By Marcus Thompson
Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 at 1:52 pm in Uncategorized.
A few notes heading into tonight’s game …
* Jamal Crawford will start at point guard tonight, his first game with the Warriors. He crammed last night trying to learn the plays. He said this afternoon that there are about seven or eight plays he knows well enough to run right now. He likely won’t hardly need that many
* Either swingman Kelenna Azubuike or guard Anthony Morrow will start next to Crawford. That’s not much news, accept they didn’t know which one yet (Nellie wasn’t at shootaround by the time I arrived). Whichever player starts, the other figures to get a chunk of minutes off the bench. Morrow figures to be the likely starter, as Azubuike is diverse in his game and can come in for any situation, whether they need scoring, rebounding, defense, penetration, etc.
* Corey Maggette, who missed Monday’s practice with flu-like symptoms, was at shootaround and looked fine, like his normal self. I didn’t get a chance to talk to him, but it looks like he’ll be ready to play.
* Eddie Jordan’s firing might a bad thing for the Warriors, I think. Firings wake players up. Teams often play well for a new coach, if for nothing else than to prove they need to be on the court. I am expecting Washington go all out tonight. Unless … they want to protest Jordan’s firing by playing poorly and showing it wasn’t Jordan’s fault.
* I talked to a couple people on the team and the feeling is that Wright and Randolph are going to start getting consistent minutes. Maggette’s minutes being cut back opens up minutes for Wright at the four. But Randolph’s minutes should come at the three, backing up Stephen Jackson. With Turiaf backing up Biedrins, that means Wright/Randolph and Biedrins or Turiaf could get more time together. We’ll see. It’s all hunches and feeling at this point.