Friday, October 5th, 2007 at 4:07 pm in Uncategorized.
Monte Vista makes a big jump toward the top of the poll this week, but next week will determine how good the Mustangs really are or can be.
If back-to-back matches against Amador Valley and Foothill doesn’t get a team hyped up, nothing will. And if you think next week isn’t that big a deal, you’re mistaken.
All three teams are undefeated in EBAL while the Dons and Falcons make up the league champions of the last three years, so Monte Vista is battling history.
Monte Vista has a rare opportunity here. Two things can happen. The Mustangs can A) solidify themselves as contendors with one or (gasp!) TWO wins next week. Or B) pick up two losses faster than a sharp hit down the sideline. Either way, the EBAL picture will be much clearer after next week.
Carondelet, who made a big jump to No. 4, tries to keep up the momentum against Deer Valley. The Wolverines appear to be the class of the BVAL, and if the Cougars can knock them off it will provide a great win on its postseason resume and will replace Deer Valley in the drivers seat for the league title. But remember this, it took Carondelet a hard-fought four games on Tuesday to beat Liberty (a match that apparently could’ve gone either way) and the Lions fell fairly easily to Deer Valley on Sept. 25.
Albany also shoots up the ladder and is making a case as being one of the better teams in the area. Bishop O’Dowd won its 40th straight Hayward Area Athletic League match and grabbed sole possession of first place in the league with a four-game victory over Castro Valley.
– Ricardo Sanchez Jr.
EAST BAY GIRLS VOLLEYBALL COACHES POLL
1) Amador Valley (can the Dons go undefeated in EBAL?)
2) Deer Valley (first challenge in BVAL comes on Tuesday vs. Carondelet)
3) Monte Vista (Mustangs streaking in league play)
4) Carondelet (big win over Liberty sets up big match against DV)
5) Bishop O’Dowd (O’Dowd gets 40th straight HAAL win)
6) Albany (Cougars look to be the class of the BSAL)
7) Foothill (gets a tough fight from Granada)
8) Las Lomas (good showing at Albany Tournament)
9) Castro Valley (lose four-game tough one to Dragons)
10) San Ramon Valley (loses in three to Foothill in league play)
Others receiving votes — Campolindo, Granada