By Jimmy Durkin
Saturday, January 24th, 2009 at 7:38 pm in Uncategorized.
I’m perched at press row high atop McKeon Pavilion for tonight’s 8 p.m. boys basketball showdown between St. Mary’s at Salesian. The crowd is already getting packed and the stands are pretty juiced even during this JV game, which Salesian currently leads 47-36 with 3:34 left in the third period. Since I’m flying solo and also taking notes for the story I’ll be writing for the paper, I can’t provide blow-by-blow updates on here, but I’ll pop on here fairly regularly to give updates from tonight’s action. It should be a real good one. Click on the more link and read below to get the updates.
- A little late getting back on here with this, but the final was 57-45 Salesian. The Pride finished on a 19-2 run to close out the win.
- I’ll post the final in a litttle while, but Salesian is up by 10 and has this game. Going to shut down the blog and get ready to get quotes.
- Now 1:17 left. Brown at the line for the Pride after a flagrant foul on Moor (who fouls out on the play). He makes 1-of-2. Pride leads 52-45 with the ball.
- With 1:46 left, Salesian leads 50-45. St. Mary’s has the ball.
- 3:01 left in the game, Salesian leads 46-45. Simmons had 15 in the second half, 21 in the game to lead all scorers.
- A 6-0 Salesian run gives the Pride a 44-43 lead with 4:03 remaining.
- Time out with 6:40 left in game. St. Mary’s up 43-38. Updates will slow a bit from here out as I get more into note-taking.
- After three quarters, St. Mary’s 37, Salesian 36.
- St. Mary’s regains the lead with under a minute to go in the third on an alley oop from Moor to Brew. 37-36.
- With 2:05 left in the third, Salesian grabs its first lead on a Simmons free throw. 36-35.
- Going back and forth here. With 2:33 left, still tied, now at 35-35.
- Second half underway. Salesian had tied it at 31-31 with 5:20 left. Desmond Simmons has all four points this half for the Pride and 10 for the game.
- Halftime now with St. Mary’s on top 30-27. Chris Brew is the leading scorer with 12 points. Dom Lee had 9, Moore has 8 for the Panthers. Leading scorers for the Pride remain the same from the last post. Dominic Artis also had 4.
- Time out St. Mary’s with 22.2 left in the second quarter. Jabari Brown just made his first field goal of the season, a 3-pointer that made it 30-27. He’s now got 5 points. Tagaloa and Simmons lead Salesian with 6.
- Time out Salesian with 2:55 left in the second. St. Mary’s lead 28-19. Brew leads the way with 10, Moore had 8 and Dom Lee had 7. Desmond Simmons leads Salesian now with 6, giving him 1,023 for his career (he topped the 1,000 point mark three nights ago against St. Joe’s.
- With 4:53 left in the second quarter, it’s St. Mary’s 21, Salesian 17.
- First quarter is over and St. Mary’s leads 16-9. Brew had 7 points and Aalim Moor has 6 for the Panthers. Tagaloa still leads Salesian with 4.
- Time out St. Mary’s with 1:04 left in the first quarter. St. Mary’s lead 11-9. Chris Brew leads St. Mary’s with 5 points, Freddie Tagaloa lead the Pride with 4.
- With 1:57 left in the first, St. Mary’s leads 10-7.
- Midway through the first quarter, St. Mary’s is up 6-4.
- Just a few minutes away now. I’ve snapped a picture of what these teams are playing for “The Rock.” It’s a little blurry, but I’m kind of far away.
- Both teams have taken the court now. Pretty defeaning for both entrances from their fans. This is going to be fun. I’ve spotted SMC coach Randy Bennett rocking what appears to be a velour SMC athletic suit.
- JV game just ended. Salesian won 59-54. Varsity should get started in about 15 minutes or so.