The first round of the NCS playoffs had its share of laughers, but now things really get interesting. Here we go with the picks.
(6) De La Salle over Foothill: The Falcons have lost just once in their last six games but they’ll have to be near-perfect to have a chance against the Spartans. And local teams haven’t had much success being perfect against De La Salle in the last, oh, 14 years.
(5) Ygnacio Valley over Acalanes: The Warriors are 8-0 in games where they have scored first, so it’s obvious what the key to their success is: Get on top and stay on top. The Dons’ offense is one of the best YV has seen all year. But as long as the Warriors avoid giving up the big play, they’ll be moving on.
(4) Granada over Irvington: Newsflash! EBAL teams do pretty well against HAAL/MVAL teams.
(3) Monte Vista over San Leandro: See above.
(2) Dublin over Miramonte: The Matadors are playing their best football of the season right now. But the Gaels always play Miramonte tough, and this game will be no different.
(1) Las Lomas over San Ramon Valley: The Knights are seeking a little revenge after being blown out by the Wolves in the NCS 3A East Bay title game last year. And Las Lomas’ defensive front seven on defense is good enough to carry the team to a win.
(1) Salesian over Clear Lake: I’m not betting against Jahvid Best. Ever.
– Curtis Pashelka