You have to love this time of year. It’s getting a little colder at night, Hallowe’en and Thanksgiving are just around the corner and most prep football teams are thinking about what it’ll take to get into the North Coast Section playoffs. With that in mind, let’s get to the Forecasting.
(5) Pittsburg over Liberty: The Lions know that a win over Pitt would significantly increase their chances of getting into the NCS 4A bracket. No offense, but if Romont Taylor can put up well over 100 yards against De La Salle, he likely won’t have much trouble doing the same against Liberty.
(4) San Leandro over San Ramon Valley: The Pirates haven’t been tested lately, having outscored their last three opponents 2,604-0 (or something like that). And despite it not being a league game, San Leandro still has plenty to play for. If they win and close out the season unbeaten, the Pirates can make a case for being the one of the top three seeds in the NCS 4A playoffs. If they lose, they may be seeded behind other EBAL teams such as Cal, Monte Vista and Amador Valley. San Ramon Valley also has its backs to the wall, but its defense will have to come together quickly to have a chance.
(3) Las Lomas over Acalanes: Watch for this one to be a defensive battle. To have a chance, Acalanes must force Las Lomas into second-and-long and third-and-long situations. Getting some pressure on QB Jordan Kerl wouldn’t hurt, either. But at the end of the day, Acalanes will have trouble moving the ball against a very good Las Lomas front seven. Just like the Miramonte game, the Knights will only need about 20 points to pull this one out.
(2) El Cerrito over Encinal: This may be a must-win for the Gauchos if they want to finish above .500, considering Pinole Valley and Berkeley are their final two opponents. Encinal has won three straight, but the combined records of those three teams is 6-15.
(1) Monte Vista over Foothill: I know the Mustangs typically struggle against the Falcons, but the boys from Danville will just find a way in this one. Foothill has played much better in recent weeks since the loss to Cal, but it is still not talented enough to compete with MV.
Swing time: College Park over Dublin. They’d let the grass grow for about a month if this game was at Dublin. But since it’s on the Astroturf at DVC, the Falcons will roll and keep their slim playoff chances alive.