By Marcus Thompson
Monday, March 26th, 2012 at 3:25 pm in Uncategorized.
Last summer, Warriors PG Stephen Curry flew toBaltimoreto meet with Dr. Mark Myerson, a renowned ankle specialist. The purpose was to get an opinion on rehab exercises and some advice on what he could do to strengthen his ankle. After being examined, Dr. Myerson came back with bad news.
CURRY: “He dropped the bomb that my ligaments were done and surgery was necessary. And he told me that right on the spot.”
So the good news, in Curry’s mind, out of his trip toLos Angelesankle specialist Dr. Richard Ferkle on Thursday was that he did not get a bomb dropped on him.
Curry’s fate for the remainder of the season will be officially decided today or Tuesday. Once Ferkle makes his recommendation, the Warriors and Curry will decide on how to proceed.
Curry said he wants to play this season. He hasn’t given up hope. But it definitely seems the constant ankle troubles has worn him down some.
CURRY: “I’m just trying to make the right decision. At this point, I’ve run my ankle into the ground trying to play on it injured. I think its about that time to just really keep the grand scheme of my career on the forefront and worry about that so I’m not coming back next year and we have a healthy lineup and I’m the only one that’s banged up. I don’t want that to be the case. At his time. We’re just waiting to see what the next step is. Still don’t know.”
Here are some other comments Curry gave after his light workout Monday.
Q: How did it go?
“It went well. Just trying to get a second opinion, an outside opinion from a specialist who’s seen a lot of different ankles.
“Thankfully, he didn’t come back with terrible news right away. I think that was the best thing we took away from that visit. He was going over all my images from all year, basically the whole medical history of my ankle, and just try to give me a recommendation on how to move forward from here.”
Q: Are you prepared for the outcome?
“I’ve just been sticking to rehab I’m doing here and watching these guys play. I haven’t really thought about all the options really. Obviously I’m trying to play as soon as possible, so it would be some bad news if that was not the case for me. I want to get healthy, but I also want to play and finish the season strong. If there’s a reason that I will need to sit out the rest of the year, obviously I have to listen to that. I’m hoping that’s not the case.”
Q: Is it still as tough to sit out?
“It’s still tough. It’s just a frustrating season overall for me personally, but there are still games to be played. I still want to be around to cheer my teammates on. It’s frustrating when you, especially when the adrenalin starts going in games like last night, you want to be out there. I don’t think it’s any easier than my earlier hiatuses, I guess you’d call them.”
How close are you to 100 percent?
“Obviously when you’re trying to compete throughout the course of the season and dealing with this kind of injury, frankly, you’re 100 percent is not truly 100 percent. You feel like you want to be able to play and whenever you feel like you can move around – I know there’s still something wrong with it but if feels like you’re ready to go, you make that call. Now it’s about being pain free. It’s hard to put a number on where I am now because I haven’t been able to get on the court. Today’s shooting was the first time I’ve actually done that since I’ve been hurt. I didn’t have any pain there. Hopefully, I can knock that up after the doctor calls back today or tomorrow. It’s hard to put a umber where I am. Hopefully I can get back to 100 percent. Still 5 weeks left in the season. I’ve already been out two so we have some time. Hopefully it keeps getting better.
Q: Why not shut it down?
“If I get to 100 percent where I’m not at risk of doing the same thing again, it’s more for me to go out there and get some reps and keep working my game. It’s obviously a long time ‘til October or whenever training camp would start back up. That’s a long time to not log some minutes in an actual game. We’re obviously a long way away from a playoff spot, so I don’t think that’s a … we’re still competing and we’re still going out there and play. So if I’m ready to go, it’s my job to go out there and play.”
Trying to prove something?
I’m just trying to make the right decision. At this point, I’ve run my ankle into the ground trying to play on it injured. I think its about that time to just really keep the grand scheme of my career on the forefront and worry about that so I’m not coming back next year and we have a healthy lineup and I’m the only one that’s banged up. I don’t want that to be the case. At his time. We’re just waiting to see what the next step is. Still don’t know.
Q: Did the L.A. visit give you hope?
“He didn’t say surgery now. That was big. … Hopefully whatever he says doesn’t start with the word S.