Friday, October 7th, 2005 at 1:07 pm in Prep Sports.
Mmmm…humble pie. I finished off a pretty good slice of it last week after going 2-3. But in the end, no harm was done and I’m still trailing by one single-dingle dang ‘ol point.
I have a good chance to get that point back this week, so as the Shawshank Redemption’s Andy DuFresne may have said if he was a fan of the Forecast, "It’s time to get busy pickin’, or get busy dyin’."
Anyway, with that said…
(5) Ygnacio Valley over Liberty: This five-pointer is far from comfortable. The Warriors are certainly on a roll and they’re dominant against the run. However, they could struggle against the passing attack of Lions’ QB Jason Smith. It could be a close one, but I still give the edge to YV.
(4) Alameda over El Cerrito: It’s pretty much how Bill put it. There are just too many things stacked against the Gauchos this week.
(3) Las Lomas over Miramonte: It’s a great, big, huge DFAL game. Both teams are actually very similar. They both have very fast defenses and effective running games. I like the Knights because they are at home.
(2) Mission Viejo over De La Salle: It’s the No. 2 team in the nation playing on its own campus. I know DLS travels well and always steps up in big games, but this just might be an order it can’t fill.
(1) California over Foothill: May Matt Sweeney strike me down, but I think the Grizzlies are too well-coached to let the Monte Vista loss turn into an EBAL losing streak. I would be shocked not to see Cal fire on all cylinders and win this one by at least a touchdown. But then again, I’ve made it my one-point game, so you can tell my confidence is soaring.
SWING GAME — San Ramon Valley over Granada: The Wolves showed me something by pushing Foothill to the limit last week. In comparison, Granada will seem like a walk in the park.