By Phil Jensen
Wednesday, February 9th, 2011 at 10:09 pm in Uncategorized.
Schools could be held responsible for a lack of administrative oversight affecting ineligible athletes if an item passes in a state Federated Council vote in April, California Interscholastic Federation Executive Director Marie Ishida said Wednesday in a press conference call.
The item deals with administrative errors such as the failure of the school administration to submit the proper CIF Section eligibility application or form which, if it had been submitted in a timely manner and reviewed by the section, would have resulted in no eligibility limitations.
The penalty on a school’s first offense would be either a forfeiture of the initial game won or tied in which the ineligible athlete played (and only that game) or a fine. On a school’s second offense, both penalties would be applied.
If the item is passed, it will be incorporated the next school year, Ishida said. The meeting is scheduled for April 29 in Milpitas.
Ishida said that there are no changes planned to CIF Bylaw 510, which has been at the heart of recent ineligibility cases involving Salesian High boys basketball player Jabari Bird and Berkeley student Khristina Hunter, a girls basketball player.
“If we can make it clearer for schools, we will look at that,” Ishida said.
A regional state football format will also be voted on in April, Ishida said. If passed, the North and South regional games in each division would begin in December 2012.