* That was, IMHO, Jackson’s best defensive performance of the year. He was locked in on D for
about as long a stretch as you can expect from a leading scorer. He guarded Chris Paul, Peja Stojakovic and, in the fourth quarter, David West. There was one sequence when West was making his move against Jax and was called for a travel. Jax beat his chest and screamed “I got him!”
If they can get him to play that way every night, they would be much better defensively.
* Monta still doesn’t look like Monta. But Crawford doesn’t look good with Monta either. He hit the big shot at the end, but that saved him from another poor performance. Is it Monta or the knee?
* A funny moment last night. With about 25 seconds left in the half, the ball wound up in Maggette’s hands. His teammates were yelling and gesturing for him to slow it up for one shot. Jackson was screaming like crazy from the defensive end of the court, like Maggette had stolen his wallet. “Heeeeeeeeeeey! Heeeeeeeeey!”
Maggette either didn’t see or hear anybody, or just didn’t care. He went coast to coast, getting a lay-up and a foul with 20 seconds left. With a smirk on his face, Jax rolled his eyes and shook his head. It was hilarious.
* let it be known I still think Ronny should start at the four, especially with Brandan out. What’s the advantage of having Buike play that position?
* Speaking of Buike, anybody notice a rare loss of composure in the first half? About midway through the second quarter, he drove to the basket and endured quote a bit of contact. Not only did he not get the call, he hit the ground hard. Build got up slowly and limped a bit as he jogged up court. Devin Brown was driving to the cup on the other end and Buike – who was 2-for-8 at the point with a few in-and-out shots, and still smarting over the fall — planted a good hard foul on Brown, sending him to the floor.
“He was going to get a layup,” Buike said. “Plus I was late getting back on defense, I had to do something.”