By Lisa Vorderbrueggen
Friday, May 27th, 2011 at 4:25 pm in Contra Costa politics.
The two targets of the city council recall in Hercules are out-raising and out-spending their challengers as the incumbents strive to save their political careers.
Councilwoman Joann Ward topped the list with $8,269 in contributions although $8,000 came from her own bank account, according to the campaign finance reports filed late Thursday. The bulk of the money was spent on campaign literature and postage.
The reports include expenses and funds collected as of May 21. It is the last report before the June 7 election, although candidates are required to post within 24 hours expenses and contributions of $1,000 or greater.
Councilman Don Kuehne loaned his campaign $3,000 and received $2,000 from IBEW 302 Community Candidates Political Action Committee of Sacramento.
Like Ward, most of his expenses were for literature and postage.
Those numbers will probably rise substantially to reflect the costs of campaign mailers sent out in the past couple of days and after the May 21 cut-off date.
Here is rundown of the dollars for all the candidates. You may also click on the link for each committee and view the report.
RUNNING FOR SEAT VACATED BY ED BALICO
- Mark Anthony Jones — Raised $2,941. Spent $1,732. Reported $1,209 in the bank. No personal loans.
- Sherry McCoy — Raised $4,460. Spent $3,252. Reported $1,207 in the bank. No personal loans.
- Dan Romero — Raised $2,397. Spent $3,461. Reported $1,334 in the bank. No personal loans.
RECALL TARGET COUNCILMAN DON KUEHNE AND CANDIDATE SEEKING TO REPLACE HIM*
- Don Kuehne – Raised $6,500. Spent $6,621. Reported $4,103 in the bank. Personal loans of $3,000.
- * Gerard Boulanger (running for Kuehne’s seat) and William Wilkins (running for Ward’s seat) have formed a joint commitee — Raised 4,7916. Spent $5,026. Reported $2,89 in the bank. Personal loans of $4,763, or about $2,700 each.
RECALL TARGET COUNCILWOMAN JOANN WARD AND CANDIDATES SEEKING TO REPLACE HER*
- Joann Ward — Raised $8,269. Spent $7,648. Reported $620 in the bank. No personal loans but she directly contributed $8,000 to her campaign.
- * Gerard Boulanger (running for Kuehne’s seat) and William Wilkins (running for Ward’s seat) have formed a joint commitee — Raised $7,916. Spent $5,026. Reported $2,89 in the bank. Personal loans of $4,763, or about $2,700 each.
- Virgil de la Vega — Raised $3,858. Spent $3,450. Reported $1,958 in the bank. Personal loans of $1,000.
INDEPENDENT EXPENDITURE COMMITTEES
- Support the Hercules Recall of Kuehne and Ward — Raised $8,463. Spent $10,020. Reported $1,381 in the bank. No loans.