By Matt Artz
Tuesday, April 27th, 2010 at 12:48 am in Uncategorized.
We’re going to be analyzing and fact-checking campaign mailers for the Bob Wieckowski – Garrett Yee Assembly Democratic Primary this June. First up is Ohlone College Trustee Garrett Yee. A mailer supporting his campaign went last week.
A few things to note:
1) Yee’s campaign didn’t pay for this. The mailer was funded by Californians Allied for Patient Protection, a state campaign committee funded by the medical industry and health care insurers.
2) Limits on medical malpractice awards could be an issue in the next legislative session. This group’s main purpose is to protect legislation that capped medical malpractice awards. There is a drive rewrite that legislation. The health care industry, which is supporting Yee, likely doesn’t trust Wieckowski on this matter, given that Wieckowski is getting a lot of money from trial attorneys.
3) This piece may have been funded by insurance and medical interests, but its target appears to be Hispanic voters. Yee’s wife, Maria, who’s Hispanic, is featured prominently and the two endorsements come from Hispanic politicians.
4) No tall tales. He’s not taking credit anything the Ohlone Board did as a group or stretching the facts. There’s really nothing to fact check in this piece.
5) He picked former State Sen. Liz Figueroa to say a few nice things about him. I saw Figueroa at Wieckoski’s campaign kick-off She says she isn’t endorsing either candidate. She also said she signed off on the Yee flier, but that, if asked, she would also willingly provide kind words for a Wieckowski mailer.