By Lisa Vorderbrueggen
Friday, May 27th, 2011 at 5:45 pm in pension reform.
A month before labor contracts with the vast majority of Contra Costa County government employees expire, the civil grand jury issued its pension reform package.
The report came out today. The grand jury recommends the county:
- Seek concessions in upcoming union talks that will offset rising pension costs.
- Prioritize employee benefit changes that produce immediate cost savings, while pursing legislative relief in other areas.
- Move immediately in areas where the board of supervisors has legal authority to act without union authority or legislative change, although there aren’t many and they are disputed.
- Require employees to pay more toward their pension costs.
- Seek legislation that would permit the placement of pension cap so that no employee receives a pension payment higher than what he or she earned while on the job.
Read the full report below.