It’s finally the postseason. And now is when the Forecast, just like the games on the field, gets grueling.
To quote more than a handful of our local coaches, "The slate is clean, it’s a brand new season."
Well the Forecast slate isn’t clean. Not exactly. Even though Curtis and I concede the regular season title to Ben "Tennis boy" Enos, we’ll carry our regular season stats into the postseason. If you’re wondering what Ben earned for the regular season title, it was a fine sense of pride. As for the overall champion? We need to confer and figure out a proper reward.
The regular season standings finished as follows:
Time to elevate your game, Ben. No more gimmes.
Alright, on to the picks.
(6) Alhambra over Alameda: The Bulldogs are built for a strong playoff run, and it has a lot to do with their defense. That’s right. Sure, Brandon Rutley will likely run wild against the Hornets, but the defense will be the biggest key. SCORE: 27-10
(5) Campolindo over Acalanes: The Cougars finished the year playing their best football, winning three of their last four. Campolindo handled Acalanes RB Connor Ring the first time, and should do so again. SCORE: 23-14
(4) Irvington over Clayton Valley: Only Liberty gave up more rushing yards this season than Clayton Valley. This doesn’t bode well for the Eagles, because Irvington has one of the East Bay’s best running backs in Robert Turbin. Also, don’t underestimate a team whose coach is in his final season with the school. SCORE:31-21.
(3) Ygnacio Valley over Bishop O’Dowd: I just have a hunch that the Warriors are due for a big game. Coming out of the BVAL, they are certainly battle tested. SCORE: 27-17.
(2) San Ramon Valley over Monte Vista: I don’t trust the health of Mustangs QB Drew McAllister. And without McAllister, Monte Vista just isn’t the same. I’m giving the Wolves the nod in another close one. SCORE: 28-24.
(1) Pittsburg over Deer Valley: Pittsburg had won four straight BVAL titles before DV went unbeaten this season. Old champions die hard. I like the Pirates in an upset. SCORE: 24-21.