By Ben Enos
Saturday, February 21st, 2009 at 1:13 pm in Wrestling.
Since the BVAL meet went long last night, I didn’t have a chance to post any thoughts from the tourney. So, here they are.
- Yes, Liberty is just that good. Six champions last night. David Klingsheim is a stone-cold lock to get back to state and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them walk away with three or more NCS titles.
- I thought Freedom underperformed a little. Of course, that sets them up to be underestimated next week at NCS. Don’t underestimate the Falcons. They’ll be ready next week.
- I really like the way Antioch’s’ Anthony Cress wrestles. I don’t know if he will give De La Salle’s Tyler Sheridan a run at NCS, but I would be surprised if he doesn’t qualify for state.
- Deer Valley is a steadily improving program. Philip Farmer, Ace Pitman and Joe Malolo all won league titles and they all looked good doing it.
- And finally, props to Pittsburg’s James Jimenez, who brought the Pirates a title at 160 pounds. It’s not the easiest weight class at NCS this year, but no one can take the league title away from him.
So, things are rounding into shape for next week’s NCS tournament. League finals are currently taking place and they’ll figure out the seeds tomorrow morning at College Park. They’ll be posted on the NCS web site on Monday, so we’ll all find out together who’s seeded where.