So, the postseason is upon us and there’s nothing but good football left to be played. So, the chances that I punt some more picks are higher. Here goes nothing.
(6) Irvington over Clayton Valley – When I saw the Eagles last, they proved one thing to me: They won’t lay down for anyone. Sadly, neither will Irvington and Clayton Valley’s season comes to an end in this one.
(5) Alhambra over Alameda – This is the classic struggle of the pass versus the run. Jeff Murphy and the Hornets will go to the air, Brandon Rutley and Alhambra will hit the ground running and in the end Rutley will make all the difference.
(4) Ygnacio Valley over Bishop O’Dowd – In past years, nobody would throw a pass in this game. Not this year, as the Dragons have run more shotgun and passed more this year in attempt to jump-start their offense. I’m taking the Warriors, but remember the names Brian Mouton and Marcus Harrison. They’ll keep the Dragons in it.
(3) Campolindo over Acalanes – DFAL schools collide in the first round and I picked against Campo last week against Miramonte and it proved me wrong. The fact is that Campo is playing better each week and this week is no different.
(2) Monte Vista over SRV – The Mustangs fell victim to some heroics by Corbin Louks when these two schools last met. Let’s say Louks doesn’t make the big play though. Monte Vista would have won. This time, the Mustangs finish what they started. And not for nothing, but the Mustangs will be competing for the mantle of most successful team at school (the girls tennis team is also in action Friday).
(1) Pittsburg over Deer Valley – Doesn’t it just seem wrong that I’m calling this an upset special? Pitt is battle tested in the postseason and the Wolverines are looking to carry the momentum of a 10-0 regular season into the playoffs. I’m picking Pitt because I think Vic Galli will make the right call at the right moment.