The cash is beginning to trickle into the into the campaigns of Contra Costa County supervisor candidates and the incumbents seeking re-election.
See below a dollar rundown of the candidates for Contra Costa County supervisor who filed campaign finance disclosures as of Dec. 31, 2011. (Download the full documents for yourself at the Contra Costa Election Division’s campaign finance web site, http://www.cocovote.us/.)
All candidates will compete in the June 5 election. If a candidate receives 50 percent plus one vote, he or she will win the seat outright in June. If not, the top two finishers will advance to a runoff in the November general election.
Keep in mind, the filing date opens on Feb. 13 and more candidates will likely surface.
But cash is king when it comes to winning elections. Folks who arrive late to the party may find those wallets already closed.
District 2 (Incumbent Gayle Uilkema is retiring.)
- Tomi Van de Brooke, an Orinda resident and trustee on the Contra Costa Community College District: $36,900 in total contributions; $29,766 in the bank; and no personal loans.
- Candace Andersen, Danville mayor: No filing. (She didn’t declare her candidacy until mid-November.)
District 3 (incumbent has no declared challengers)
- Incumbent Supervisor Mary Nejedly Piepho of Discovery Bay (sitting supervisors have two accounts, a campaign account and an officeholder account for which she may spend the money only on activities related to serving in office: Campaign account — $27,668 in total contributions, $34,527 in the bank; and no personal loans. Officeholder account: $20,970 in total contributions, $3,611 in the bank; and no personal loans.
- Incumbent supervisor Federal Glover of Pittsburg: Campaign account — $8,355 in total contributions; $36,621 in the bank; and no personal loans. Officeholder account — $46,655 in total contributions; $53,447 in the bank; and no personal loans.
- Michael Menesini, deputy district attorney and Martinez Councilman: $500 in total contributions; $363 in the bank; and no personal loans.