By Matt Artz
Tuesday, December 14th, 2010 at 6:15 pm in Uncategorized.
Not much time today for a lot of analysis. But here’s how I see the candidates breaking down.
1) Dominic Dutra — Only Chris De Benedetti has better hair. Also, the best dancer in Fremont politics.
2) Judy Zlatnik – Provides the most continuity in the sense that she’s a lefty in the mold of Wieckowski.
New Blood Favorite
1) David Bonaccorsi – Probably has the most to gain from Dirk Lorenz pulling out. Like Lorenz, Bonaccorsi is a Fremont lifer, whose done lots of civic work and and suffered through Planning Commission meetings.
1) Raj Salwan – Classic compromise candidate. Relatively well-liked, no enemies on the council, very active in the Democratic Party, contributes money to local candidates, volunteers in civic organizations. But no Planning Commission experience.
2) Moina Shaiq – Similar to Salwan, only tighter with her political checkbook. Both serve on the Human Relations Commission.
Good Resume But Good Luck Getting Three Four Votes
1) Yogi Chugh — He’s worked hard for the party, contributed money, and served on the Planning Commission. He’s also got some folks campaigning for him.
2)Rakesh Sharma — A doctor, Niles Rotarian and Planning Commissioner. But most likely not a council member.
3) Vinnie Bacon — Imagine if instead of having the mayor nominate planning commissioners, Fremont would or could allow each council member to select a commissioner and then let the mayor select the remaining three. Wieckowski could have selected Tahmasbi, maybe Natarajan appoints Bacon. All of sudden, you have a much more dynamic and interesting Planning Commission. But enough about that, Bacon has no shot.
No Ohlone Way
1) Bob Brunton — One thing I know about the Fremont City Council, they hate drama.
2) Teresa Cox — Nice woman. I remember interviewing Cox when she was running against Brunton for the Ohlone Board. After some name-dropping, she made a point of showing me her campaign business card and explaining the symbolism of her colors and logo. I wonder if she thought that was going to be in the story.
Probably should have applied for the Recreation Commission
1) Robert Carothers – Co-owner of Cici’s in Niles with a background in accounting.
2) Toai Le – An engineer, who, according to his resume, is active in Ardenwood and Vietnamese fraternal groups
3) James Thomas – Taught at Ohlone, worked most recently on the Census.
Last But Never Least
Linda Susoev — I’ve talked to a few Fremont folks over the years who couldn’t name the mayor or any council member, but they sure had heard of Linda Susoev. Not a bad consolation prize.