One question we got early in the process was to work on an alumni watch, so we figured a brief update on our last two recruiting classes might be in order. Jimmy will handle the Cream of the Crop class of 2010, I’ll take 2011.
1. George Atkinson III Granada ATH Notre Dame – Will likely see time on special teams as a true freshman. According to reports, is also an emergency option in the backfield.
2. Marcus Peters McClymonds CB Washington – Listed on the depth chart at cornerback. Might redshirt still, but might not depending on injury situations.
3. Travis Feeney Pinole Valley LB Washington – Has impressed in practice, but depth at safety might allow him to sit a year. Got good reviews in camp.
4. Dylan Wynn De La Salle DE Oregon State – Was a training camp standout, and will not redshirt. Should see time on special teams, at least. All reports have been glowing so far.
5. Blake Renaud De La Salle LB Boise State – Also a training camp standout, also will not redshirt and will play on special teams for sure. Also on the depth chart at LB.
6. Josh Atkinson Granada CB Notre Dame – In position to redshirt for a year. Got some looks in the return game, but won’t be counted on for a year in South Bend.
7. Ricky Lloyd Concord QB Southern Miss. – Currently sits behind a couple older QBs for the backup spot. Might still redshirt, but reports have said that he’s physically and mentally ready to play.
8. Carlyle Garrick Castro Valley LB Oregon – Appears on the Oregon roster, but chances are he’ll redshirt. Missed his senior year at Castro Valley, but still thought of as phenomenal athlete.
9. Roydon Fonua Fremont DL Undecided – No info.
10. Isaiah Henderson Berkeley OL San Diego State – Not listed on SDSU roster.
11. Jared Leaf Alhambra RB Hawaii – Listed on the depth chart at RB. He’s in the mix to get carries, and likely won’t redshirt.
12. Kevin Chase Concord DL San Diego State – Not listed on SDSU roster.
13. Darrell Greene Freedom OL San Diego State – On the SDSU roster and slated to play guard. I would imagine he’s still pointed towards a redshirt, but maybe not.
14. Maurice Poyadue Alhambra DL Fresno State – Bulldogs have a track record of redshirting their freshmen, and Poyadue seems a likely candidate for that.
15. Jacob Welter Monte Vista OL Ohio – Listed on Ohio’s roster. Coming out of high school, was thought of as a strong redshirt possibility.
16. Lyonel Louis El Cerrito LB Undecided – No info
17. Jalen Rosales Berkeley DL Undecided – Pointed towards Army along with St. Mary’s grad Chris Carnegie. I believe they’ll go to prep school first.
18. Josh Morrow Encinal OL Undecided – No info.
19. Wendell Taiese McClymonds OL Washington State – Still pointed toward becoming a Cougar, but reports have him playing at a JC this year.
20. Trevor Davis Alhambra WR Hawaii – On the roster at Hawaii, but no word on whether he’ll redshirt or not.
Here’s the 2010 guys, in numerical order. This class is utterly ridiculously good!
1. Brett Nottingham, Monte Vista: Nottingham is at Stanford and I wouldn’t expect to see him on the field too much this year, not with some guy named Andrew Luck as the starting quarterback. But Nottingham is in the mix to be Luck’s backup. The depth chart lists him even with Robbie Picazo and Josh Nune. It’s likely that Nottingham is viewed as the QB of the future for Stanford and could take over the starting job after Luck. He will be a redshirt freshman this year.
2. Fred Thompson, Oakland Tech: Thompson, a DT, grey-shirted last year at Oregon State, not enrolling until the winter. He’s on the roster now, but often grey shirts (who do not practice with the team) red shirt the following year, so I’m guessing that’s a possibility.
3. Erick Dargan, Pittsburg: Dargan redshirted last year at Oregon. He had five tackles and an interception in the spring game this year. He could see action on special teams as redshirt freshman.
4: Dave Wilkerson, Monte Vista: Wilkerson saw action in three games off the bench at Cal last year before being injured. He was granted a medical redshirt and returns as a freshman. He’s projected as a starting outside linebacker for the Golden Bears.
5: Sean Mannion, Foothill: Mannion is sitting at No. 3 on the QB depth chart for Oregon State and will be a redshirt freshman this year. He’s been in tight competition with Cody Vaz for the No. 2 spot.
6: Ryan Murphy, Oakland Tech: Murphy is also at Oregon State and is the No. 3 safety for the Beavers as a redshirt freshman. He’s projected to have a bright future.
7. Toni Pole, James Logan: Pole is a redshirt freshman at Washington State and a projected started as the left defensive tackle.
8. Rickey Galvin, Berkeley: Galvin was supposed to return kicks for Washington State last year but was injured early. He received a medical redshirt and is the No. 2 running back on the depth chart this year.
9. Forrest Hightower, Concord: Hightower redshirted last year at San Jose State and enters this year as a backup cornerback for the Spartans.
10. Damante Horton, Oakland: Horton, another Washington State guy, is the first on the list who saw significant playing time as a freshman. He played in seven games, recording 15 tackles. He returns as a starting corner back for the Cougs.
11. DiAndre Campbell, Oakland Tech: Campbell is at Washington and will be a redshirt freshman. He had a great camp, it’s been said, and could earn his way into the WR rotation. Check out this video.
12. Kristoff Williams, Deer Valley: Williams redshirted at Washington State and is listed as WR for the Cougars. He’s not listed on the depth chart, but could see action.
13. Tyrone Duckett, Encinal: Yet another Washington State guy. He also redshirted last year and is No. 3 on the depth chart at strong safety.
14. Adonis Smith, Serra/Bishop O’Dowd: This is from the days when we included the San Mateo area in Cream of the Crop, although Smith is from Oakland and a former O’Dowd player. Smith played nine games as a freshman RB at Northwestern, carrying 46 times for 196 yards. He entered fall camp as a co-backup at RB, but did not make the two-deep chart for the opener.
15. Vince Buhagiar, Clayton Valley: The LB at San Jose State may have had the best freshman year of this class. He was a third-team Phil Steele Freshman All-American and was fifth nationally among freshman with 89 tackles. He started all 13 games for the Spartans and was second on the team and ninth in the WAC in tackles.
16. Robert Jiles, Pittsburg: Signed with Washington State, but isn’t on the roster.
17. Tracy Clark, Pittsburg: Clark redshirted at Washington State and is now listed as the No. 3 left cornerback.
18. Sione Tupouata, Fremont: Tupouata played at Snow College in Utah last year and had 55 tackles and six sacks. He should play again this year for Snow and has committed to playing for Utah, just as he did out of high school, and should join them in 2012 for his junior year.
19. Cedric Lousi, Washington: Lousi played in all 13 games as a DE for San Jose State last year and made 26 tackles and had 1.5 sacks. He’s a returning starter at DE for the Spartans.
20. Terron Ward, De La Salle: Ward, who grey shirted, is a freshman at Oregon State and could see time as a backup running back and a kick returner. Here’s a little more on him.