RYSE YOUTH CENTER CELEBRATES FIVE YEAR ANNIVERSARY & Hosts 2nd Annual Winter Wonderland Community Event
What: RYSE Center 2nd Annual Winter Wonderland and FiveYear Anniversary Community Event
Where: RYSE CENTER, 205 41st Street (at Macdonald Avenue), Richmond, CA
When: Saturday, December 14, 2013, 12 noon – 4 p.m.
RICHMOND, Calif… The RYSE Youth Center will be celebrating five years of youth empowerment and community service by hosting its 2nd Annual Winter Wonderland Community Event.
RYSE’s Winter Wonderland, a free community event, will include a toy giveaway for newborns and kids up to 12 years old, music, arts and crafts activities, tree decorating and more! The purpose of this event is to bring communities together, support youth and their families in celebrating the holiday season, and honor RYSE’s fiveyear anniversary and commitment to serving young people in the community.
The Center opened its doors to the community on October 18, 2008 after a string of youthrelated homicides near Richmond High School in 2000 mobilized students to take action to address the violence and lack of safety at school and in the community. Students organized vigils and community forums with more than 1,500 youth and community members, and met and worked with local officials and stakeholders on a comprehensive assessment of youthidentified priorities and solutions.
RYSE Youth Center
Grounded in social justice, RYSE builds youth power for young people ages 1321 living in Richmond and West Contra Costa County to love, learn, educate, heal and transform lives and communities.
Since 2008, more than 3,000 young people have participated in programs and activities. For more information go to www.rysecenter.org.
Each spring for the past few years Richmond has bestowed awards for historic preservation efforts. This isn’t one of them, but it deserves recognition.
It’s a functioning, old school phone booth that survives in the Richmond Memorial Auditorium at Civic Center Plaza. The auditorium and the rest of the plaza were renovated four years ago and a bank of phone booths (phones long since yanked) in the lobby were removed.
But a built-in booth at the end of one hallway remains, still with a phone, the little table underneath, and a folding door.
Even better, there is still a directory (the 2002 West Contra Costa phone book from SBC) attached to the wall inside an original Yellow Pages protective cover (below).
If you have pressing business to conduct with the City of El Cerrito, do it before Christmas Eve or wait until 2014.
Like most municipalities in the area, El Cerrito is shutting down between Christmas and New Year’s — with one exception. City offices will be open Dec. 30, because it was felt the downtime would be too long.
Here is the announcement from the city:
With the exception of Monday, December 30, 2013, City Hall and the Community Center Offices will be closed for the winter holiday period beginning Tuesday, December 24, 2013 through Friday, January 3, 2014 to facilitate the consolidation of employee vacation schedules and to save energy.
Other offices and facilities also have a modified schedule during this timeframe. Please refer to the City’s website, http://www.el-cerrito.org for full details about holiday hours for City offices and facilities.
Direct link: http://www.el-cerrito.org/winterbreakschedule
The El Cerrito Police & Fire Departments operate 365 days per year.
If you need immediate assistance from the police or fire department, dial 9-1-1.
If a Public Works emergency occurs while the office is closed, call the police non-emergency dispatch number at 510-237-3233.
Swim Center: Go to the Swim Center page for more details about the December Swim Center Schedule.
Holiday Break Camp: The Recreation Department offers a Holiday Break Camp for students in grades K-6. Pre-registration is required: Holiday Break Camp Information
Contra Costa County –The connector ramp from westbound State Route 4 to westbound Interstate 80 and the eastbound John Muir Parkway/State Route 4 on-ramp to westbound I-80 will be closed Monday night, December 9, from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. This closure is necessary to replace striping.
Detour: Take eastbound Interstate 80 and exit at Willow Avenue. Turn right on Willow Avenue and turn left on the westbound I-80 on-ramp.
This work is weather dependent, and if delayed due to weather conditions will be rescheduled. Please drive cautiously through the construction zone and leave a safe traveling distance between your vehicle and the vehicle ahead of you. Please remember to “Slow for the Cone Zone.”
The I-80 Integrated Corridor Mobility project will provide safety improvements for the traveling public; mobility and efficiency during commute hours; automated, integrated technology to manage traffic efficiently; real-time traffic information for travelers; with tax dollars funding SMART solutions.
Follow us on Twitter @CaltransD4. Follow the project at #80ICM. For more information, please visit the webpage at http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist4/projects/80icm/
The Oakland Tribune covers the repeal of prohibition on Dec. 5, 1933, enacted after an anxious nation waited to see if Utah would ratify the amendment. Not shown is the portion of the story assuring readers that local breweries are in operation on a 24-hour schedule to meet the expected demand. The federal government also prepared to release its supplies of “medicinal liquor.”
The Broadcast Legends group announces that Roy Trumbull, a longtime El Cerrito resident and member of the Bay Area Radio Hall of Fame, has died:
Roy Howard Trumbull Nov. 28, 1939 – Nov. 25, 2013 Resident of El Cerrito Roy died peacefully 3 days shy of his 74th birthday at his home. Family surrounded him with love and life in his last days. He is survived by his wife of 48 years, Pat Trumbull. He is remembered as a loving father by daughter Erica Ilana Trumbull, and son David Ian Trumbull and as a loving grandfather by Loveday & Miles Harrison Trumbull and Isaac & Cedar Trumbull-Stearns. Roy was born in San Francisco to Lyman Barney Trumbull and Sue Helen Trumbull (nee Higgins) and lived most of his life in view of the Golden Gate Bridge. A broadcast engineering legend, he was honored by the Bay Area Radio Hall of Fame just days before his final struggle to live a little bit longer in the shadow of a long battle with bladder cancer. As a testament to a life well lived, Roy will be remembered for the many stories he told and recorded as the Storyspieler (www.Storyspieler.net) and the folk songs he remembered and shared. A celebration of his life will be held on Sunday, December 8, 2pm, Temple Beth Hillel, 801 Park Center, Richarmond, CA (just off 80 at Hilltop). Please email memories and requests to be notified of the date and location to RoyTrumbullLife@comcast.net Donations in Roy’s memory may be made to the California Historical Radio Society www.californiahistoricalradio.com or Temple Beth Hillel in Richmond, Ca. or a charity of your choice.
Note the highlighted names in this article from the Dec. 10, 1949 Berkeley Daily Gazette.
The degrees of separation between Sundar Shadi, who started El Cerrito’s most beloved Christmas tradition, and the Grateful Dead, the San Francisco band that left a cult of followers as part of its legacy, is shorter than you might imagine. And earlier.
All three of Shadi’s daughters — Zilpha, Ramona and Verna — performed in concert with Phil Lesh, the future bass player of the Dead, 64 years ago this month with the Kensington School orchestra at a holiday pageant. The four were in elementary school and 9-year-old Phil (the Lesh family lived on Edgecroft Road in Kensington at the time) was then playing violin and would not meet Jerry Garcia for another 13 years. (Someone, somewhere must have a snapshot of this performance.)
You won’t find this footnote in the new documentary “Sundar Shadi’s Gifts,” but you will learn more about the man who gave a lasting gift and message to his community. You’ll also learn about the family that indulged Mr. Shadi’s passion for elaborate displays.
“Sundar Shadi’s Gifts” can now be streamed from the city’s website and will soon be available to borrow from the El Cerrito Library, 6510 Stockton Ave., or rent at Silver Screen Video at El Cerrito Plaza. (Full disclosure: The author of this post was interviewed for the documentary.)
You can also get a copy when the display, now staged by a team of volunteers, opens from 5 to 10 p.m. nightly from Dec. 14 to Dec. 26. Or better yet, you can be part of the tradition by volunteering.
Mr. Shadi’s figures in their original location on the Arlington.
Grateful Dead guitarist and vocalist Phil Lesh, here performing during the band’s 2009 concert at Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View, got his musical start in Kensington. (D. Ross Cameron/Staff)
Here’s young John Fogerty in what we have to assume was his first media exposure. This 1947 picture on the local page of the Berkeley Gazette has him shilling for the annual Country Fair on the playground at El Cerrito Preschool Cooperative. Lucile Fogerty, the mother of the future rock and roll legend was a strong supporter of ECPC, founded in 1940 and still in operation today. (The address of the Fogerty family home in the original caption is slightly wrong, since El Cerrito High is on the even side of the street.)
Support for co-ops was not uncommon in the Fogerty family. Robert Fogerty, father of Credence Clearwater Revival founders John and Tom, was made general manager of the Consumers Cooperative of Berkeley in November 1944. According to the Berkeley Gazette item below, the senior Fogerty, who had formerly worked for the Gazette, helped found and managed the El Cerrito location of the famed Berkeley Co-op. While the item states that the store he had managed was at Colusa Circle, the 1943 telephone directory lists its address as 406 Colusa Ave., which would put it just north of Fairmount Avenue.
The dappled sky above the West County Times office at Marina Bay in Richmond was quite striking and somewhat reminiscent of … something. Something we’d seen somewhere, maybe in Berkeley a few years back.
The restored exterior with sign of the Riggers Loft.
A dilapidated warehouse building that probably shouldn’t have survived until now is the newest example of efforts in Richmond to retain and restore historically significant sites.
The Riggers Loft and Paint Shop, one of the few remaining buildings from the four Kaiser shipyards of World War II that once dominated the city’s waterfront, was an unlikely candidate for renovation, a point that was made during City Council discussions on its fate.
Wooden beams holding up the roof were rotting and the ceiling was on the verge of collapse. The original metal roll-up doors were rusting.
Today, there is new timber next to original pieces of lumber supporting the ceiling. The corrugated roll-up doors have been replaced and the outside has replications of the original art deco letters used for the building signs.
The building, located in the Port of Richmond next to the SS Red Oak Victory, was dedicated at Veterans Day ceremonies on Nov. 11 and speakers lauded its completion and addition to sites in the city’s Rosie the Riveter national park (see video below) before cutting the ribbon that dedicated the renovation.
And it appears that two more buildings at the Port of Richmond that once were part of Kaiser shipard No. 3 will be renovated.
In his remarks in the video below, port director Jim Matzorkis says negotiations are being finalized with the port’s master tenant for revitalization of the General Warehouse building and talks are underway on renovating the remaining cafeteria building on the port property.
Anita Black is presented with a plaque in honor of her late brother Bill Jackson, chief engineer emeritus of the SS Red Oak Victory. Notice the new and old timbers in the ceiling.
Video of the dedication of the Riggers Loft includes remarks by the port director on plans to renovate two other former shipyard buildings:
This view shows the SS Red Oak Victory at left, the Riggers Loft at center and the General Warehouse at right.
A closer view of the General Warehouse.
The long-vacant building that was once a cafeteria for higher up personnel at the Kaiser shipyard.