There’s lots to do round these parts today so let’s go with some of our patented Geeks Speed Analysis.
- I listened to that whole De La Salle game and man, how many more lives do they have in the bag? Noah Perio deserves major kudos for his heads-up return of a missed field goal. They play that way against Don Bosco Prep this week, we’ll be talking about the 2-1 Spartans.
- Good for California for going to Seattle and hanging tough against Bellevue. The Grizzlies had every chance to resemble a deer in headlights but they strapped it on and played good football. The experience is only going to help them throughout the rest of the season.
- Joe Southwick has found a much needed running mate at San Ramon Valley. RB Brett Trimble proved a willing companion to Southwick’s dazzling offensive ability against San Leandro and he’s going to need to play a huge role now that WR Byron Gruendl has an injured hand and is limited offensively.
- Somebody stop Freedom! Ryan Rodriguez, Roman Runner and Co. cruised to an easy win over Fairfield and are now 3-0. This week will be the test though because the Falcons went 3-0 last year and proceeded to lose six straight. West-Tracy comes to Oakley this week.
- It sounded to me like the game of the week was Monte Vista-Pittsburg. Tom Hemmingsen had a HUGE day, going over 200 yards receiving and running a punt back for a touchdown. The Pirates need to shake those pesky first half jitters and put together a complete game.
- Don’t look now, but Clayton Valley is 3-0 and has only allowed three points so far this season. My hunch is that for all the buzz that Joey Levine generates at quarterback with his 6-foot-3, 210-pound frame, he should be getting equal buzz about his play at linebacker. I watched him make play after play in their scrimmage before the season and I have to say, he’s a heck of a defensive playmaker.
- Where did Antioch’s 47-20 win over Ygnacio Valley come from? Try the arm of QB Jordan Hoyle. He completed 13 passes for 291 yards, including two touchdowns. After playing Miramonte tough in week one, the Panthers seem to be a team on the rise all of a sudden.
- Finally, I’ll be heading to a classic West vs. East showdown this week when Berkeley travels to Pittsburg to take on the Pirates. Can the Yellow Jackets’ trio of runners (Ricky Galvin, Eyonte Teague, Reginald Bordenave) make a dent against the fast and furious Pirates defense? We’ll see.