Monday, September 11th, 2006 at 6:11 pm in Uncategorized.
Here’s a few random thoughts/observations from Week 1 of the prep football season.
- It was a tough opening weekend for new coaches. Of the eight new coaches in the Times region, just three won: De Anza’s Mike Williams (41-8 over Kennedy-Richmond), Alameda’s George Calandri (14-7 over Bishop O’Dowd) and Acalanes’ Randy Takahashi (28-14 over Ukiah).
- Power leagues: There was no surprise at which leagues fared best. The Bay Valley Athletic League and East Bay Athletic League both went 5-2.
- You can’t stop Monte Vista WR Ryan Whalen, you can only hope to contain him.
- You can’t even hope to contain Salesian RB Jahvid Best.
- Best celebrity coach/celebrity player combination: Former Pro Bowl defensive end Dana Stubblefield is now the defensive line coach for Valley Christian-San Jose. His star pupil: Matt Singletary, son of Hall of Fame linebacker Mike Singletary.
- Clutch performance of the week: Campolindo kicker Jimmy Adranly, who kicked a 23-yard field goal with 7.2 seconds left to beat Piedmont 23-22.
-Week 2 game I’m most looking forward to: While DLS-Elder(Ohio) is certainly intriguing, I expect the Spartans to play their best in the big games and come away with a win. However, I don’t know what to expect Pittsburg to do at Long Beach Poly in its first high-profile game on the road.
-FRIDAY FORECAST returns Friday morning, I’ll see you then.