Another week, another set of games to discuss. Let’s get to it.
- Here’s something to ponder as you enjoy another Monday morning. When was the last time that every team in Concord except De La Salle won? Mt. Diablo beat Kennedy-Sacramento, Clayton Valley beat Irvington and Concord beat Rio Linda. Tis the world we live in.
- Speaking of Concord, don’t underestimate the magnitude of that win over Rio Linda. That’s a team that was ranked in the top 15 of Sacramento-area schools according to the Sacramento Bee. The Minutemen seem to have some good momentum these days.
- Question: Will there be any defense played at this week’s game between Freedom and College Park? Those two could score a ton of points. Matchup of the week: Freedom WR Roman Runner against College Park DB Kenny Shrader. That’s going to be fun to watch.
- You want an old-school football team? Look no further than Deer Valley. The Wolverines might not light up the scoreboard, but they certainly don’t allow much in the way of points by the opposition, as evidenced by their 13-12 win over James Logan.
- West County schools got back on track with wins by Pinole Valley, El Cerrito, Kennedy-Richmond, and Hercules. That’s always good to see.
- Kudos to the boys at Ygnacio Valley, who weathered the loss of coach Josh Davis just before their game against Hayward to pick up a win. I have a pretty good idea of what happened (let’s just say we’ve seen this before from MDUSD schools) and I think it’s ridiculous to pull a coach from his team’s bus in front of everyone. That’s not only bad management, it’s harmful to the kids and whoever is responsible needs to be called out for it.
- Las Lomas lived to fight another day with a wild win over Rocklin. Who’s the one local player you would want to start a team with right now? Give me Diante Jackson any day of the week.
- And finally, the EBAL kicks off its league season this week. The game of the week is most definitely Monte Vista at Foothill. That has the makings of one physical contest.