Part of the Bay Area News Group

San Ramon 43, Monte Vista 36

By Kyle Bonagura
Friday, November 28th, 2008 at 11:26 pm in Uncategorized.

Thought I’d post this so it gets online quicker — congrats to SRV! Six straight playoff wins and they will take on the winner of Cal/Pittsburg next week.

By Kyle Bonagura, Staff Writer

DANVILLE — All year long the San Ramon Valley High football team has felt like it has been playing with something to prove. After Friday night’s thrilling 43-36 against second-seeded Monte Vista, there shoulnd’t be any doubters left.

The Wolves jumped out to a 36-14 lead on its first drive of the second half, but Monte Vista fought back with 22-straight points. Eventually tying the game on a 27-yard pass from quarterback Brett Nottingham to Tom Hemmingsen with 4:50 left in the game.

But as he has done several times over the past two seasons, San Ramon quarterback Joe Southwick stepped on the field and swiftly guided the Wolves on  79-yard touchdown drives in just six plays. Facing a third-and-six from the Monte Vista 26 yard line, Southwick rolled to his left, saw nothing, then was about ready to take off when he saw Bryce Peterson all alone in the right side of the end zone. He lofted a pass to Peterson, he made the catch and the Wolves retook the lead, 43-36.

“We had been flat the whole second half so to come out like that on that drive was huge,” Southwick said. “Monte Vista is a great team and we knew all week that this was going to be a high scoring game this time.

Brett (Nottingham) played great for them, but I think it just came down to execution.”

No stat was more telling than the turnover margin. The Wolves’ defense forced three fumbles and picked off Nottingham off four times, while the Mustangs did not force a single turnover.

The seven turnovers were simply too much for Monte Vista to overcome.

Southwick turned in a game for the history books — he completed 21-of-30 passes for 446 yards and four touchdowns and came up with a key interception with under three minutes to play that essentially sealed the game for San Ramon. Byron Gruendl caught six passes for 184 yards and scored on a 66-yard play to make the score 22-7 in the second quarter. Peterson finished with eight catches for 173 yards and two touchdowns.

“We have a great leader and quarterback in Joe Southwick and a team that is trying to prove people wrong,” Gruendl said.

The Wolves will play the winner of tonight’s game between No. 2 Pittsburg and No. 6 California.
Nottingham finished the game 28-for-45 for 384 yards and five touchdowns. Hemmingsen caught six passes for 182 yards and three scores. Little used running back Chris Borges had the game of his life, carrying the ball 25 times for 126 yards after being inserted after three first-half fumbles.

Contact Kyle Bonagura at kbonagura@bayareanewsgroup.com

No. 7 San Ramon Valley 43, No. 2 Monte Vista 36
San Ramon 16 13 7 7— 43
Monte Vista 0 14 13 9— 36
SRV — Trimble 26 pass from Southwick (Vandevanter kick)
SRV — Vandevanter 31 field goal
SRV — Peterson 9 pass from Southwick (kick failed)
MV — Tuckness 10 pass from Nottingham (Garcia kick)
SRV — Gruendl 66 pass from Southwick (kick failed)
MV — Hemmingsen 9 pass from Nottingham (Garcia kick)
SRV — Southwick 1 run (Vandevanter kick)
SRV — Southwikc 2 run (Vandevanter kick)
MV — Hemmingsen 68 pass from Nottingham (Garcia kick)
MV — Ertz 17 pass from Nottingham (pass failed)
MV — Safety
MV — Hemmingsen 27 pass from Nottingham (Garcia kick)
SRV — Peterson 26 pass from Southwick
Statistics
Rushing: SRV — Trimble 5-11, Southwick 14-2. Totals: 19-13. MV — Borges 25-126, Wilkerson 4-27, Johnson 1-0, Nottingham 9-(-2). Totals: 38-151.
Passing: SRV — Southwick 21-30-0 459. MV — Nottingham 28-45-4 384.
Receiving: SRV — Peterson 8-173,, Gruendl 6-184, Trimble 7-86, Bradley 1-3. MV — Hemmingsen 6-182, Tuckness 7-72, Ertz 7-64, Brewster 5-41, LaBarbara 3-25,
Fumbles/lost: San Ramon 1/0, Monte Vista 5/3
Records: San Ramon Valley 9-3, Monte Vista 8-3.

[You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.]

• junior

Southwick shows who’s the boss in Danville. This was supposed to be MV’s year- at least thats what the MV faithful were saying. I believe the DLS loss (in which they were down 3 scores most of the game)dropped their confidence down and they couldn’t fully recover.

Can SRV’s defense stop the run? That will be their challenege the next two weeks. if SRV can toughen up vs the run, maybe Southwick can do his magic. that is a big IF tho.

• phs04

defense wins championships… SRV’s showed up and forced key turnovers.. Now onto the Cal @ Pitt game, defense will be the focal point, and another night of great highschool ball

• http://ibaBuzz Tank

This second battle of Danville confirms that Southwick is the best QB in the Northern CA, period. His poise under pressure is a quality that can’t be taught. Also, turnovers will always be a huge part of the game and SRV was +7 in this game alone. It is clear to see that their defense is growing each week. Lastly, SRV’s late season run confirms that high school teams can’t be always judged early on since many talented players are developing throughout the year especially when many teams have policies to play seniors over otherwise deserving underclassmen whenever possible. SRV v Pitt will be a great game but SRV’s experience in the tough EBAL will prove to be the difference.

• PHS04

lol heard that bout Cal.. come on now, its the playoffs, and i am damn sure Cal played a way tougher schedule than SRV did

• http://aol.com EbalWatcher

Junior and Tank, have fun getting destroyed by Pitt next week. Your lineman won’t pick up the blitzing linebackers and Little Joe won’t have to cry about late hits like he did against Monte Vista because this time he gets tackled in the backfield, he will have the ball for a loss. And congrats on your huge win against MV too, you sure showed them how good you were when you had the ball given to you 7 times on turnovers and only scored one more time than them. Pitt won’t be this undisciplined, dropping the ball as much as they have it. I predict injuries too, because when Gruendl runs his crossing route past Pitts linebackers he’ll leave the field on a stretcher. 42-21 PITT

• junior

ebalwatcher- try some decaff… i never said SRV would win- in fact, i have stated i believe Pitt will win because SRV is a bit soft and Pitt will be able to run on them.

Where you are wrong is this game will be closer than you think. Southwick is the real deal and he will keep it somewhat close. Pitt by 7.