I love the NCS football playoffs and all of the tension and drama that comes with it. It’s kind of like ‘The Forecast’ itself. Knowing what’s at stake, Chace, Bill and I haven’t a word to each other all week.
Okay, so that last part isn’t true. Regardless, this is most exciting three weeks on the prep calendar as far as I’m concerned. So here we go with the picks.
(5) Ygnacio Valley over El Cerrito: The Warriors crushed Hercules to start the season, and the Gauchos weren’t quite as dominating in their win over the Titans a few weeks ago. Look for YV to grind out a 2-3 touchdown win.
(4) Foothill over California: Yes, Cal is the Cinderella story. But they haven’t been to the playoffs in, like, forever. Meanwhile, Foothill coach Matt Sweeney has taken his teams to playoffs almost every year the Grizzlies players have been alive. If they avoid a slow start, the Falcons will advance.
(3) Hayward over San Ramon Valley: The nickle-and-dime doesn’t get a lot of respect in the Tri-Valley area. But the Farmers played San Leandro just as tough as SRV did. It seems like I’m the only guy who actually thinks the No. 1 seed will win.
(2) San Leandro over Pitt: The Pirates have come a long way since the Week 1 debacle. I just don’t think they’ve come far enough to beat a team that allowed less than a touchdown per game in HAAL play.
(1) Las Lomas over Clayton Valley: The Knights struggled during the regular season last year as well, but pulled it together in time to make the 3A final. I think they’ll do the same this year. Clayton is on a roll, but it has only beaten one playoff team (YV) this year.
Swing for the fences: Monte Vista over Amador Valley.
Other picks — De La Salle over James Logan, Granada over Pinole Valley, Miramonte over Piedmont, Justin-Siena over St. Mary’s, Benicia over Luther Burbank, Acalanes over O’Dowd, Dublin over Encinal, Salesian over John Swett.