Monday, November 24th, 2008 at 3:41 pm in Football.
Ooh baby! We got lots to talk about this week.
- First of all, the games I was at this weekend. Concord got gashed by Casa Grande RB Kahlil Keys and the Gauchos advanced to this week’s quarterfinal against Clayton Valley. I don’t know how well Keys will fare this week against a very strong Clayton Valley run defense. I think it’ll be a low-scoring game and I see Clayton advancing. You want a team to watch for next year? Consider that Forrest Hightower, Ray Buford, Ricky Lloyd, Corey Galindo, and Cody Chapple all return next year for Concord. This is only the start of what could be a very, very good group of Minutemen.
- I was also on hand to see San Ramon Valley have no trouble with San Leandro at Burrell Field. SRV might be playing the best ball of any team in the East Bay right now, so I think Friday’s rematch with Monte Vista is even more intriguing given the Mustangs will be looking to avenge their loss to the Wolves just two weeks earlier.
- Kudos to the BVAL for winning all three of its games. Freedom, Deer Valley, Heritage, and Pittsburg are all in the second round of the playoffs. That should tell you all you need to know about how strong that league is.
- Also kudos to Kennedy-Fremont, which won its first playoff game in school history.
- How about those two northern games? Las Lomas and Ygnacio Valley both went on the road and pulled exciting wins out. And why couldn’t they keep going? Both have competitive matchups this week, and could advance in the Division II bracket.
- Game of the week this week, without a doubt, is Pittsburg vs. California. What an atmosphere it was last year when Cal scored its first playoff win ever at the Pirates’ expense. You better believe Pitt remembers that.
- Keep an eye on the CCS playoffs this week. Serra plays Bellarmine and Valley Christian plays Oak Grove. That second game is especially intriguing, because whoever loses is eliminated from bowl contention. Calpreps.com has Valley Christian ranked No. 1 in the north’s Division II and Oak Grove is ranked No. 7 in Division I. The state bowl picture will be a lot clearer (although not altogether clear) after these two games are done.
- We’ll have a live blog this Friday coming from the De La Salle/Deer Valley game. I’ll be getting updates as usual from around the East Bay (and beyond), so be sure to check it out. Also, the Geeks have a special Thanksgiving episode planned for this week, so check that out as well.
- And finally, thanks to everyone who participated in the live blog on Saturday night. I was EXHAUSTED when I was done. We’ll try to keep the momentum rolling this week from De La Salle.
No stat updates this week, as we’re in playoff mode. We’ll still be putting a good deal of stuff up here on the blog throughout the week though, even with the holiday mixed in. So, keep an eye out.