship shuffle in Sacramento as legislators term out and leave vacancies.
Read on for Steinberg’s full committee list.
Steinberg Announces Committee Chair Assignments
(SACRAMENTO) – State Senate President pro Tempore Darrell Steinberg today announced his nominees for Senate committee chairs, forming a legislative team to develop serious solutions for serious times. Steinberg selected the following Senators as committee chairs with an eye toward quickly resolving immediate budget challenges to allow the Senate to move forward on equally critical issues essential to rebuilding the state’s economy and stimulating job creation, reforming government, and creating stronger links between education curriculum and job opportunities.
“We have to put this fiscal crisis behind us and do it early,” said Steinberg. “At the same time, we need to move forward just as quickly with our plans for economic growth, fixing our broken system of government and making education more relevant to students preparing for work in high-demand careers.”
Toward that end, Senator Steinberg is also consolidating the Revenue & Taxation and Local Government committees into the new Senate Committee on Governance and Finance, to be chaired by Senator Lois Wolk. The new committee will help guide the Senate’s reform effort to move government closer to the people, improve government accountability and efficiency, and restore public trust in their government.
The committee chair designations will be formally considered for adoption by the Senate Rules Committee at its next meeting on January 12, 2011. The full list of Senate committee membership assignments likely will be released within the next week.
- Agriculture: Tom Berryhill
- Appropriations: Christine Kehoe
- Banking & Financial Institutions: Juan Vargas
- Budget & Fiscal Review: Mark Leno
- Budget Subcommittee #1 – Education: Carol Liu
- Budget Subcommittee #2 – Resources, Environmental Protection, Energy, & Transportation: Joe Simitian
- Budget Subcommittee #3 – Health & Human Services, Labor & Veteran’s Affairs: Mark DeSaulnier
- Budget Subcommittee #4 – State Administration, General Government & Judicial: Michael Rubio
- Budget Subcommittee #5 – Corrections and Public Safety: Loni Hancock
- Business & Professions: Curren Price, Jr.
- Education: Alan Lowenthal
- Elections & Constitutional Amendments: Lou Correa
- Energy, Utilities and Communications: Alex Padilla
- Environmental Quality: Joe Simitian
- Governance & Finance: Lois Wolk
- Governmental Organization: Roderick Wright
- Health: Ed Hernandez, O.D.
- Human Services: Carol Liu
- Insurance: Ron Calderon
- Judiciary: Noreen Evans
- Labor & Industrial Relations: open – Vice Chair Ellen Corbett
- Legislative Ethics: Mimi Walters
- Natural Resources and Water: Fran Pavley
- Public Employment and Retirement: Gloria Negrete McLeod
- Public Safety: Loni Hancock
- Rules: Darrell Steinberg
- Transportation and Housing: Mark DeSaulnier
- Veterans Affairs: Lou Correa