By Jimmy Durkin
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 at 1:54 pm in East Bay Football.
The Fremont High football team forfeited Saturday’s varsity and junior varsity season-opening football games against Chowchilla.
Tigers coach Isamu Falevai said Fremont athletic director Darlene Miller informed Chowchilla last week that the Tigers were forfeiting the games because they did not have enough eligible players. Falevai said it was a combination of players who had not fulfilled academic requirements and players who had not yet participated in the 10 days of practice required by the California Interscholastic Federation to play in a game.
Some players got their physicals late in the summer and that prevented them from participating in enough practices, Falevai said. He expects to have enough eligible players for Fremont’s Sept. 10 game against Galileo-San Francisco.
“We’re working hard on building it up so that we get more numbers,” Falevai said.
The junior varsity team will forfeit at least its first two games, possibly more, Falevai said.