Friday, November 18th, 2005 at 5:45 pm in Prep Sports.
The Forecast has reached the fourth quarter. I’m clinging to a field goal advantage and it’s time to dig deep, make plays, execute. It’s only a half hour before I head out to the Monte Vista-Amador Valley tilt, so let’s get right to it.
(5) Ygnacio Valley over El Cerrito: The Gauchos won’t know what hit them. So I’ll let them know ahead of time: Gary Graffort, Al Becerra, James Lawson, Puiake Uaisele and a host of other players on a very physical Warriors roster.
(4) Las Lomas over Clayton Valley: In a rematch of one of the best NCS championship games in recent memory, the Knights will be looking to get even for a 37-36 double-OT loss in 2002. However, more than revenge, this game will be about defense — Las Lomas has a pretty good one, and Clayton Valley’s tends to disappear from time to time.
(3) San Ramon Valley over Hayward: Compared to another night of playing in the EBAL, the Wolves are going to relish their trip to Hayward.
(2) Cal over Foothill: It’s like The Dizzy said, it’s all about home field advantage in this one. Still, most teams are lucky to beat Foothill once in a season. Twice? The Grizzlies face a daunting challenge, but they have the talent (and the coaching) to meet it.
(1) San Leandro over Pittsburg: Yet another team trying to defeat a very good program twice in one season. Still, there’s a reason San Leandro finished 10-0.
De La Salle over James Logan: Fortunately for the Colts, it will be overly quickly.
Monte Vista over Amador Valley: The game is in Danville this time, and that’s bad news for AV.
Pinole Valley over Granada: It’s hard to go against an EBAL team, but Pinole Valley is at home and has the playoff experience.
Alameda over Irvington: Regardless of records or seeds, I would not want to play an Alameda team in the first round. I would, however, like to play an Irvington team.
Miramonte over Piedmont: The Matadors might be the best team nobody is talking about.
Acalanes over Bishop O’Dowd: The Dons felt snubbed by the seeding committee, and will look to purge their frustration on the team which knocked them out of the playoffs a season ago.
Dublin over Encinal: This one could get ugly.
Justin-Siena over St. Mary’s: This one will be ugly.
Salesian over John Swett: The Indians have heart, but not the firepower to beat Salesian.