Friday, October 26th, 2007 at 6:24 pm in Uncategorized.
Maybe after tomorrow night (Oct. 27), when the Northgate Tournament is over and done with, the Top 10 will get a little shake up. But for now, it looks like the usual suspects remain in their usual slots.
Which is fine with me but…. there was some movement that left me a bit puzzled.
How does a team remain undefeated in league play by beating its cheif rival and still manages to DROP in the poll?
I guess my real question is: Why doesn’t Albany get a little more respect?
The Cougars look to be legitimate contenders in Division III, own a 23-2 overall record and haven’t lost a game in the Bay Shore Athletic League (as of Oct. 25).
Perhaps that’s it. The Cougars play in an athletic league that has the words BAY SHORE in front of it intsead of EAST BAY.
It’s more than fair to argue that playing in the EBAL is like walking through a mine field every week, but that reputation shouldn’t hold so much weight every single week.
Monte Vista beat California, Livermore and Granada (those three teams have a combined three wins in league play) after losing three-straight to Amador Valley, Foothill and San Ramon Valley, however those wins were enough for the Mustangs to jump ahead of the Cougars in the poll by two spots.
The Wolves apparently were boosted by its win over the Mustangs and was ahead of Albany even though it lost to Amador Valley by this score 29-27, 25-14, 24-26, 26-24. The scores maybe say the Wolves are the better team, but in the end, its the “W” that counts.
I’ll just say that a team can’t control the league it plays in, it can only win the matches it has on the schedule. And that’s what the Cougars have done.
Anyway, that’s why we have polls. They are supposed to be fun and spark debate.
What do you do think?
– Ricardo Sanchez Jr.
EAST BAY COACHES COACHES POLL (7)
1) Amador Valley (Like clockwork, this train is always on time)
2) Carondelet (is it Nov. 9 when Cougars play DV — yet?)
3) Deer Valley ( see Carondelet comment)
4) Bishop O’Dowd (see Amador Valley comment)
5) Foothill (waiting for rematch against Amador Valley)
6) Monte Vista (can’t wait until playoffs start for another shots)
7) San Ramon Valley (drops a tight one to Amador Valley)
8) Albany (Nicky Hagan and Jana Poole are ballers)
9) Castro Valley (write something about team here. Oops thinking out loud)
10) Las Lomas (rematch at Campolindo on Tuesaday Oct. 30 for league title)