Southeast corner of The Alameda at Hopkins today and in 1950, when there was a Mobil
station on the corner, now Chevron.
Hopkins Street at The Alameda in Berkeley looks much the same in these views from 1950 and today. Sure, the cars have changed, power lines are not visible, potholes are larger, home prices have increased dramatically, and there’s now a traffic signal, but the visual landmarks are there and even many of the trees don’t seem much larger.
The intersection has long had a charm because of its neighborhood gas station, which retains much of its original architecture, even though some modern pump islands have been added. Neighborhood service stations of this type are increasingly rare, particularly in Berkeley.
But as these photos show, there were once competing neighborhood stations across the street from each other. The Standard Oil station, predecessor to today’s Chevron, was once on the north side of the intersection, and a Mobil Oil station was on the south corner. The Chevron station today is on the south corner and a home occupies the north corner. Also note the interesting diamond pattern in the crosswalk in 1950.
Northeast corner of The Alameda at Hopkins Street today and in 1950, when the Standard
(Chevron) station was on the corner.